Projector Thread

T0mmy

Again, following the same disclaimers of my original post (namely, no first hand experience, just lots of research on this unit and projectors in general)...

-Most recommend no bigger than about 92" for the screen. In fact, InFocus makes one this size and it is sometimes bundled with the projector.

-Contrast ratios always end with :1. So 16:9 actually refers to the aspect ratio (as would 4:3). Essentially it describes the dimensions of the viewable area...16:9 is going to be more rectangular (like an HDTV) while 4:3 will be more square (like a regular TV). Usually this factor alone will tell you the projector's intended market, as 16:9 is always used for home theater, while 4:3 is typically intended for business use (although there are a few 4:3 home theater projectors).

-Many home theater projectors claim brightness levels of 1000 lumens (or more). Although perhaps true theoretically, most of the time calibration of the unit (in order to get an optimal picture quality) will cut the lumens in half or more. So a projector may claim 1000-1200 lumens, while, once setup properly, it will only project 400-500. The SP4805, on the other hand, stays pretty close to its advertised 750 because it comes out of the box calibrated very well.

Lastly, please bear in mind that home theater projectors are not just really big TVs that you can hang anywhere. There are specific ways they need to be set up, which is actually why I am unable to purchase the SP4805 as I would like (my room geometry just will not work within the projector's specifications). Additionally (and more importantly), they are generally intended to be viewed in a darkened room. Although there are definitely ways to counter ambient light and some ambient light may be tolerable, the overall brightness of your room does need to be taken into consideration.

I hope this helps.

I'll elaborate more on the geometry sometime tomorrow (I need to go to bed), but for now, I would recommend taking a look at the projection calculator at projectorcentral.com.

I have no knowledge of refurb vs. new in terms of quality, though I have read of many satisfied (and a few unsatisfied) refurb customers. However, I do know that InFocus guarantees some low number of hours on the bulbs of their refurbs (I forget the exact number at the moment). This means lamp life (vs. a new unit) should not be a problem but it certainly isn't a guarantee and bulbs do burn out early from time to time even on new units (and are expensive to replace, about $300).

Also, I should have included bulbs in my last post as another consideration for projectors. You cannot turn a projector on and off and on and off like you would a normal television. Using very rough time estimates, if you turn it on, it should stay on for at least a couple hours, then when it is turned off, stay off for several hours. Turning the unit on and off in short time spans will shorten your bulb life considerably.

I'll explain the geometry (using my own experiences) tomorrow.

:singer: Hello again projector fans!!

With a projection distance of approximately 15' my SP4805 shoots a 127":eyepoppin diagonal picture if I let it shine directly on the wall (approx 10' wide X 5'4" tall). My screen is only 120" diagonal so I have to adjust the zoom a little bit to get the perfect fit. I have a light controlled situation in a 17' X 19' room and I never feel as though the picture is not bright enough. As I said in my earlier posts; buy this projector and you will be happy:yup: 16:9 native, DVI and component inputs, 6 segment color wheel (= no rainbow effects for me:yelclap: ), quiet 2 speed fan, and auto-source detection, and I almost forgot, back lit remote control.