eMachine Question

Guest general41391

I know emachine used to have a bad rap for breaking several years ago, are they now as reliable as an HP, Compaq, Gateway, or Sony just to name a few? Why do they always seem like their price is so much cheaper than the other makes on comparable models with the same amount of guts inside?

Guest unicron

I know emachine used to have a bad rap for breaking several years ago, are they now as reliable as an HP, Compaq, Gateway, or Sony just to name a few? Why do they always seem like their price is so much cheaper than the other makes on comparable models with the same amount of guts inside?

eMachines is a part of Gateway. Gateway bought the company a few years ago. I know a couple people who have eMachines, and I've been told they've had no problems.

The CPU and amount of memory, etc may be the same, but the other parts (motherboard, hard drives, video cards, sound cards, fans, etc) are of lesser quality, but not necessarily bad... I would definately recommend one for light computer usage... ie surfing the web/email, word processing.

Gateway acquired Emachines in Jan 2004 according to press releases. Exact date is: January 30, 2004.

Poway and Irvine, Calif., January 30, 2004 - Gateway, Inc. today announced that it agreed to acquire privately-held eMachines, Inc., one of the fastest-growing and most efficient PC companies in the U.S., for 50 million shares of Gateway common stock and $30 million in cash.

here is the specs

Intel® Celeron® D Processor 340

(256KB L2 cache, 2.93GHz, 533MHz FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition SP2

Intel® 865GV chipset

256MB DDR (1x256MB) 400MHz (PC3200)

Expandable to 2GB

80GB (7200 RPM, 2MB cache 1

48x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive

8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Micro Drive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)

Intel® Extreme Graphics 2

Up to 64MB shared video memory

AC '97 Audio

Intel® PRO 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet

56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem

Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers

5 USB 2.0 (1 in Media Reader, 4 in back), 1 VGA external connector, 1 serial, 1 parallel, 2 PS/2, 5 audio (2 in front, 3 in back)

14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16.00"D

22.5 lbs (PC only)

hope this helps:7beer:

Guest unicron

Yup.

THE CRT is the BIG ones not the thin monitors. FYI.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think the original poster wanted to know if the monitor is flat screen CRT, or non-flat screen CRT. I believe the OP knows that it isn't a LCD flat panel monitor. I could be wrong.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I think the original poster wanted to know if the monitor is flat screen CRT, or non-flat screen CRT. I believe she knows that it isn't a LCD flat panel monitor.

Then I believe you answered that a few posts ago when you said it was a CTR flat panel monitor.

Guest unicron

Then I believe you answered that a few posts ago when you said it was a CTR flat panel monitor.

Huh? There are no "CTR flat panel monitors". I'm confused.

Guest general41391
Wow...a lot of posts! Thanks guys for all your help. I don't care how big it is, as long as the SCREEN is flat!! It is also 2 inches bigger than my current screen (i have a 15")

Guest unicron

Wow...a lot of posts! Thanks guys for all your help. I don't care how big it is, as long as the SCREEN is flat!! It is also 2 inches bigger than my current screen (i have a 15")

15-inch? It's nearly 2006, you should have a 19-inch screen by now. lol:)

Guest general41391

Okay as long as you know its still one of those big clunky ones not the thin ones thats cool.

yup...i know that. it doesnt really bother me. (it would be one less thing to dust:D )

15-inch? It's nearly 2006, you should have a 19-inch screen by now. lol

LOL...I know, but I don't really see the need for a 19 inch! I think 17 is perfect.

*another question*

will i be able to play gta on my compiuter?

Barely because it's a slow CPU, the motherboard, the RAM and most importantly the video card.

Please remember this is a CHEAP ENTRY level desktop PC, not a Dell Dimension XPS or AlienWare PC. Not a bad deal for $149 but I hope you are not expecting to play most modern games without doing some significant upgrades. By the time you upgrade, you just paid the price for a new and better Dell Dimension 4xxx/5xxx PC.