Cingular Motorala Razr V3 Phone at Wal-Mart

lchapman18

interesting info. Marcster, is the razr selling for cheap as a prepaid phone?

If that's the way it is, that's an amazing deal. Back in September, I bought a Silver RAZR for my wife at Sam's Club's cell kiosk. It was $129.99 for the upgrade, plus the $18 upgrade fee on my next bill from Cingular for a total of $147.99. Not to mention that it renewed my contract for 2 years...

If this prepaid RAZR is $88, then all you have to do is put in your "postpaid" SIM card and your all set. Cingular doesn't know you've changed phones so there is no $18.00 upgrade fee from them, and no contract extension.

could you put in a sim card from another company??? and is it only cingular? I don't want cingular, or t-mobile (which I have now but not under contract) I want to get on a family plan that is already open, do you think they would let you have it for adding a line? I would be a new subscriber, but the people already on the plan would not be...

could you put in a sim card from another company??? and is it only cingular? I don't want cingular, or t-mobile (which I have now but not under contract) I want to get on a family plan that is already open, do you think they would let you have it for adding a line? I would be a new subscriber, but the people already on the plan would not be...

Cingular phones are GSM-technology and are locked to Cingular sims. If a Cingular phone is unlocked, you can use it with any other carriers sim card, as long as they also use GSM-technology. The only other major carrier that uses GSM is T-Mobile. There are local carriers that may or may not use GSM.

Nextel, Verizon, and Sprint all use different technology than Cingular.

alright thanks for that information, guess I will be looking elsewhere, as the 9.99 add a line is too good of a deal to pass up (for me atleast) my family already has a 4000 minute plan so I'm trying to find some kind of deal I can use with that with a new phone, according to your information, my current phone is not going to work. arg.

alright thanks for that information, guess I will be looking elsewhere, as the 9.99 add a line is too good of a deal to pass up (for me atleast) my family already has a 4000 minute plan so I'm trying to find some kind of deal I can use with that with a new phone, according to your information, my current phone is not going to work. arg.

Who is your carrier?

i have t-mobile right now, my family has nextel cingular already with two lines, it says you can add another line with the family plan link for 9.99 after the 2nd line... so thats the deal i'm looking for, now I just have to find a phone

You do know that you can get a cell phone through Cingular (or its indirect resellers) @ that $9.99 add a line price.... you don't have to run all over town.

If you wanted, you could but this $88 prepaid RAZR from Wal-Mart (not activate it), then go to a Cingular store with the "responsible party" for the Cingular family plan, have them add a line for you for $9.99/month w/ a two year commitment and pick ANY free phone at that store, then go home and switch the sim cards and be all set.

You'd be on your family's family plan, but you'd be using the phone you bought at Wal-Mart.

You can even then sell the "free" cell phone on eBay, or keep it as a backup phone.

Better yet, just go to your nearest Sam's Club with the the "responsible party" for the Cingular family plan and tell the person at the door that you are going to the phone kiosk (you don't even have to be a member). You can get a RAZR there as an add a line for $99.99 (for the phone) and $9.99/month w/a two year commitment.

Yes, it'll be $12.00 more, but you won't have to fight the crowds and you can do this TODAY, you won't need to wait till BF.

So...Cingular is the only carrier for the Razr? And what exactly is a "Sim card"?

The Silver RAZR was a Cingular exclusive, then the exclusive contract ran out and now T-Mobile has it too. The Black RAZR is now a Cingular exclusive.

There are rumors that Verizon will get a CDMA-technology version next year. But it's supposed to be very expensive, like $400.00.

This is a Cingular sim card:

http://tinypic.com/fpaste.jpg

(That little rectangle pops out and goes into the phone, the larger rectangle is to keep you from loosing the thing before you install it.

T-Mobile & Cingular each have their own version of the sim card.

The sim card is a chip, similar to a camera memory card. It contains your "identity" on the network -- the cell phone service follows the sim card, not the phone. That allows you to transfer the sim card from one phone to another... without having to bother telling the carrier that you want to change phones (try doing this with Verizon, Nextel or Sprint!)

