Holy COW! Stick 1GB of RAM into that Walmart laptop and...

EliteABombAZ

... you can play games like Doom 3 and FarCry on low settings! The shared video memory automatically jumps up to 128 Megs when you add a decent amount of RAM, and makes more recent 3D games able to run on this computer. Not bad for a $378 computer (Plus $50-150 for extra RAM).

... you can play games like Doom 3 and FarCry on low settings! The shared video memory automatically jumps up to 128 Megs when you add a decent amount of RAM, and makes more recent 3D games able to run on this computer. Not bad for a $378 computer (Plus $50-150 for extra RAM).

At what? 640x480 with low settings? :tongue1::spit:

Hey... that is awsome for a cheapy laptop. When I bought it... I didn't expect to get ANY gaming out of it. Then I read up about the ATI graphic chipset inside. It is a pretty decent performer.

xpress200? Yup, its not too shabby(I have it and have used it a bit on my MSI RS480 motherboarD). It may be able to do a few of the effects when Vista comes out as well.

Hey guys,

There have been reports that an entire stick of 1GB PC400 DDR will work on this lappy. Can anyone confirm that? Pehaps it can take a maximum of 2GB of memory? If anyone knows for sure......please post. I want to finally purchase some since this is one RAM hungry lappy.

Hey guys,

There have been reports that an entire stick of 1GB PC400 DDR will work on this lappy. Can anyone confirm that? Pehaps it can take a maximum of 2GB of memory? If anyone knows for sure......please post. I want to finally purchase some since this is one RAM hungry lappy.

Possibly, but why would you? You won't notice a difference going >1GB

This is what another guy on another forum had to say about the memory:

"Just want to let you all know... memtest verified the notebook running at 159mhz(318mhz DDR) on the stock ram stick, and 199mhz(398mhz DDR) on the new one... 4 times the capacity, and a verified 80mhz(25%) increase in speed... not bad for a little over $100, I am glad I splurged, that's for sure.. And to think my friends and even forums I asked said to just do PC2700 because the 3200 wouldn't work... but I remembered the little birdy telling me a long time ago(don't remember where I read it) that AMD CPU's have the memory controller onboard and the Semprons were capable of 400mhz.. I suppose it's verified and true. I hope this helps somebody."

He said he installed a 1GB stick of PC3200 DDR into the Walmart lappy and it ran fine and the memory controller did not step down the speed to 333 Mhz.

Maybe i should ask him if he thinks the Walmart lappy is dual channel capable.

Adding memory to these laptops is your friend. I recently added 1GB of PC4200 dual channel ram to my CC Toshiba, and now it’s nickname is flash. I already played City of Heroes on it (just for portable purposes, my gaming rig is my desktop), and now I’ve noticed a huge performance jump in the game and with all other applications. It also allows you to dedicate the full 128mb to video. $75 shipped from newegg for the 1GB. Good luck with the upgrades, all.

Yup.

Two sticks of 512 for dual channel if it offers it.

Only in this laptop, because the games you are limited to with a 1.5GHz processor can't make use of memory above 1gb.

But stick an extra GB in your higher end laptop or desktop and you will see a HUGE difference in video intense games (BF2 or Q4 for example.) Of course having the a8n-sli premium and dual gf6600gt's helps a little too :)

How do you make the BF lappy wireless? I want to be able to take it and use it elsewhere and be online, what do I need to do???? I have not even opened the computer because it is christmas present so I know nothing about it. I hope my son loves it. I bought the car adapter for $18 because I was not sure of the battery life. I am sure this is not difficult to do but need help. Thx

How do you make the BF lappy wireless? I want to be able to take it and use it elsewhere and be online, what do I need to do???? I have not even opened the computer because it is christmas present so I know nothing about it. I hope my son loves it. I bought the car adapter for $18 because I was not sure of the battery life. I am sure this is not difficult to do but need help. Thx

If it is a holiday present for your kid, then leave it unopened. However, if you took the time to glance over the features on the side of the box (assuming you are talking about the Walmart one), you will see that it already has a built-in wireless card inside.

Where did you get a car adapter for $18. If you got it online, please post the link.

Guest lolwtfbbq
i added a gig of memory to my bb laptop, and it flies now. i think i paid 72 shipped for the memory from newegg. major difference. i wonder if this laptop can be overclocked? maybe to like 1.6 or 1.7 at the most...

I got the adapter at Circuit City. It is the Kensington. It came with the tip to work for the wamart BF lappy. It was listed on here not too long ago. It is regular like 120 but was on sale for 18.Model # 33173.

So it has the card so all I need is to get DSL??? Lucky child,huh???

My computer is a mid 90's model and may go out anytime, and slow. You cant imagine. You can click on a page then go start laundry and come back and maybe it will be there. lol Of course I have dial up and that surely does not help.

i added a gig of memory to my bb laptop, and it flies now. i think i paid 72 shipped for the memory from newegg. major difference. i wonder if this laptop can be overclocked? maybe to like 1.6 or 1.7 at the most...

just a fyi - overclocking DOES void warranty.

One stick of 1GB or two sticks of 512MB? What brand?

2 sticks of DUAL CHANNEL is always better (as long as the laptop can use it)

The brand depends on who you talk to. The only brand I've ever had problems with is PNY, I regularly use Kingston or Crucial. They cost a little more but you get what you pay for.

2-512mb dual channel better than 1-1gb

2-1gb dual channel better than 1-2gb

etc. etc.

Guest lolwtfbbq

just a fyi - overclocking DOES void warranty.

2 sticks of DUAL CHANNEL is always better (as long as the laptop can use it)

The brand depends on who you talk to. The only brand I've ever had problems with is PNY, I regularly use Kingston or Crucial. They cost a little more but you get what you pay for.

2-512mb dual channel better than 1-1gb

2-1gb dual channel better than 1-2gb

etc. etc.

i dont care about the warranty, im not expecting best buy or toshiba to really do anything if it breaks. and i dont think 1.6 overclocked would do any harm.

I got the adapter at Circuit City. It is the Kensington. It came with the tip to work for the wamart BF lappy. It was listed on here not too long ago. It is regular like 120 but was on sale for 18.Model # 33173.

So it has the card so all I need is to get DSL??? Lucky child,huh???

My computer is a mid 90's model and may go out anytime, and slow. You cant imagine. You can click on a page then go start laundry and come back and maybe it will be there. lol Of course I have dial up and that surely does not help.

For $18 bucks that is great deal. I can't find that model on Circuit City anywhere, nor on the Kensington website.

Unfortunately, I bought 512MB of PNY memory. I had no idea that PNY was a bad brand. I bought it for $45 (after rebate) from Staples. I should have purchased Corsair or Crucial.

I had no idea that PNY was a bad brand.

I bought pny for my old computer, which is why I ended up building myself a new computer. As soon as I put the memory in and turned it on, it started to burn the motherboard. Now for my desktops I have kingston brand, and just bought corsair for my laptop and it is working wonderfully.