Walmart Workers Threaten Black Friday Action

racerfan

eeehh....I'm iffy about signing it, there are some valid points but then others are kinda pretty common in the workplace now a days.

It would be nice to have a more dependendable schedule and I would think if enough people want it, it should be easy enough to accomodate but I don't know the logistics. Full time hours and benefits is another stickler but not many places are hiring full time and MOST use that as a way NOT to offer you benefits. This is not specific to Walmart and while I don't agree with it, it's what you agreed to when you took the job.

Retaliation for joining unions, lack of privacy/respect for Open Door policy/reports are unacceptable and should be corrected ASAP.

It's kind of sad given such great quotes from Walton that the company seems to care so little for its employees but this seems to have been a long time in the process but again I find its pretty common. It's all a matter of how much faith you put into people or how realistic (some might say skeptical you are).

I'm currently in my 8th month of what should have been a 3 month temporary assignment. They have been talking since day 1 about all the opportunities for permanent placement, yet they have 2 employees who have been temporary for over 2 years and are basically in the same boat and care very little to give them any job security. It's a nice way to give people hope and get them to perform well without providing anything concrete.

Wal mart is not a great place to work for. They are nosy and they do punish via hours. They intentionally keep people just under full time so they arent full time, and if you make the right person mad you will lose your hours. And they are reading this right now so if you work there I wouldnt post. I worked there years ago. Posted here and they pulled me into the office and, as non threatening as possible, threatened me. Tried to bring my child and husband into the conversation, to scare me into thinking they knew I had a kid because I posted here and where I lived, and how would I feel if something happened to them. (and yes, I am 100% serious. He even told me I could "open door" him for what he said to me.. cause we all know that would have done anything :/) This all from the store manager that was an A$$.

That said, I've never been fond of unions either. I call them lazy man protectors. My dad was in a union and hubby is in one now, because it came with the job. Before this job he spent 11 years working in a non union job so at least he doesnt abuse it. But too many people do.

In the end wal mart isnt going anywhere. And they know it. So they will continue to do what they do and I'll get a check every so often in the mail from the latest law suit that I didnt ask to be a part of but somehow got included in.

Most retail jobs are not full time with benefits. Walmart is not the only employer to have bad managers that threaten employees. Yes, those managers should be gone, but sometimes it takes time to do that. Will a union solve the problem? Probably not, but they are looked at as saviors by a lot of people.

Most retail jobs are not full time with benefits. Walmart is not the only employer to have bad managers that threaten employees. Yes, those managers should be gone, but sometimes it takes time to do that. Will a union solve the problem? Probably not, but they are looked at as saviors by a lot of people.

100% Agree.

Unions are a wonderful thing. My dad was a union carpenter. He retired with a full pension,. We had full medical growing up, eyecare, dental, etc. with no worried. Pay was good, he retired making around 25.00 an hour. He got my husband in the union when we got married 28years ago. We have annuities on top of the retirement benefits in the tens of thousands that will pay out when my husband retires in 4 years at age 56. Pay is now at 31.00 an hour. My husband works all year, the union is a wonderful thing.

Unions are a wonderful thing. My dad was a union carpenter. He retired with a full pension,. We had full medical growing up, eyecare, dental, etc. with no worried. Pay was good, he retired making around 25.00 an hour. He got my husband in the union when we got married 28years ago. We have annuities on top of the retirement benefits in the tens of thousands that will pay out when my husband retires in 4 years at age 56. Pay is now at 31.00 an hour. My husband works all year, the union is a wonderful thing.

Yeah. Unions are wonderful. Ask anyone at GM or Chrysler. LOL.

I had to laugh at the article saying that they may try to disrupt things flash mobs, isn't that what we see every black Friday?

Yeah, how would anyone know if people were trying to disrupt BF shopping? What would they do to be disruptive - sit in the parking lot? :)

Retirement at 56 is unrealistic for most Americans. So while a union has been good for you, most workers do not have those types of benefits. Makes me wonder how much we could save without the extra benefits that most do not get in real life.

Yeah. Unions are wonderful. Ask anyone at GM or Chrysler. LOL.

My husband a retiree of GM...after 32 YOS. We do still have his pension, thank goodness. No further discussion from me except to say I will be glad to be able to get medicare in 9 months. Hopefully, some health issues can be taken care of then.

• 3 weeks later...

How does the discussion go from wal mart workers going on strike to Obama? I love how people find a way to blame him for everything. If bananas suddenly had bones in them people would blame him for that too.

The same way some people still blame Bush for everything, and some still blame Clinton, or the other Bush, heck people blamed Reagan for decades. People tend to blame the guy they don't like, and defend the guy they do like.

I really do not understand why a carpenter makes 31 an hour. not to be rude but isn't that a bit high?

in the same breath, I do not know why union auto workers make such a high pay for a job not requiring an college degree?

How does the discussion go from wal mart workers going on strike to Obama? I love how people find a way to blame him for everything. If bananas suddenly had bones in them people would blame him for that too.

i guess people are entitled to their opinion, you know what people say about opinions. :cheesy:

Edited by seaver41