Gift Cards

mello

What deals are you finding on Gift Cards? I'm looking to earn something for buying them, or get them while buying other things I need. I want to give them to far away relatives (so easy to mail).

So far I've found:

The Walmart deals with Gift Cards back that have already been posted

MyPoints has a few good rewards - I got 500 points for buying a $50 GameStop gift card - going to use that to buy DS a game

- Also got 500 points for buying a $25 Gap gift card

I need to get a few lower denomination GC's though - can't afford to give every relative $25 & $50 GC's.

Would love to find $10, $15 or $20 GC's for Toys R Us, iTunes, Gamestop, etc for all the kids.

So, what have you found so far?

Edited by mello

I don't buy them. I refuse to give gift cards. I think it's impersonal and if that person can't think of something to buy me, I don't want anything. My oldest gives them all the time and I think it's a copout to going shopping. I can't help on them. My youngest who is 16 likes getting a few, but he likes the presents more. 

Mello, sorry I can't help much because I haven't seen any good deals. Just wanted to say you didn't deserve the reply you got. Gift cards are really common, especially for long distance gifts. I was raised to believe its the thought that counts.

I know marriott rewards gives points if you link through them for giftcertificates.com. Other rewards places might as well. But if they aren't having free shipping it's not really worth it. I used it one time just to keep my marriott account active.

I've also used sites like groupon and saveology for the lower amount ones. I've gotten Barnes and noble, iTunes, Starbucks, toys r us, subway, etc.

Lastly some places have where if you buy cards you get more, like red robin always does a buy $25 get $5. Other places do it as well with different amounts. You can always buy yourself the big ones and use the bonus ones as small gifts. Just be sure to check, some of the bonus money is limited to time frames

Thank you. I hadn't even thought about groupon, so that was a good suggestion. Angleyez, I appreciate your thoughtfulness : )

I know gift cards don't work for everyone, but most people I know seem to love them for the following reasons:

They already have too much "stuff" and would prefer the experience GC's can buy (going to dinner, downloading music, etc)

Postage is getting so high to send "stuff" through the mail

Far away relatives don't really know what they already have/need/want, so it alleviates duplicates, making returns, exchanges, etc.

They work nicely to complement larger gifts the person is already getting - for instance nephews getting iPods for Christmas would appreciate iTunes GCs, or nephews getting an XBox for Christmas might enjoy going to GameStop to pick out a new game to go with it...

Some people may want a high ticket item that nobody can afford to get them, but with combining GC's and their own money they can get it

It still requires thought and effort to figure out which experience a person might like, or where they might shop, and find out if the store in question is in their area, etc.

I actually LOVE receiving them! I ask my DH to get me GC's to restaurants, Starbucks, places we enjoy shopping together like Bath & Body Works, etc. so we'll  have an excuse to go on dates after Christmas when we're out of money, (and that's way more fun than having to go out after Christmas and fight the crowds to return things he used to get me that didn't work out so well - clothes that don't fit, etc. LOL)

We have a Grandma who lives far away now, and sends us either Baskin Robbins or Starbucks GC's for lots of occasions - it's a very thoughtful gift, because we used to enjoy going to those two places with her when she lived here. So now we go, and have a nice time, and think of her.

I guess it's all in your perspective.

Edited by mello
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think that CVS has a ECB deal right now that you might be interested in: Spend $100 on ANY GAP Brand Cards get $25 extrabucks® rewards. This would include GAP, babyGAP, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and "Optionscard" (which looks like you can use at any of the GAP brand stores). This is in the 11/24-26 ad.

And Walgreens has iTunes cards offer on Black Friday - buy two $25 iTunes/Apple cards, get a $15 Walgreens card free.  Hope that helps!

Albertsons is running a promo for every $100 in gift cards (selection at my store was mastercard, buffalo wild wings, itunes, applebees, lowes, kohls, toys r us, amc) get $20 off your next grocery purchase.  I did this over the weekend and knocked out a good portion of my g/c list.  The catch was the coupon issued was actually 2 coupons for $10 each to be redeemed, one per transaction/per person/per day.  Not sure how strict they will be with this policy.  Going to redeem mine today, so will be interesting.  I didn't see that explained in fine print prior to my purchase, so a little bent.  I may have to enlist the help of my boys to redeem in one trip.

All in all, still a good deal for us since I shop there frequently.