Record players

starbeck96

Two years ago I got my son one of the suitcase type ones that are in all the ads. He started researching and reading, and was afraid it would ruin his vinyls. So last year he picked out a different turntable, after looking at many. He got a Fluance, and Amazon put it on sale Thanksgiving day. He really likes it and says it sounds better
  • Like 2

Two years ago I got my son one of the suitcase type ones that are in all the ads. He started researching and reading, and was afraid it would ruin his vinyls. So last year he picked out a different turntable, after looking at many. He got a Fluance, and Amazon put it on sale Thanksgiving day. He really likes it and says it sounds better

Thank you.  I was looking at the suitcase type one.  Many people were complaining about the sound, especially if you used it for Bluetooth.  My daughter is 12 and doesn't own any records or anything, but loves music and is wantign to find some older records.  I definitely wouldn't want the record player to mess them up.

I'm not sure really how true it is it messes anything up, that's just what he read in forums, probably written by people with better ears and more picky than me! I think for a 12yo it wouldn't be bad. And I'm sure whatever damage would be miniscule over a really long time. Maybe those needles can be changed out... That would make a difference I'm sure.

Hopefully someone else with a little more experience and knowledge will jump in soon.

• Like 1

I'm not sure really how true it is it messes anything up, that's just what he read in forums, probably written by people with better ears and more picky than me! I think for a 12yo it wouldn't be bad. And I'm sure whatever damage would be miniscule over a really long time. Maybe those needles can be changed out... That would make a difference I'm sure.

Hopefully someone else with a little more experience and knowledge will jump in soon.

I read that the needles can be changed out on it and that it actually includes one extra needle.  I don't really want to spend more than 50.00 on one for her.  She loves music and spends a lot of time listening to music.  We homeschool as well, and it would be nice to be able to put a record of classical music on for her to listen to while she does her work.  She also likes listening to the oldies..lol.  Her paw paw has made sure of that. :)

My daughter has mentioned wanting a record player.  Does anyone own one of the newer modeled ones?  I have read mixed reviews on it.

I bought one of those Crosley ones (the ones that look like an old radio) years ago, but there's one on sale at Target for $43 that seems to get decent reviews https://www.target.com/p/portable-victrola-suitcase-record-player-with-bluetooth-and-3-speed-turntable-red/-/A-51168454

I bought one of those Crosley ones (the ones that look like an old radio) years ago, but there's one on sale at Target for $43 that seems to get decent reviews https://www.target.com/p/portable-victrola-suitcase-record-player-with-bluetooth-and-3-speed-turntable-red/-/A-51168454

Thank you.  that is the same brand I've been looking at.  They have it on sale at Kohl's BF for around the same price I think.  I can't get anything today, but if it is still available at that price Wednesday of next week I will go ahead and order it from Target.  I think this brand will be fine for my daughter. :)

Thank you.  that is the same brand I've been looking at.  They have it on sale at Kohl's BF for around the same price I think.  I can't get anything today, but if it is still available at that price Wednesday of next week I will go ahead and order it from Target.  I think this brand will be fine for my daughter. :)

I believe the price at Kohl's next week is $39.99.

You can get a small audio technica for under 100 that'll plug right into any receiver or powered speakers and be infinitely better than a crosse your without ruining records. Crosley has neat designs it are terrible performers. Model AT-LP60. Sometimes these will drop under 75 Edited by coolsax
  • Like 1

Amazon will very likely have it on sale. Check Thursday morning.

I did forget to mention in my first post, that if you buy just the turntable, that you will need speakers or a receiver like coolsax said. I got an amazing deal on some powered bookshelf speakers last year at best buy.

• Like 1

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on one.  She doesn't have any records or anything, she just thinks they are neat and mentioned wanting one.  I may wait until i can do a little more research and have a little more money to spend on a better one.  I've already bought her big gift and I am getting her a camera, so i just needed something around the 50.00 mark to finish her christmas. :)

Yea, I understand. We actually did the same thing with the first one we got. "See if they actually like it before spending a lot." He did, and got really interested in researching things. And then started wanting crazy rare albums from Australia and Sweden! Only two years later his collection is well into the hundreds of dollars, with a couple sets being worth $300-400 each. (but he's 19 and had a summer job.)

I think that small one will be okay to see how she likes it and if she uses it. Then go from there. :) Have fun!

• Like 1