iPod shuffle / MP3 players

berry1014

We are looking to get either an iPod shuffle or an mp3 player for our 10 yr old. Not sure which would be better. Kind of leaning towards the shuffle but worried she might lose it because of how small it is. Would like to hear from those who have gotten one or the other for their tween. Edited by berry1014

I think it depends on the child.

My son, 14, got a nice mp4 player I think last year - low and behold he hasn't lost it once, it still works, and it's still in good shape (it was a Coby one for like $20 last year before the holidays). I think he would be ready an iPod shuffle/nano.

My oldest daughter 16 got a mp3 player (actually 3 now) and it's been lost, broken, beaten, stepped on and abused - she is NOT ready for something that costs more than $25 imho. (well at least not if I pay for it). This last one doesn't work anymore, btw.

For a 10 yr old, my personal opinion, I'd go with a nice $20 dollar player (watch the online deals forum, I do recommend Coby brand) - see how well they take care of it, and possibly upgrade next year. Unless you have lots of money to toss around and money isn't an issue - then go for ipod.

If I had unlimited cash, my kids would have gotten ipods the first year they asked, sadly no unlimited funds here. lol

I got my son the ipod touch for either his 10th or 11th birthday and he's now 12 and still uses it all the time. I was always worried that my kids would lose the shuffle because of how small it is. My daughter drops stuff all the time and doesn't take care of her stuff very well so she has an mp3 player, she is almost 11, but has been asking for an ipod shuffle so we may go that route for xmas.

We have a Sansa Sandisk Clip 4GB and two Clip+ 4GB.

The + version is expandable. We love them... I've had them for years and aside from a few scratches they play as perfectly as ever.

[video=youtube;GgwsWl0NZ74]

Never mind the retail prices she throws out there, unlike the Apple Shuffle, there are discounted prices for the Sansa players.

They've just released a 3rd generation, called the Clip Zip, with even more capabilities, and a full-color screen.

All of these clip to a belt or shirt pocket.

[video=youtube;fd3m4MtzUJM]

I bought my son two or three different mp3 players when he was in high school. They got broken in different ways. He didn't want an iPod product so I held off giving him one. Then I got one as a prize, I let him try it out.

The next morning he was walking around saying "12 hours of music and the battery is still going strong."

My nephew at age 14 told me that his music was too important to be on a shuffle, where it plays in any order. He needed at least a nano.(Yes, I laughed at this).'

After dealing with dropped mP3 players, I found the the iPod line worked the best for teenagers.

Darla

I started off with the shuffle and I still have it. I've dropped it many times. It's about 5 years old (maybe older) and is still going strong. I wanted the shuffle because it clips on to my shirt when I'm working out.

My shuffle is pink and I have pink iLuv earbuds. I bought the ear buds at Marshals for about $6.99. The pair I bought had three different sizes of silicon covers to have a more custom fit. They also had volume control on the cord which was really nice while working out.

I am finally ready to take my 1300+ songs mobile. I would like a mp3 player that can also run playlists.

I have looked at the Zune's and due to price and capabilities, so far they look the best. I like the idea of it playing a movie, but that and apps are not required. I want something I can use, but hand to my 6 year old to listen to for a while and not worry.

I cannot feel that comfortable with my cell phone or a $300 aipple pod.

Any other options I should really consider. I can get a 32GB Zune for around $70, so that is my range at the moment.

We have had great success with Apple Products. We have four kids aged 9,7,6, and 5. Last year we got all of them Apple Ipod Touches for Christmas as one very big gift. We got them direct from Apple from their certified refurbished department. They had just released the latest version with Cameras and that really didn't matter to our kids. I believe we paid $150 for them each. They have been the best gift. The kids use them a ton and all four are working well. Whats nice about Apple and the Itunes is that any app we have purchased can be put on all four touches as well as my wife and I's iphones. So the .99 Angry Birds was able to be put on all the devices for the .99 cents. Our kids have a ton of education apps. They also have in many ways replaced the need for the Nintendo DS as they now sit collecting dust. My wife has a touch as well and I have both an original Nano as well as larger 30 GB ipod and all of these devices continue to work to this day.

Where have you seen a 32gb Zune for $70. I would love to get one. THanks

guess it was 30GB: lightly used, but I will not be very kind with it once I get it, so I dont worry. As I said, I want something that I can also hand to my 6 yr old for a few minutes if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000OK0YWK/ref=sr_1_11_olp?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1320675493&sr=1-11&condition=used