Struggle with this question every year!

dakotadenise

When the kids ask for something that is out of our budget range, they just say "Why can't we ask Santa for it?"

Whats a good answer for that???

I only have the younger 2 that still believe, but I have already gotten that question! I know I could say they could ask him for anything, but I guess I like them to actually get what they ask Santa for, ya know?

I used to tell my kids that with all the expensive technologie and all the kids in the world now Santa relies on parents to pay in a portion of the money for stuff the elves don't build. I called it the parent share or Santa tax and explained that sometimes parents don't have enough to be able to help Santa out for everything. My kids bought it until they were at an age where it occurred to them that I was Santa....

I used to tell my kids that with all the expensive technologie and all the kids in the world now Santa relies on parents to pay in a portion of the money for stuff the elves don't build. I called it the parent share or Santa tax and explained that sometimes parents don't have enough to be able to help Santa out for everything. My kids bought it until they were at an age where it occurred to them that I was Santa....

my aunt started something similar to this with her kids. she calls it the "santa bill" and the kids seem to understand it pretty well.

There is no such thing. If my kids ask for it, they get it. One year when my daughter was six she wanted a pony. I was flabbergasted. At that time, Horses were expensive. We paid 700 for a pony. Now people are giving them away. IT was the only thing on her list, she told her teacher. So she got it. I just can't bear to not give them teh things they ask for.

There is no such thing. If my kids ask for it, they get it. One year when my daughter was six she wanted a pony. I was flabbergasted. At that time, Horses were expensive. We paid 700 for a pony. Now people are giving them away. IT was the only thing on her list, she told her teacher. So she got it. I just can't bear to not give them teh things they ask for.

You are so lucky to be in that position! We are not but my boys have never asked for more than we can provide... luckily..... I think the Xbox 360 or the kindle fire was the most expensive item that any of them ever asked for. And I do believe it was because of Black Friday that I was able to get a great deal on the Xbox :).

We tell them if it is something Santa can't make then parents have to give money to Santa to help pay for the expensive item. It is just not in my budget to buy something that expensive for all of them. It also helps explain how some people get more and some people get less.

I tell them that parents give Santa the money to make the gifts. I had to do this a few years ago because we do toys for tots and angel tree and when my dd was 5 she asked why we bought gifts for kids when Santa brings gifts to everyone...I have found it to work great with all three of my kids...

I do two different things with my kids to deal with this issue. First, I tell my kids to ask Santa for 3 things. In our house Santa brings 1 special gift and fills the stockings, so by having them ask for three, chances are they will hit a price point I can work with. Second, I do what others have already mentioned and tell the kids that parents have to chip in with the cost. There are a lot of kids in the world, and Santa needs a little help. None of my kids have ever questioned or complained, and everyone is always happy on Christmas morning :)

I've gotten questions about "Santa inequality" this year. Why do some families get big gifts, and others get small? That could be explained by parent donations, but what about the kids that get nothing? Has Santa gotten so used to parent donations that he refuses to give any gift without a finacial contribution?

I was explaining Toy for Tots to DD9. She said that Santa will still bring gifts, so even if the parents can't afford presents the kids will still get something. I said true enough, but Santa doesn't want the parents to feel bad by giving really big stuff the parents could never afford, so he gives small gifts in these families - Toys for Tots help to make it a better Christmas for these kids. We don't personally know any families that can't afford to give their kids anything (and if we did, those kids would be getting something), so my explaination worked for her.

Here, Mommy has the power of veto for everything they ask from Santa for- they can put five things on their list for Santa, and he will bring those five things if Mommy approves of them, if she doesn't, they don't get it, so they better put something on there mommy will approve (they ask me before it goes on the list if I approve), that way when it is super expensive or Santa can't find it, mommy uses her power of veto. My children have never put anything crazy $$ on their list though- this is the first year I told my oldest (9) that she could ask for an iPod if she wanted one....and that is because my dh earned one through some points thing at work, so we already were planning on giving it to her. Other than that, the most expensive thing on any of their lists is a $30 Lego Friends thing...that I am really, really hoping to find on sale somewhere.

My 9yo is still a strong believer, my 7yo is waning :( She came home from school just today saying that some people don't believe in Santa, and I told her that was okay, because people had different beliefs and we loved Santa and knew that he did.

It's difficult. We don't make a lot of money. Im a stay at home mom and my husband works construction. We aren't rich. I have a christmas club. I just try to buy all year long and put money in that christmas club every week. I'm crocheting baby hats right now to pay for sons class ring, but I won't let my kids be disappointed. I now have 4 grandkids and feel the same way with them. I bought them tablets got them a month ago.

You are so lucky to be in that position! We are not but my boys have never asked for more than we can provide... luckily..... I think the Xbox 360 or the kindle fire was the most expensive item that any of them ever asked for. And I do believe it was because of Black Friday that I was able to get a great deal on the Xbox :).

I tell them they can ask for anything they want, but I encourage them not to expect to get everything. I think it's good to learn early that you can't have everything you want.

Yep! Wish big, but know that Santa brings whatever he thinks is right for you - and that might be totally different that what's on your list. Also, Santa won't bring toys that Mom and Dad don't approve of.

In our house their main gift comes from mom and dad. Santa fills their stocking and brings 4 - 5 smaller gifts each. We tell our kids that they can ask Santa for whatever they want HOWEVER just becuase they asked for does not mean they will get it. We have explained that Santa has so many kids to deliver gifts too they he can not grant every request. He also has to take into consideration how good they have been, how much stuff they already have and he knows which items requested are really wanted and which ones were requested because so and so has one (he doesn't grant those request nor does he grant live animal requests)

See in our house the "big" gift is from Santa and the rest is from Mom and Dad. In my friends house they do the opposite and her kids are already asking why she says they won't have as much this year cuz they don't have as much money when Santa is the one giving the presents. I'm so glad I do it the way I do. :)