Get those Credit Cards ready!!

Jasonlh1

With the true calm before the storm, now is a good time to make sure you have all the credit card accounts you need for the holidays. Most department stores love to push new accounts on BF (BB, CC, Target etc.) However, this creates chaos at the check out lines. Most large electronic stores offer great financing plans, but you must use their department store card for that. So as we get closer to the upcoming holiday rush, I recommend that you look through your purse and wallets to make sure you have those shinny plastic cards for all your BF purchases.

I see people debating between cash and credit. I say credit ALWAYS beats cash (if you pay in full). The last time I checked, you can't get rewards points (cashback, gift cards, etc) for writing a check. I surely don't intend to pay interest on my Black Friday purchases, but I will gladly accept cash back from Discover, Citi, etc :).

We've just paid off all of out credit cards. I'm pretty hesitant about racking them up again. I think I'll just start stashing away some money out of every paycheck to use for shopping.

I hate using credit cards too! I've been stashing 5.00 bills each week. Of course if I see something on sale I go into my stash now.

• 2 weeks later...

With the true calm before the storm, now is a good time to make sure you have all the credit card accounts you need for the holidays. Most department stores love to push new accounts on BF (BB, CC, Target etc.) However, this creates chaos at the check out lines. Most large electronic stores offer great financing plans, but you must use their department store card for that. So as we get closer to the upcoming holiday rush, I recommend that you look through your purse and wallets to make sure you have those shinny plastic cards for all your BF purchases.

I read in the newspaper that is not good for a person to open a store account much less have several of them. It will lower your credit score dramatically.

I google and found this-

Article from CnnMoney.com

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/10/pf/credit_killers/index.htm

Too many in-store cards

It's always a temptation at the checkout line, but signing up for a Home Depot, Macy's or any in-store credit card just to get a 10 percent or 15 percent discount may work against your FICO score.

Even if you vow to promptly pay them off, opening up several of these accounts in succession could spell trouble for your score because opening multiple lines of credit in short period of time is considered abnormal behavior by credit agencies, according to Fair Isaac, and it suggests that you might be more of a credit risk.

We are using cash. I have been saving all my change through the year and I have a TON! I will cash it in and take the other cash we have saved.

That's a great idea! I think I will try doing this for next BF. I just have to find a good hiding spot so I can keep it from the kids. My daughter is always asking for quarters to wash her car.lol.

I have a Target Visa because they give 1% back to schools. I have my old elementary school as the designated school. Plus, the last two years Target has had a deal that if you spend $250 at Target between a certain date and like December 22nd, you get a 10% off certificate. I'll probably end up spending that much between Black Friday and the week before Christmas IF they offer it again this year. Usually it takes awhile to accumlate the points for 10% off certificate.

We have one of those water jugs that we dump all of our change into, plus we'll plunk the occassional $5, $10, or even $20 down in there.. Neither one of us has credit cards. Not for lack of trying but apparently you have to have credit to get credit. :P