Official Store Bankruptcy & Closures Discussion Thread

Brad

Yeah this seems to be the mall owners doing what they can to stop yet another big anchor store from leaving many of their malls.

The only question is whether they are content to allow JCPenney to continue losing money as long as they stay open and bring people (and tenants) to their malls, or if, now that they own it, they'll make more significant changes to try and turn things around for JCP.

• Like 1

Yeah this seems to be the mall owners doing what they can to stop yet another big anchor store from leaving many of their malls.

The only question is whether they are content to allow JCPenney to continue losing money as long as they stay open and bring people (and tenants) to their malls, or if, now that they own it, they'll make more significant changes to try and turn things around for JCP.

This is my thoughts exactly. Had they lost Penneys then that would be it for most malls. So many stores have closed - Gymboree, Justice, New York and Comp, etc all mall staples. 

• Like 1

This is my thoughts exactly. Had they lost Penneys then that would be it for most malls. So many stores have closed - Gymboree, Justice, New York and Comp, etc all mall staples. 

Don't forget Sears and the Bon-Ton family of stores which also were big anchors at many malls (at least around here).

Some of the malls around me that lost some of it's anchor stores replaced them with Targets, Dick sporting goods, bowling alleys which has increased the foot traffic at those malls. 

• Like 1

Some of the malls around me that lost some of it's anchor stores replaced them with Targets, Dick sporting goods, bowling alleys which has increased the foot traffic at those malls. 

A bowling alley at the mall ? That is a good idea. Large open area for arcade games and such .... Let me check if I just came up with a new business model for my area.

• Like 2

A bowling alley at the mall ? That is a good idea. Large open area for arcade games and such .... Let me check if I just came up with a new business model for my area.

The future of malls -- community centers.  I have seen two shopping centers built at new housing projects near major highways.  Both are bus stops as well.  Work all day, take the bus home, work out at the gym, and grab milk and eggs on your way to your condo.  They have wifi on the buses, but now they need to figure out how to socially distance people on their commute.

• Like 1

The future of malls -- community centers.  I have seen two shopping centers built at new housing projects near major highways.  Both are bus stops as well.  Work all day, take the bus home, work out at the gym, and grab milk and eggs on your way to your condo.  They have wifi on the buses, but now they need to figure out how to socially distance people on their commute.

Wow, that is good. I need to come from under my rock a little more 

I should buy a mall and turn it into condos and fun center combined add in some stores and restaurants. Never have to leave the grounds if I turn some stores into businesses. [emoji23]

I would partner with you but I think this will be too expensive. Lets go on Shark Tank and get them to pay for it. I will give Mr.Wonderful 50% and still make a killing

• Like 1

That's what dense urban housing should look like - shopping and necessities on the bottom level, housing on top, near transit. But neighbors love fighting these proposals. Believe me. Happens here nonstop.

Not sure if I could take living in a place where the lights never goes out. I know so many are accustom to it in the bigger cities but enjoy the peace, quite and stillness of the night. On the other hand if I can get out of bed and get milk,juice and a steak still in my PJ's, then back in bed in 5 minutes I would weigh some options. 

• Like 2

Not sure if I could take living in a place where the lights never goes out. I know so many are accustom to it in the bigger cities but enjoy the peace, quite and stillness of the night. On the other hand if I can get out of bed and get milk,juice and a steak still in my PJ's, then back in bed in 5 minutes I would weigh some options. 

I think it depends on the amenities.  If you golf and there are nine holes out back, maybe that does it for you.  Tennis courts.  A recreation center with activities.  Restaurant and/or lounge.  They were talking about building one in my sleepy town which had assisted living, a pharmacy, a clinic, and shopping.  A large Chinese restaurant near where I work put in a drive in screen, socially distanced picnic tables, and started serving people in the parking lot.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the amenities.  If you golf and there are nine holes out back, maybe that does it for you.  Tennis courts.  A recreation center with activities.  Restaurant and/or lounge.  They were talking about building one in my sleepy town which had assisted living, a pharmacy, a clinic, and shopping.  A large Chinese restaurant near where I work put in a drive in screen, socially distanced picnic tables, and started serving people in the parking lot.

Yea, if it meets a need then you are in, Resturants are really getting creative. The party rental companies in my area were completely rented out of there tents for that very reason,