* Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Thread *

ozziebandit

Ignorance. EDTVS are the better choice for many consumers, not just because they are cheaper, but because there is almost no difference in picture quality for common applications. Most dvds and video games will look exactly the same. HDTV may look slightly better, but the picture is great on edtvs until they start broadcasting at higher resolutions which may be years away. SDtv generally looks better on EDTV sets which is what most people are watching now.

Far more important to many is the quality of the set. I will take a high end edtv anyday over a low end hdtv plasma. I would stay away from these 999 edtvs personally, I got a deal on an LG/Zenith 42 inch edtvs, rated as one of the best on the market for 1260 on clearance, and the picture is superior to the Maganox hd and produces a considerably superior standard tv picture compared to the westinghouse.

I have to disagree with part of your statement. I will agree that SD TV will look the same if not slightly better since the TV does not have to try reproduce a TV feed that is less than 50% to 25% the resolution of an HD set. However, we are entering the age of HDTV whether from satellite, over the air(OTA) or std DVD and soon HD DVD. So essentially you are throwing money away now. You might as well just get a standard tube set.

Furthermore, If you are sitting 15+ feet away from the EDTV, yes the image uniformity issue will not present itself fully(that's the part I agree with you).

Yet, if you are less than 15 feet away, you can see image color differences(smoothing and color uniformity) and in some cases you can literally see pixel gaps(black spaces within the image)compared to an HDTV plasma.

An EDTV has 1/3 less pixels to an HD set which means more pixel spacing for same size units.

For example, if the Plasma is a 42" unit(TVs are measured in diagonal length-Top corner to opposite bottom corner), An EDTV will have a resolution of 852 x 480, while an HDTV will have a resolution of 1280 x 768 to 1366 x 768.

This is huge when you are playing DVD's or watching HDTV with lots of color variation. If you really want a descent image but do not want to splurge on a high priced Plasma or LCD, go with a HD tube TV which is about the same price as EDTV and will actually look better than a HD rear projection or EDTV and will be able to take advantage of all the current formats(leaving out 1080p in this discussion).

From FW:

For those that are looking into the Wal-Mart plasma like myself, I have found out in central Texas it is a Viore 42" plasma (Akai Made). I was told by an electronics Wal-Mart employee that they were in a trailer and locked up. Not to be placed on the floor unitl friday morning and max resolution was 852x480.

I have never bought a plasma and at best I am 50/50 about this one. There is a link on the same model on thier website http://www.WalMart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=4172364 that states ntsc tv tuner, needs set-up box. Anybody knows what this means? Perhaps tv to pc?

specs:

Includes NTSC TV tuner; requires a set-top box, purchased separately, to receive HD (high definition) signals

Widescreen (16:9) ratio for the true big picture

1024 x 1024 resolution

2000:1 contrast ratio

1000 cd/m2 brightness

ED and HD compatible: 480p, 720p, 1080i

PC support: VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA

Component video input: RCA x2

S-video input: DIN 4 pin x1

Analog VGA input: D-Sub 15 pin x1

DVI input

5W x 5W built-in rear speakers for a clean, uncluttered look

View angle: 160-degrees H/V

16.7 million colors possible

Satin black finish

Size, with stand: 41"W x 3.5"D x 28"H; size, w/out stand: 41"W x 3.5"D x 25.2"H

Weight: 77.2 lbs

I look online for reviews on VIORE V42PD45M and they seem to be the exact same reviews, sounds fishy. But those that have reviewed it say they can get hdtv 1024x1024 out of it.

Can anyone confirm the brand/model of the WM plasma??

So... How exactly is one to know if the Plasma @ WM is going to be the Magnavox? I understand they sell it on thier website... but that doesnt mean much. Target sells a bunch of stuff online that you would never see in the store. The picture is similiar to the Mag... but is also dissimiliar in a couple ways as well. I've been to both the superwalmart and the regular WM in town and havent seen a single Mag around. I know I sound like a scrooge, but if this is truly the tv they are selling I would leave work to get in line right this second. I just dont want to get bamboozeledat 5:00 A.M. Friday morning. Someone convince me.

So... How exactly is one to know if the Plasma @ WM is going to be the Magnavox? I understand they sell it on thier website... but that doesnt mean much. Target sells a bunch of stuff online that you would never see in the store. The picture is similiar to the Mag... but is also dissimiliar in a couple ways as well. I've been to both the superwalmart and the regular WM in town and havent seen a single Mag around. I know I sound like a scrooge, but if this is truly the tv they are selling I would leave work to get in line right this second. I just dont want to get bamboozeledat 5:00 A.M. Friday morning. Someone convince me.

I plan to do the following:

Wait until Thursday where I will probably find out it's a crappy ED plasma. BUT, if it is in fact an HD plasma for $1k I will order it online with my laptop while I wait in line at BB. I'll be there all night, so I can check every so often to find out when they're available. If BB doesn't have a hot spot, I'll leave my wife in line and go over to Dunn Brothers or somewhere nearby with a hotspot and order it. Remember it's available online as well folks. I really can't get my hopes up because my gut is 98% sure it'll be a crap TV, but you never know.

