Just out of an abusive relationship, great, but he took everything! Please help

doreen725

OK, well I finally did it. I called the police on him and had him removed permanently. However he took the TV, house phone, printer, everything. I didn't care, I just wanted him out. (I can deal without the "stuff", what is killing me is that he took our dogs too - Merry Christmas). But I am strong and I will make it through this rough time.

So along with the joy of starting "over" I now need to replace all the "stuff" on a VERY limited budget, more like NO budget!

Just got back from Walmart and got the coffee maker. ($24.92) Done. I saw a phone set at Costco for like $40. Ok, I can get that tomorrow.

What I need your help with is finding a TV and a wireless printer that will also fax and is cheap on ink.

The TV is what I will really need help with. I would like to get some suggestions on where to get the most dirt cheap price on a LED TV, screen size about 40" or better. I really don't care what brand it is. Price is the most important thing to me - used, refurbished, I really don't care. I am not tech savy, just want something that is of half way decent quality and will work with the Direct TV HD box.....(he at least left that here).

I am pretty much alone in the world, my family all deceased so I really don't have anyone to turn to for advice.

Any and all info, suggestions etc. are greatly welcome and MUCH appreciated.

I am usually a great bargain hunter, but I think I need to reach out to the GD family on this one, I am just not 100% yet....still in shock I guess.

Thank you all in advance, may God bless you with a very happy holiday time!

id say sorry to hear that...but really i guess i should say congratulations ..you have your freedom,security and safety back!!!!

im shocked the police wasted their time!!!here the police will NOT stand by and watch that..the guy would only be allowed to take personal belongings.(and are encouraged to do so quickly as they will say they dont have time to stand by)and certainly not dogs,unless the animal is reg.solely to him...however in a abusive situation,or even if domestic violence is even considered, he certainly would not be able to take ANYTHING but the clothes on his back,as they would be bringing him to a cell!!!! we have very good laws in place for that ever since the truman case.

however whats done is done.

now you need to be strong and not take him back......you might have to live at a different lifestyle for a while.but it will be all worth it.if you cant find a tv the size you want,maybe try a pawn shop?you may have to settle for less and poss save some money for the upcoming future.as you know,you never know what to expect or what ,may happen.

maybe you can return the coffee pot and get the one at best buy for like 8 bucks instead?

Good for you .. I walked out of my former life on 12/23/99 and never looked back.

I'd say see if you have a Freecycle group where you live and post that you need everything to start your life over - everything is free. You will just need to drive to pick up whatever anyone is willing to give you.

Also check Goodwill and other charity type stores for household goods. ITA that a pawn shop might be a good place to look for a TV, but know your prices before you shop.

i just noticed you bought this tv just last month...or were looking for one."

has anyone seen or heard about the Toshiba 40-Inch LCD TV, for $179? on amazon???? Anyone still awake out there????

..if this tv he took was the one you were thinking of buying at amazon last month,you can log into your amazon account and have proof YOU are the owner as you just purchased it last month...it should work as a receipt

i wouldnt just show up at his door...id go with the police....or better yet have them go...as he stole your tv right out of your house while they watched!!

i just noticed you bought this tv just last month...or were looking for one."

has anyone seen or heard about the Toshiba 40-Inch LCD TV, for $179? on amazon???? Anyone still awake out there????

..if this tv he took was the one you were thinking of buying at amazon last month,you can log into your amazon account and have proof YOU are the owner as you just purchased it last month...it should work as a receipt

i wouldnt just show up at his door...id go with the police....or better yet have them go...as he stole your tv right out of your house while they watched!!

Yes, I was looking at the TV on Amazon, it was a great price, but finances have changed since then and I never did find the TV on sale on Amazon.

