Why does target have the worst return policy

Purchased a ds lite for my ds for Xmas. He literally just opened it and the damn thing does not work. I called target and because I am 7 days outside my return allowance they refuse to make an exception. They just stick behind their return policy and don't give a damn about customer satisfaction. I don't want my money back or even a different one. I want the same item

Purchased a ds lite for my ds for Xmas. He literally just opened it and the damn thing does not work. I called target and because I am 7 days outside my return allowance they refuse to make an exception. They just stick behind their return policy and don't give a damn about customer satisfaction. I don't want my money back or even a different one. I want the same item

Would they allow a return without receipt for a replacement one (tell them it was a gift). Just a thought, no one shoot me, but Walmart's return policy is fairly liberal, you could take it back, tell them it was a gift and just opened it and doesn't work, they would do a return without receipt (giftcard) or probably a replacement. Also Nintendo is very good about their products, you can call them, manufactorer's warranty

Thanks. Nintendo says it'll take 4-6 weeks to fix. My ds wants it now. Unfortunately I've used All my returns up at Walmart. Target is just terrible. They only allow up to $70 per yr this was $99 they refuse to budge they have the worst service

Could an adult family member do it?

I wouldn't have called Target I would have just went in there and tried to do it, seem to have better luck. Say your son got it for Christmas and have someone else exchange it if they won't let you, or try another Target. But don't call them first, just show up. And I thought that around Christmas time stores extended their return / exchange policies a little longer? And start saving all your Walmart & Target receipts in an envelope.

Some stores, not sure if Target is included, extend their normal 30 day return policy or "relax" their no receipt rules after Christmas. Seems to me a DS lite is something they normally carry and should get back in stock soon. I'd go in and never mention that I called and just say that your son got it for Christmas and it doesn't work and ask if they can exchange it, if they won't then go to another Target & try.

Isn't Target one of the stores that can look up your receipts for you if you paid with any credit card or a check?

I'm so irked they discontinued the ds lite so none are coming back in stock she said shed let me get the next model up but that's $50 more I don't want that what do I do now

Have you checked any other Targets in your area to see if they have the DS Lite in stock? 2 stores have the Cobalt blue in limited stock within 30 miles of me, so they are still out there. Just have to find em..... Maybe your store could get it shipped from another store.

You either have to send it to Nintendo and wait, or pay Target the $50 and have a working electronic or have a broken $100 toy that doesn't work in your house. If Nintendo told you 4-6 weeks that is the worse case scenario, there is a chance that it won't take that long.

If they scan the serial number then she wouldn't be able to return it at Walmart or ToysRUs, I don't think they do. You could try to buy another one and return the broken one, tell them that it's broken though and just ask for your money back instead of an exchange.

I don't know how that works with returns, is it per person or per household? Can your husband / significant other return it for you? Or if you use them up at one Walmart, is it per store or for all Walmarts, can you just go to another Walmart?

You've used up your returns at Target, Toys R Us, AND Walmart?

Edited by Rockfordmom

The best bet at this point is definitely to go through Nintendo. Any other store can easily see that they never sold it based on the serial #. Might I add, that in the future all electronics need to be opened & tested as soon as they are purchased. I am the queen of opening & repackaging just because of scenarios like this....

Might I add, that in the future all electronics need to be opened & tested as soon as they are purchased. I am the queen of opening & repackaging just because of scenarios like this....

And saving all receipts! I also save all expensive items boxes, before Christmas I go through and throw out the ones from last year. A store is more likely to exchange an item and not question it if you have the original box. And it doesn't take up as much room as you think, you put all the smaller item boxes in the bigger item boxes.

Some places must be more strict on the rules, I've exchanged things after the return by dates and as long as they see that you have the receipt and didn't buy it 2 years ago and aren't asking for cash back I don't usually have problems here. If you have a receipt here they usually just return or exchange the item without questioning it.

And never call a store first and ask. All stores can bend the rules and override things on their registers and allow things or get things to go through.

And saving all receipts! I also save all expensive items boxes, before Christmas I go through and throw out the ones from last year. A store is more likely to exchange an item and not question it if you have the original box. And it doesn't take up as much room as you think, you put all the smaller item boxes in the bigger item boxes.

