Best Buy ad 12/11-17

miami vice s2 $39.99

disney dvds 2/$20: the sword in the stone, princess diaries, the parent trap, herbie goes bananas

save $6 when you buy kronk's new groove & valiant together

herbie fully loaded $17.99

cheapest laptop in the ad is a gateway w/ intel celeron m processor, dvd/cd-rw drive, 256mb ram, 40gb hard drive, integrated 802.11g wireless lan $529.99 after instant savings (no rebates for once!)

there's a compaq w/ 17" flat screen monitor, 256mb ram, 80gb hard drive, dvd/cd-rw drive, & 9 in 1 media reader for $299.98 after rebates

ok since i know NOTHING about specs on a computer or anything, is this a good laptop for the price? I would like one for dh and he would be using it for online schooling and homework and for out of town business trips... anyone know? thanks!

so-so...for basic use, like work & school stuff (not hardcore gaming or multimedia) 512mb ram is ideal, & an 80gb hard drive, so i'd say no, but if you hate rebates this would be good

i HATE rebates!

so can you buy additional RAM and a larger hard drive or something for it? i know i might sound dumb in asking but i really have no idea and since i am trying to keep it a surprise, i really cant go ask my dh, lol. and did i mention that i hate rebates???? lol.

You could buy a stick of 256 mb ram from crucial.com for less than $50. If you wanted to spend a little more money and buy a stick of 512 mb, it would only cost between $60 and $70. This would allow you to have 768 mb total, which is more than enough to do most basic computer tasks. And the installation is a breeze (it literally clicks in).

Upgrading the hard drive is a bit trickier. But I don't think most folks absolutely need something larger than the 80 gb.