digital SLR's?

rodimus79

anyone noticed any deals on Black Friday for Digital SLR's? Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Pentax *isT, Olympus Evolt 300, etc.. among those I'm looking at. I'm looking to spend no more than $700. There have been decent deals on these over the past several months (some over at dell.com) although I was hoping Black Friday would provide a bargain.

Guest Frieked

I dunno, high end merch doesn't usually get discounted that much.

I wouldn't wanna go cheap with a DSLR anyways... there is a big difference in quality between low end and high end when it comes to photography.

I am kind of doubting BF will provide retailers a reason to discount much on these, sadly. Retailers discount SLR's based on what new SLR is coming out usually, how long the current SLR has been out, etc.

If you buy online, just make sure to check out the merchant through http://www.bizrate.com first. A lot of online merchants (not well known ones) will strip down the camera of the basic *necessities* to make it such a good price. B&H Photo is a good site. ;)

Good luck! We are in the market for another Nikon D70 (probably not the D70s though) as well. :)

Digital SLR's usually only go on (great) sale, when a new model is released. The only new DSLR currently, is the Nikon D200, so you probably can get a deal on a D100, but not $700.

Also, remember that you will need a lens, so you will have to look for a kit. You will also need a filter, a backup battery, and maybe a camera bag. So, I'm afraid you are not being realistic with the amount of money you want to spend. However, you can get a pretty good Prosumer camera for that money. Those are the cameras with the fixed lens, usually 10x-12x zoom, and 5-8MP's. If I was in the market, I would get the new Canon, but the Nikon 8700 is pretty good as well.

anyone noticed any deals on Black Friday for Digital SLR's? Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50, Pentax *isT, Olympus Evolt 300, etc.. among those I'm looking at. I'm looking to spend no more than $700. There have been decent deals on these over the past several months (some over at dell.com) although I was hoping Black Friday would provide a bargain.

CompUSA will be including the "starter kit" with the Rebel XT -- includes a decent carrying case, 1gb cf card, extra battery, and maybe a few other bits and pieces -- it's regularly $100, but it'll be included with the $999 Rebel XT setup (that's the one that includes the lens as well). You'll also qualify for the $75 canon rebate.

Having said that, if you are familiar with dealpass and have some patience, you *could* put together a much better deal. Amazon recently had a 5% off sale, and I was able to do this:

$854 canon Rebel XT Kit with Lens (after the 5% discount)

$184 Pixma 6600D Printer (after 5% discount)

$162 canon 70-300 EF III Zoom Lens (after 5% discount)

----------------------------------------------------------

$1200. No tax/free shipping.

*.8 also have Dealpass certificates to Amazon (just under $1000), so I can take 20% off

$ 960

- 225 (canon Camera Rebate)

- 15 (canon Lens rebate)

- 75 (canon Printer Rebate)

$ 645 Final Price.

======================

Hope that helps...

I already have filters, bags, and access to extra lenses if need be.. not worried about any costs outside of the kit. my prior digital camera's ccd died on me, so I'm slightly hesitant about Nikons.. typically shoot with a standard SLR, and wouldn't have it otherwise. fixed lens prosumer models don't allow me to do much.

I found this deal which unfortunately expired but looking for similar value.. I'm hoping Dell offers discounts or rebates on BF.. (Olympus Evolt 8MP with lens for $634)

*dealmac.com/deals/Olympus-EVOLT-E-500-8-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-w-Lens-for-634/98451.html*