Thank you!

id say sorry to hear that...but really i guess i should say congratulations ..you have your freedom,security and safety back!!!!

im shocked the police wasted their time!!!here the police will NOT stand by and watch that..the guy would only be allowed to take personal belongings.(and are encouraged to do so quickly as they will say they dont have time to stand by)and certainly not dogs,unless the animal is reg.solely to him...however in a abusive situation,or even if domestic violence is even considered, he certainly would not be able to take ANYTHING but the clothes on his back,as they would be bringing him to a cell!!!! we have very good laws in place for that ever since the truman case.

however whats done is done.

now you need to be strong and not take him back......you might have to live at a different lifestyle for a while.but it will be all worth it.if you cant find a tv the size you want,maybe try a pawn shop?you may have to settle for less and poss save some money for the upcoming future.as you know,you never know what to expect or what ,may happen.

maybe you can return the coffee pot and get the one at best buy for like 8 bucks instead?

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I was surprised that the sheriff allowed him to take so much stuff, but they did. I have thought about looking at pawn shops, but someone told me that prices aren't very good there, but it may be worth a look, you never know. Thanks again for the encouragement, I need it right now.

Congrats on taking the first step to a new life. It'll be tough for a bit but hopefully more than worth it in the end.

It may be worth checking out BB (or other stores) for open box returns in the days after Christmas, for now best I could find is:

Seiki SE401GS 40" Class LED HDTV - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 120Hz, 3000:1, 10ms, 3x HDMI, VGA $299.99 after rebate at TigerDirect.

Congrats on taking the first step to a new life. It'll be tough for a bit but hopefully more than worth it in the end.

It may be worth checking out BB (or other stores) for open box returns in the days after Christmas, for now best I could find is:

Seiki SE401GS 40" Class LED HDTV - 1080p, 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 120Hz, 3000:1, 10ms, 3x HDMI, VGA $299.99 after rebate at TigerDirect.

I was thinking that may be an idea. Lots of people will be returning won't they? I can live without a TV for a while! But NOT coffee!! Enjoying my first cup out of my new Mr. Coffee right now. Thank you!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889522009&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL122712&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL122712-_-EMC-122712-Index-_-LCDTV-_-89522009-L023B

Seiki 40' Refurbished @ newegg.com with free shipping $279.99 sale until 1/2/13

Bestbuy 40's $279-$349 some refurbished some not but don't forget about bestbuy reward certificates also.

Edited by hack2222

I'd also keep your eyes on Craigslist for a television if you are on a limited budget. Because I know people upgrade tv's for the holidays to bigger badder ones, and maybe you can get one they consider smaller, for less than new. Just make sure they plug it in and show you it works, if they say it does.

And congrats on moving onward to a better life. :)

K-Mart has a Seiki 39" TV on sale for $299.99. I'm sure that some local K-Marts are closing out other TV's. Try Staples, Office Max or Office Depot for the printer. There are lots of them to choose from.

I wish you the best of luck....congrats on your "weight loss"!

Again, many thanks to all for your kind words. It has been a difficult time to say the least.... I have looked on craigslist, but it absolutely amazing how much people think their 2 and 3 year old tv's are worth!!! I have been working for the last few days, but once I have a day off I will cruise over to the stores and see if they have any open box deals. I did get a canon printer at walmart for $78, so I feel that was a good deal. I needed one that will fax because I have to have it for work. Happy new year to all, and please if you do see a tv deal, let me know!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889522009&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL122712&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL122712-_-EMC-122712-Index-_-LCDTV-_-89522009-L023B

Seiki 40' Refurbished @ newegg.com with free shipping $279.99 sale until 1/2/13

Bestbuy 40's $279-$349 some refurbished some not but don't forget about bestbuy reward certificates also.

Can you please tell me what reward certificates are?

First off congrats on your new life. I was once in your shoes and it is definitely worth it to move on. For a TV you may want to downgrade your Directv box to non HD as that will save you some per month. Goodwill always has TVs if you are not looking for something new. There are pet rescues out there that have dogs that would love to have a home. ( not the same I know but just a thought). Check the Pennysaver or Recycler ads for where you live if you have those. As it was said before, alot of people got TVs for the holidays and are looking to remove their old ones. If all else, fails, there are usually good TV deals before Superbowl.

