Gift ideas for employees

ilikefree

I got a promotion this year and have 4 people (plus a few substitutes) who report to me. I want to do something special for them for Christmas but don't know where to start. Obviously I don't want to break the bank, yet I want to let them know how much I appreciate their hard work. I know about the Kohls throws, but I did those last year for my co-workers so I'm looking for something different. (But who's to say I won't buy a few for myself) 😜 Any ideas are welcome!

The last couple of years I just made a big tray of cookies for the dept and let people take what they wanted (because not only do I have four people that report to me, there's also four others on our team as well.) For my direct reports, I've bought target gift cards during their sale weekend and gave those out.

Ideas I've wanted to do:
1. Customized notebooks (I was going to buy basic ones off of Amazon and gold foil their names and our team name on there) 

One year I bought them adult coloring books and crayons (pandemic time, it was SO needed.) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Kanyon71 said:

Custom thermal cups. I know of a place that does them at a reasonable price. You could do a nice design and their names o them. 

That's something I'll have to check out, sounds like a great idea. Can you share the place that does this?

3 hours ago, freesia39 said:

The last couple of years I just made a big tray of cookies for the dept and let people take what they wanted (because not only do I have four people that report to me, there's also four others on our team as well.) For my direct reports, I've bought target gift cards during their sale weekend and gave those out.

Ideas I've wanted to do:
1. Customized notebooks (I was going to buy basic ones off of Amazon and gold foil their names and our team name on there) 

One year I bought them adult coloring books and crayons (pandemic time, it was SO needed.) 

I thought about customized notebooks or journals but didn't know if they'd like them. I might have to do some searching to see what I can find. Adult coloring books sounds like a good idea too.

I have 3 (did have 4) direct reports. I usually buy a set of light up ornaments or something from QVC, and split them between them along with some goodies. For example: last year I bought a set of decorative lanterns, that split up cost $5 each (and they came with individual gift boxes) and then (also from QVC) I bought a set of Lock N Lock bowls in bags. I make cookies and candies every year, so I put some of those in the bowls. Made for a perfect employee gift, and cost about $11 each (not counting the ingredients for the goodies, but I was going to be making that much anyway).

k83119.001?$aempdzoom$ h429532.002?$aempdzoom$

• Like 2

I would actually love to be gifted a personalized notebook.  I'm old school still and love to have paper in hand, whether shopping lists or just business needs for life things.  

I agree with @Bopeep about QVC items.  They make great gifts to split up, especially those Lock & Lock containers she noted.  I have to stay away from that channel when Lock & Lock is airing because I want it all.  LOL

• Like 2

I don't know the vibe of your group, but my husband got me a notebook from WTF Notebooks last year - they have tons of sayings and and you can choose the type of paper. But some are a bit snarky and maybe not totally inappropriate so maybe not the vibe. But letting them choose what they want might be neat.

I have done ornaments before, different ones depending on the person's tastes or likes.

Food and gift cards are always appreciated. Also make sure to include a nice note with gift.

• Like 1

I like the ornaments idea, I had a coworker who did that for the team one year with a general theme but also each one personalized and different for each of us and we all saved them and displayed them for years. If the budget allows maybe do a smaller weekly thing that maybe incorporates all the gifts so the excitement builds. Something like: Stationary/coloring book, cute pens, mug and sachets of hot cocoa or tea.  

How much freedom/control do you have? Maybe something like an extra work from home day or a leave/arrive a few hours late would be beneficial for things like holiday shopping/events etc?

• Love 1