MP3 player

shannonr

I am searching for a good deal on an MP3 players. They will be for my 7 year olds for Christmas. I don't want to spend too much on them since I know they will probably end up broken or lost. They will both use them for music but one has dyslexia and will use hers a lot for recorded books. I would like to stay under $50 each for them (or less!) if possible. Thanks!

I am searching for a good deal on an MP3 players. They will be for my 7 year olds for Christmas. I don't want to spend too much on them since I know they will probably end up broken or lost. They will both use them for music but one has dyslexia and will use hers a lot for recorded books. I would like to stay under $50 each for them (or less!) if possible. Thanks!

Have you seen the disney ones? I saw them at Target, they were 49.99. Seems like it would be great for a kid!

Probably too much for a 7yr old but this seems like a good deal to me.

Sandisk Sansa 512mb MP3 player $99.99 with a free Napster starter pack and a Best Buy $50 gift card!

I can't post the link since I am a newbie but check the best buy website.

Geeks.com has the Creative NOMAD MuVo 128MB for $24.99

It's a good name brand but the capacity is on the smaller side, when newer MP3 players are 512MB and 1GB. Just something to consider.

wow, that's the exact one that was my very first mp3 player, & i paid $100 for it even on sale...of course that was almost 2 yrs ago but that just shows ya how quickly today's technology can become yesterday's news

Thanks for the replies. I think I will probably get the one at geeks.com. What is a WMA file? And it looks like it doubles as a flash drive as well, correct?

Many digital MP3 players can double as a flash drive. The reason is that when they are connected to the computer, many of them show up as a drive letter under My Computer. You can load them up with pictures, text files, etc. and use the digital MP3 player to move them over to another computer...

An MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) file is about one tenth the size of the original audio file but the sound is nearly CD-quality. Because of their small size and good fidelity MP3 files have become a popular way to store music files on both computers and portable devices (such as iPod).

Developed by Microsoft, Windows Media Audio (WMA) is a competing compressed audio format to MP3. Microsoft claims that WMA features better audio quality for the same file size as a comparable MP3 file. Files may be recorded on CD-R or CD-RW media for playback in compatible DVD players and computers. Files are usually named as "*.wma".

http://www.palgrave.com/strategy/mp3.htm

For some really dry reading material:

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000027.shtml