First off congrats on your new life. I was once in your shoes and it is definitely worth it to move on. For a TV you may want to downgrade your Directv box to non HD as that will save you some per month. Goodwill always has TVs if you are not looking for something new. There are pet rescues out there that have dogs that would love to have a home. ( not the same I know but just a thought). Check the Pennysaver or Recycler ads for where you live if you have those. As it was said before, alot of people got TVs for the holidays and are looking to remove their old ones. If all else, fails, there are usually good TV deals before Superbowl.

Thank you all.....I am still looking. I was able to "suspend" my DirecTV service and I did down grade the received from an HD to a non HD today......coincidence you should mention that "momlori". Unfortunately I simply cannot afford another dog right now. He did let me take the dogs over night the other night though. His son brought them over and picked them up. I miss them so.....I just cried when they left. I just know God has something great planned for me though! Happy new year to all!

You might check some estate sales also- after going to a few we really figured out which companies in our area price the best, and our favorite company does everything half price the last sale day (usually a saturday)- or make a deal offers and they are more than fair. I think my favorite thing I have gotten from an estate sale was a queen size down comforter in a duvet cover which i later discovered was ralph lauren and super nice, and it cost $8! TVs probably go more the first day or second maybe, but you can find some great items (always lots of kitchen items too)

You might check some estate sales also- after going to a few we really figured out which companies in our area price the best, and our favorite company does everything half price the last sale day (usually a saturday)- or make a deal offers and they are more than fair. I think my favorite thing I have gotten from an estate sale was a queen size down comforter in a duvet cover which i later discovered was ralph lauren and super nice, and it cost $8! TVs probably go more the first day or second maybe, but you can find some great items (always lots of kitchen items too)

That sounds like a great idea. How would I go about finding estate sales in my area? Thank you for the info and ideas!

Unfortunately I simply cannot afford another dog right now. He did let me take the dogs over night the other night though. His son brought them over and picked them up. I miss them so.....I just cried when they left. !

this is concerning....as much as you might love the dogs...you need to let go. they are now his dogs..i have a dog i love too,but they can end up being pawns...and/or you may end up slowly letting him back.and then what???back to not only square 1...but even further...careful,stay strong.

i see the son brought them...but HE let you take them,giving him control .

im assuming he does love his dogs...and in that case at least one thing is good out of this...the dogs are safe,while as much as you miss them,you realize would not be able to afford them.

That sounds like a great idea. How would I go about finding estate sales in my area? Thank you for the info and ideas!

some may be advertised in the newspaper. but, there's also a section on craigslist for garage sales. it's listed under 'for sale.' estate sales will be listed in that section. i'd check there.

there's also this site but it looks like most of these sales are managed by professional companies. might be more expensive.

http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/CA/Los-Angeles-Orange-County.aspx

Do you have freecycle in your area? You can post things you want/need and also things you want to give away. Totally free....

Lots of good people out there just trying to help people out. I have seen people ask for appliances, computers, tv, etc and many requests are fulfilled. Good luck to you.

s

We started out going to garage sales and randomly saw some estate sale signs. In our area we have a paper the "Thrifty Nickel" that you can pick up for free at gas stations and places like that and they have listings. We have looked on craigslist also, have found some good ones that way. We have happened upon a couple just by chance by spotting signs they had out also. It does really depend on who is handling the estate sale a lot of the time- some companies are good, some not so good. And we have run into quite a few that werent really estate sales, more like a big yard sale. Oh, we have gone to a couple of bizarre ones that family members obviously were running themselves and they just told you to go through the house- items were in drawers still in bedrooms and everything! (I was kind of weirded out by that one and we left). You might try just doing a google search in your area for estate sales, name of your town and see what it finds- some of the companies in our area post pictures ahead of time so you can see if there is anything you would even be interested in. Good luck!

Just an update, I did get an older used tv tonight for free from someone who didn't need theirs anymore, I was so excited to get home to hook it up, but now I cannot get the directv to hook into the tv! Help? The Directv box is an HD box and the tv is not HD......anyone? Thanks in advance!