Also, you have the option of storing phone numbers to the sim card. The advantage of this is that you can move from phone to phone and the stored numbers go with the sim card.

Many Cingular and T-Mobile customers change their phone daily. They might use a bigger phone at work, like the Palm Treo, and then have a smaller phone to go "out on the town" with.

It's one of the many reasons I like Cingular. :groovin:

The 3 major competing technologies in wireless communications are:

GSM - Cingular , T-Mobile

CDMA - Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, USCellular, Cricket & MetroPCS

iDEN - Nextel

GSM is a popular wireless technology that dominates in most of the world except the USA. GSM Phones use "smart chips" or "SIM cards" that identify you and your account on the network. You can also store your contacts on the card and swap card from 1 GSM phone to another on the fly. The phone that you use your SIM card in must be unlocked or the phone must be branded the same as your carrier (If you have a Cingular account, the the lock phone must be a cingular phone).

I personally don't like the "robotic voices" of poeple when you talk on a GSM phone.

CDMA is the dominant technology in the US and Korea. Technically speaking, CDMA is superior to GSM. Faster DATA speeds (now that EV-DO has launched) means high quality streaming video to your phones. The downside is that CDMA has no "SIM card" in it's phones (at least in the USA). The carriers don't want to lose control of what phone you are using on their network.

iDEN is an aging technology that was created by Motorola and adopted by Nextel. The network is "busting at the seems" and cannot be upgraded easily. This is the reason that Sprint and Nextel merger happened. Sprint gained all of Nextel's customers and will eventually ween them off of the iDEN network and over to CDMA by 2010 when they will then shut off the Nextel network and most likely selling it to the Department of Defense.

If you ever travel abroad and would like to easily use your existing phone, then I recommend GSM (A Quad BAND Phone)

If you never leave the USA, I say a CDMA carrier is best as far as coverage and data features. Many CDMA Phones are triband and roam on the really old analog cellular networks (Think "Saved by the Bell Zack Morris's BRICK cell phone"). Analog networks are still operating in rural areas for roaming purposes. GSM phones don't use analog at all. Keep in mind, your data, voicemail icon or txt messages don't work when roaming onto analog networks.

Also... a note about MVNO's.

MVNO's are MOBILE VIRTUAL NETWORK OPERATORS. Many prepaids are MVNO's. They sign agreement with the big carriers to use their network for the service, but operate under their own brand. Some other pre-paids are run by the carriers themselves. The Popular ones are usually the most expensive.

If you MUST go prepaid you might wanna try one of the new mom n pop MVNO's that are emerging. STi Mobile, Page Plus or Beyond Wireless is cheaper than any of the big guys.

• 2 weeks later...

let me guess, this ad is in store only? well i guess i wont find out til tomorrow until i go to the store tomorrow at 5am

i read somewhere that when in line, walmart reps/serivce will be passing out the BF ads...

I think it's instore only. You have to sign up for new service and a 2 yr contract.

I already have cingular, so I can't get the deal.

Guest lolwtfbbq
does anyone know if they will make you sign a contract before they give you the phones? or will they send you to customer service(aka im gonna walk out) to sign up... i would like to get 3 and stick them on ebay.

does anyone know if they will make you sign a contract before they give you the phones? or will they send you to customer service(aka im gonna walk out) to sign up... i would like to get 3 and stick them on ebay.

Nice screen name!

They will most likely make you fill out paperwork in store. You would have to set up 3 different accts.

Guest lolwtfbbq

Nice screen name!

They will most likely make you fill out paperwork in store. You would have to set up 3 different accts.

thanks, but do you know if they will make you fill out the paperwork before they give you the phones, or if they will tell you to go to customer service... if thats the case, ill "open 3 accounts" and just not go to customer service... thats what im hoping for.

I'm a little confused. I really want to get a RAZR phone, but are there any deals for Cingular customers who are NOT on a current contract? I initiated my service in Feb/March '04 I believe...with a one year contract that expired March '05. So I've been with them longer than 18 months but never heard of this phone upgrade thing. So what should someone in my situation do? Can I get the RAZR from BestBuy or WalMart (I don't mind renewing my contract if that's what I have to do.)