Please Help

I would be honest with him and let him know that money is really tight right now - let him know that you want to get him something he really wants - and let him give you some less expensive suggestions. Kids understand more than we give them credit for sometimes - and knowing that money is tight might make him appriciate what he receives even more.

Thanks he is a really great kid and he does understand the money problem and that is why he wont tell me anything else after I had the talk with him

he said not to worry about him to get his sisters and other brother and not worry about him right now. I do like the gift card idea but afraid he would not use it for himself afraid he would use it for siblings

Since he wanted a guitar, what of music does he like? My daughter bought some old record albums in decent shape (on eBay and Goodwill) and then we bought album frames at A.C. Moore and Michael's (on sale, of course) and she has them hanging in her room. It really looks neat. Would he like Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana,... Old school stuff...

She has Queen, Peter Frampton, and some others; I can't remember right now. She would love to find a Beatles Abbey Road album. I'm looking, just not finding one for the price I want to pay.

What about a gift card to www.musiciansfriend.com?

$75 could get him a starter amp, and he could save for a guitar over the next year. It could also get him some good accessories (picks, strings, strap) or some lesson books or videos.

Re the gift card, "Chapperone" him when he spends it! LOL! Seriously, take him to lunch "just the two of you", and then take him to the store to use it.

Or if you reeeaaalllly want to get down-n-dirty about it, put him on a guilt trip about NOT telling you what else he would like instead! "You're making me feel soooo bad, dear! I love that you understand we simply cant afford the guitar and psp (whaaa's a psp? she asks blankly) but you're making ME feel SOOOO bad because you won't suggest anything ELSE you'd like! Won't you PLEASE tell me something you'd like that is still in our price range?"

Or what about getting the guitar from a Pawn Shop? No way could soninlaw afford several hundred dollars worth of new one, but he looked around and found one at a pawn shop here that was BETTER than the one he'd been wanting, and much less than he'd been prepared to pay! :) I like cheap! :D

Guest Nam6641
You can get guitars on Ebay for less then $50. Not sure if that is in your price range or not. I picked up a House of Blues Guitar for $40 as a spare or to let my friends beat on when they come over.

you can pick up acoustic guitars pretty cheap, and pretty much anywhere if he'd be interested in an acoustic.

otherwise, i'd say what another said and get a gift card/certificate for musicians friend or a local guitar store. you could always do $50 or so on the certificate and pick up one or two other things with the remaining money you have to spend on him.

my bf pitched in with his mom to get a new electric guitar for christmas, it was around $400.

What about a gift card to www.musiciansfriend.com?

$75 could get him a starter amp, and he could save for a guitar over the next year. It could also get him some good accessories (picks, strings, strap) or some lesson books or videos.

I purchased my DS 10 a guitar from there for Easter ( yes Easter) was going to save it for his B-day in September ... He loves it I got it for $39.95 total with shipping for it was about 45.00. He has been taking lessons and things are going great! It was a Rogue Austic.

I purchased my DS 10 a guitar from there for Easter ( yes Easter) was going to save it for his B-day in September ... He loves it I got it for $39.95 total with shipping for it was about 45.00. He has been taking lessons and things are going great! It was a Rogue Austic.

I remember that deal. I didn't know if that guitar was any good, but if he's getting good use out of it, that's all that matters. Just wait a few years, and he'll be looking in the $300 minimum range.