Holiday Events in Your Area...

Gporter34

we have the fall parade in october i think right before halloween.they line up in frot of our house and its a mad house then. i think we have a small christmas parade but it is way up in town we dont usually go to that.and right over the bridge in jan 1 is the mummers parade.i never heard of the mummers til moving here

we have the fall parade in october i think right before halloween.they line up in frot of our house and its a mad house then. i think we have a small christmas parade but it is way up in town we dont usually go to that.and right over the bridge in jan 1 is the mummers parade.i never heard of the mummers til moving here

I've never heard of the Mummers either.

http://www.callawaygardens.com/callawayassets/gallery/hero.fantasyinlights.L.jpg

Fantasy in Light at Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA. It's a great drive-thru light display that we go to each year. After driving through this 8,000,000 light ride in your car or one of the trams you can stop by "Santa's Village" for a homemade gingerbread man and some hot chocolate, it's great!

http://www.callawaygardens.com/info/calendar/callawaycalendarevent.fantasy_in_lights.item.asp

We have small towns in the Hill Country of Texas that have light displays... you can drive from town to town and check them out.. on weekends some of the towns have festivals and stuff... we love to do that on a Saturday night.

Our church also has a "Road to Bethleham" program we do the first weekend in December. We have it out on our 20 acres... we don't have a building yet so we've got LOTS of space... it's at night with music and narrative... the story of Jesus birth.. we have SO much fun doing it! Lots of lights... different scenes... angels in an Oak tree .... we keep trying to find live sheep but we're not too successful... so we end up having goats.. :P Last year one escaped.... too funny watching our pastor and others trying to catch the goat in the dark while the show went on...

I've never heard of the Mummers either.

Mummers are a Philadelphia thing, there is even a Mummers Museum. It is taken very seriously! The parade is on tv (all day long - I am not exaggerating.) I am really not into them, but my mom is and I have been exposed to them all my life - doing my best not to have to watch them. There are the fancy brigades, the string bands and there could be others. Think of it like it's a marching band made up of men (usually), some women too and they dress in these elaborate costumes and put together routines to music and compete amongst each other. The string bands do routines too, but play their own music. They do declare winners, not sure of what the prizes, but definitely bragging rights! Usually the troops tend to drink, some more than others ;) and seem to have a great time.

The parade last all day long and it is sort of like a huge party!

Mummers are a Philadelphia thing, there is even a Mummers Museum. It is taken very seriously! The parade is on tv (all day long - I am not exaggerating.) I am really not into them, but my mom is and I have been exposed to them all my life - doing my best not to have to watch them. There are the fancy brigades, the string bands and there could be others. Think of it like it's a marching band made up of men (usually), some women too and they dress in these elaborate costumes and put together routines to music and compete amongst each other. The string bands do routines too, but play their own music. They do declare winners, not sure of what the prizes, but definitely bragging rights! Usually the troops tend to drink, some more than others ;) and seem to have a great time.

The parade last all day long and it is sort of like a huge party!

That actually sounds like fun!LOL:yup:

We have a big Christmas Parade in the town. Usually one of my kids is in it with the scouts troops but thisyear my 12 yo dd will be in it with her middle school marching band.

My daughter's band with be having a Christmas concert with the choir from school.

One of the local churches does The The Living Christmas Tree every year. That's really nice to attend.

Santa comes to the mall right before thanksgiving and they have a big deal with him, used to take the girls but they are too old now.

Our HS Marching band does 4 parades in November/December.

Our outdoor concert arena does a "festival of lights" that is really fun to do and it's so pretty.

Here's a kewl tip ... wear 3-D glasses if you go out looking at Christmas lights .. they are so kewl when viewed thru the glasses. More sparkly!

In the next town to me we have a large religious center that has

an amazing light and holiday display, including a live manger. It is

so beautiful there and it opens on Thanksgiving night and stays open

until January 1st. People come from all over in buses etc. It is a catholic

center but I think it stays mostly with just a Christian theme. There is

a cafeteria and gift shop and we always buy a mug of hot chocolate

as LaSalette seems to be the coldest place in New England:p

You cannot really appreciate it until dark (obviously for the light displays)

www.lasalette-shrine.org:

In Dallas, Texas they will be having the Christmas Childrens Parade on Dec 2 in Downtown Dallas. Also around the same time at the Neiman Marcus Flagship store and company headquarters in downtown Dallas they will have a big tree lighting and events.

Christmas Parade Info - http://www.childrensparade.com/

Dallas Area Holiday Events - http://www.dallascvb.com/media/annual_events.php?month=dec

http://www.downtowndallas.org/

Our Christmas parade is the first Thursday in December

Winter Wonderland (an indoor Christmas display with free Santa photos) starts the first week and continues till right before Christmas

Nutcracker is Dec 15-17 and there's usually a breakfast with some of the characters on Saturday at a downtown restaurant where your child can get autographs and pose for pictures

Christmas Classic movie night - held at the Forum (where alot of plays, concerts are held) for $5/ticket with free popcorn each Friday (and I think some Saturdays?) in December

Singing Christmas tree at a local church is performed the 2nd weekend in December

I know there's bound to be more, but that's the ones we usually try to make each year.

Well, actually... there are just no Christmas events here in Rio de Janeiro. They put up a huge Christmas tree in the middle of an important lake here, and it's beautiful to see. But there's no event for that, they just announce that they're gonna light it up, and some people go there to watch. Not many. Besides that... just shopping mall decoration, with Santa for the kids to talk to (and he wears the same suit that he wears up there, even in a 96 degrees heat!!!!:eyepoppin ).

• 4 weeks later...
In my area (northwest Ohio/northeast Indiana) the zoo has Festival of Lights that you can walk thru. There is fantasy of lights that you can either drive thru or take horse and carriage rides thru it. There is the lighting of a HUGE santa with sleigh and reindeer on the side of a building, I'll have to see if I can find a picture on-line of it. There is a gingerbread festival that is really neat. There is also festival of trees. In my hometown there is a christmas parade, santa comes to town and sets up a mail box for the kids to drop off their letters to him, the lighting of a large tree that has 'adopted a family' ornaments on it, the town hangs christmas banners and lights all the way thru the main strip, both schools put on concerts, and for about two week prior to christmas there is a group of people who get dressed up in really neat outfits and go caroling at night. I'm in the country so they don't come by my house but we do see them every once in awhile when we are uptown at night.

We used to have a Santa train that traveled part of the country.. it would stop in town for one night, all lit up, with skits and songs. We have a small parade in town, and a couple of larger ones in neighboring towns.

I guess we have a lot going on, what with Branson being so close. But it is so commercialized that we never go. Silver Dollar City has a christmas festival, and all of the theatres have christmas shows.

On BF every year, we have what we call Light Up Louisville...our downtown is very well lit during the holidays....they put lights on all the trees in downtown Louisville, all the businesses turn off their lit signs, there are several downtown parks that light all the trees and shrubery (sp?) and then there's a one huge christmas tree that is the center of the festivities, the have vendors set up with hot cider, hot chocolate, etc, they have a big stage set up and Santa comes out and walks through the crowd handing out candy canes to the kiddies, and then at like 9pm or so, everything lights up when the mayor hits a big switch. It's really neat...and is pretty much the start to the holidays around here...:)