Zooming in on the preview ad on walmart.com, you can pretty clearly see the brand is "VIORE". Now whether or not the ad shows the actual item that will be on sale is still a question...

Zooming in on the preview ad on walmart.com, you can pretty clearly see the brand is "VIORE". Now whether or not the ad shows the actual item that will be on sale is still a question...

You're exactly right... Just got done calling walmarts in and around the surrounding cities. Everyone (5) of them had the same answer... Viore. Whew... There is one less thing to worry about. Glad this was cleared up.

You're exactly right... Just got done calling walmarts in and around the surrounding cities. Everyone (5) of them had the same answer... Viore. Whew... There is one less thing to worry about. Glad this was cleared up.

Cool, good to know... I don't know how the Magnavox rumor started, but I think we can lay that to rest.

However: speculation has it, that THIS is the plasma that will be on sale.

I don't know if this is the same TV, but I couldn't find much, however, I found this discussion of a 42" Viore TV if anyone is interested.

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=869526&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=3&o=&fpart=1

Found this at Amazon it has pictures and specs...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B91PKY/104-8598114-4895143?v=glance&n=172282&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

I still don't know if this is the same one, but if so I may have to spend more money that I originally planned to spen on Friday!!

Regarding the possible Viore plasma:

To quote another thread: "This is NOT ED (852x480) it is 1024x1024. Therefore it *ALSO* is *NOT* "real/pure" HD (which is 720 or 1080). However it does have 2.56 times as many pixels as ED (exactly 1 megapixels vs 408,960 pixels) It does however accept HD signal sources.

What does this all mean? It means it will TRIM 1080i HD images to fit the 1024 screen. It will BLACK BORDER or STRETCH 720 HD and 480 ED images to fit the screen. It's that simple. "

:splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat: :splat:

well, off to bb i go

I'd take that Viore "HD" plasma over that piece of crap maxent at BB any day of the week. I know you work there, so have you even gone and looked at the thing? I thought I wanted it until I went and looked at it. I went to 2 different BB's and they looked like crap at both.

edit post...sorry didnt know IT WAS HD

not really HD, it says 1024x1024 which is odd. I'm still hard pressed to believe anything that's less than $1k would be better than ED resolution. But, if it is, I'll probably buy that walmart one online.

not really HD, it says 1024x1024 which is odd. I'm still hard pressed to believe anything that's less than $1k would be better than ED resolution. But, if it is, I'll probably buy that walmart one online.

Been reading some reviews on Viore and I think I might be doing the same thing. I was planning on spending $1500 on the BB Magnavox, but after seeing some reviews, I'm starting to lean towards the Viore and saving $500. No, it's not true HD but its not ED either. Many have said HD broadcasts on the Viore are excellent quality.

Whre do you get the 10% off coupon for Best Buy? Still interested in the Westinghouse.

Sue

As I previously stated, they won't honor the 10% off coupon because it's a sale item. You get the 10% off coupons by being a rewards zone member and on the back of the coupon is says "not valid with any other offers." In my opinion, for $899 it's still the best HDTV deal out there including all BF ads. I'ver had it since saturday and I still love it if that helps at all :D

Man this is tough. The max I can spend is ~$1000 and I want to get the extended warranty. I saw the circuit city ads and I didn't see it so I guess they're not offering the 0% financing on their BF sales items?

I'm torn between this tv:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=136248&WT.mc_n=57&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=AFFILIATE%20MARKETING&cm_cat=BEFREE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=57

and this one:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HCR4755WX%2fXAA

Which tv will give me the best bang for my buck? I want HD and I want to be able to hook up my HTPC to it and be able to play games on it.

I wouldn't mind spending more but I want to finance it if I'm going to be spending more.

I am considering the HCR4755W myself. Is it listed as a BF item, and if so,

where? I have seen on another forum that it is, but I can't confirm it yet.

C Snyder

I'm not interested in getting a plasma TV. I just want to upgrade our main TV from a 17" to something I can see from across the room. I thought about the 32" stereo from Circuit City but I would much rather have a black TV. (Call me old fashioned) So I thought we might go really nice and get the 51" from Sears (not completely black but the speaker gives it the look). Does anyone have any thoughts on my dillema. Which TV I should go for? Is the 51" Toshiba a good tv?

Ok,

I'm really leaning towards the WM Viore, 1024x1024 is a good rez, not pure 1080 but very close.

HOWEVER, I have like 5+ stations here (Denver) that have broadcast ATSC. So I really wanted a built in ATSC tuner. It's nice that it can do NTSC but I don't want to have to spring $200 for a ATSC.

What were the specs on the BB Mag 42" Plasma with "Built-IN" HDTV? Is it just EDTV with a ATSC Tuner?

How about contrast ratios for both, looks like Viore is 2000:1 with 1000 cd/m2 brightness.

It sounds like for $1k + $200 for a tuner you'd be MUCH better of then the BB ones...

Edit: I'm also looking at the Toshiba 46HM95 from BB... it looks like a nice set... I think from the specs sheet it's 1290x720 and has a ATSC tuner. Can someone confirm this? It's $1499 right?

Also what about NTSC?

Talk about a tight fit, I have a 53 1/2" opening for a tv in my livingroom. It says the Toshiba is 53.13" !!