Some places must be more strict on the rules, I've exchanged things after the return by dates and as long as they see that you have the receipt and didn't buy it 2 years ago and aren't asking for cash back I don't usually have problems here. If you have a receipt here they usually just return or exchange the item without questioning it.

I agree , always save reciepts and boxes! Im the worst with this. For Christmas I bought my daughter a victorious microphone, it worked so we threw out the box, next day will not work for anything and since I dont have the box they wont give a store credit, and they are no longer selling the item ( probably because I read a million bad reviews) I cant even exchange it..dd is totally bummed! Same with my son, scored an awesome bumblee racetrack toy during the target toy clearance. Dh put it together and its broken and they dont carry it anymore and wont refund since its been over there time allowance. So he is upset as well. So I have learned my lesson..OPEN EVERYTHING AND TEST IT, then keep the box and reciept anyway!!

But, I agree with every1, go through NIntendo a long wait is better then nothing!

I keep all Christmas and birthday present packaging for at least a month, even little $5 items, until I'm sure that everything works and there are no missing pieces and they work more than once... Then I throw out all the little plastic packaging and cheaper items boxes and keep the more expensive & electronic items boxes. I even do it for non-toy items, like a vacuum cleaner, for the house. Too many times something works for 4 months and then stops working, or something says that it has a 1 year warranty and then only works for 9 months. Stores are way more likely to return or exchange things if you still have the box. If you have the box they at least have a UPC code to scan & even if you don't get all of your money back, you get a store credit & that's better than nothing even if it's not the full amount you paid for it. I save all packaging that says "lifetime warranty" (even for little cheap kitchen gadgets) and have called companies and they will replace your items if they don't work.

I save all packaging that says "lifetime warranty" (even for little cheap kitchen gadgets) and have called companies and they will replace your items if they don't work.

I do the same thing. I have a file folder with receipts and the packaging that says "lifetime warranty". I have had stuff replaced years after I bought it.

I have my receipt and the box. It was outside of the return period by a few days. I said that in my original post. I did use up my returns at Walmart and tru but target wont take back a $99 item. Only up to $70 I sent it back to Nintendo and I am waiting for it to be returned.

Only up to $70 I sent it back to Nintendo and I am waiting for it to be returned.

Hopefully it won't be long til you get it back and your son will find something else to occupy himself with til it comes back. Sometimes it takes getting burned to do what afterwards seems a little obvious. I was lucky with electronics this year (as the few pieces I bought all work perfectly) but I'll keep this in mind for future purchases.

Luckily the George Foreman I got USED and without any accessories (from Macys on BF Weekend) was exchanged without problem, but this was a box with no seal that I could have easily verified myself before purchasing and saved myself the drive and traffic the week of Christmas when I finally got around to wrapping. Now I check almost everything before even taking it off the shelf (if packaging allows).

Luckily the George Foreman I got USED and without any accessories (from Macys on BF Weekend) was exchanged without problem, but this was a box with no seal that I could have easily verified myself before purchasing and saved myself the drive and traffic the week of Christmas when I finally got around to wrapping. Now I check almost everything before even taking it off the shelf (if packaging allows).

I open packages and check in the store too when possible, I hate having to go back to the store and say that something was missing out of the box. Good thing you checked before you wrapped it!

you know there was a thread on this over on the dis boards about people opening stuff, using it and returning it. Wow! What some people will do! It amazes me. I understand the product doesn't work but don't use it, abuse it, and then return it. Now this was sealed so I believe it came defective from Nintendo. Hopefully we'll have it back soon? We're going to disney in a few weeks(end of march) so I NEED it back before then lol. But someone said they needed bday candes and saw a pkg where they opened the candles, used them and the store took them back and resold them! I was disgusted. You could even see the frosting on the candles. She posted pics.

We're going to disney in a few weeks(end of march) so I NEED it back before then lol. But someone said they needed bday candes and saw a pkg where they opened the candles, used them and the store took them back and resold them! I was disgusted. You could even see the frosting on the candles. She posted pics.

Your post reminded me of the ADULTS in line waiting for a ferry, they were nonstop on the iPads to the point of ignoring THEIR kids. We just laughed because even though we're from Fl and have been to Disney loads we'd never consider bringing such a thing, kids is a different story though.

I may be off to Disney again on Thursday, my job offer may finally come through just in time to avoid me going but it's been a long time coming so I'll be happy either way.