Wal-Mart dual pricing structure?!?!?! What's next?

DaleRider

Go figure the small town by us that has only K-Mart has the computers 398 and 378 for the laptop, the 997 Plasma, and the 98 TV/DVD 20" TV, the one 50 miles away with the BB, CC, etc in that town are the higher 488 and 488, no Plasma deal, and 128 for the TV/DVD 20" - very strange the small town is getting the better deals. Now where do I shop - lol. Small town at 5AM then head to the "city" 50 miles away by 630AM or so - lol :) Happy Black Friday everyone!

I live in WI and talked to our local store manager (who was pretty rude) and he said the WI prices are high because they cannot advertise prices below cost in WI (he mentioned NY as the only other state where WalMart faces this problem.) I know WalMart has run into problems in the past with the Wisconsin Attorney General and is probably trying to avoid another run-in. However, with both Best Buy and American offering laptops for less than $400, I believe they will be left holding quite a few of the $632 HP laptops.

So, as most know now, WalMart has their BF ad up on their website....put yur zip in and you can preview.

Seems the laptop, desktop, LCD TV, among other things, have two prices....$488 and $378 for the laptops, $488 and $398 for the desktops, and $194 and $178 for the 15" LCD TV, and $129 and $98 for the 20" TV/DVD combo.

Guess it all depends upon where your local WalMart is located. Live in a small town with no BB, CC, etc. competition? You're paying the higher prices. Live near a WalMart that has some competition? Then the price is lower.

Sucks!!!

I used 30458 and 30904 as comparison zip codes.....the 30458 is Statesboro, GA with the higher prices; the 30904 zip is Augusta, GA with much lower prices.

I've run several of the zip codes listed on this thread, including my own as well and several other random ones. Every single one has had the $378 laptop...

Tested zip codes include 13210 (Central NY), 12901 (Northeast cor. of NY), 75052 (D/FW), 30458 (GA) and a few others (just typing random 5 digit numbers in). Every single one had that laptop for $378 on the front cover of the middle ad (more ELECTRONICS, 5-11am).

EDIT: ran the WI store listed and indeed it's missing that addendum section. Odd that the change didn't show up in my random hits...

I was surprised, though, since I believe the print ad I got today for my area had it for $398, but the online ad says the $378.

Just saw a Wal-Mart ad on TV during MNF on the New York ABC channel - and they are advertising $378 Laptops and $68 for that portable DVD player. At the bottom of the last part of the ad it shows....Prices not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Canada, or Puerto Rico.....poor Wisconsin I guess.....but it appears they will honor that price everywhere else (last minute change due to BB??).....

Just saw a Wal-Mart ad on TV during MNF on the New York ABC channel - and they are advertising $378 Laptops and $68 for that portable DVD player. At the bottom of the last part of the ad it shows....Prices not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Canada, or Puerto Rico.....poor Wisconsin I guess.....but it appears they will honor that price everywhere else (last minute change due to BB??).....

Hey I think Wisconsin is really getting --> :fruitsex: by WM.

Hey I think Wisconsin is really getting --> :fruitsex: by WM.

Its not walmart's fault... Its a law in Wisconsin that retailers can not sell something for less than what they paid for it. The whole deal with Black Friday is to have some super low priced "loss leaders" that lead people into the store, generally the store takes a loss on those products, but make up that loss on the other things that they do not have marked below 'invoice' (its late, I have a toothache, and thats the only word I can think of.)