Assume you had a job in retail, what would you do or say to get out of working on BF?

Rebirth

I always chose Christmas Eve over BF because it wasn't as busy, and shoppers were mostly men who appreciated any sales help. However, the days following either holiday were a nightmare of rude people making returns for all the junk they bought that they didn't need. The worst were those who argued because, without a receipt, we could only give them the final markdown price and a store credit. They wanted cash on the original price, and that's when we knew the item had probably been shoplifted. We were working long hours for just over minimum wage - it made me sick. I've treated sales clerks with respect ever since.

Guest all2tired
I'd have my hubby say I was in the ER then when I got done shopping, I'd stop over at the hospital, locate a friend of mine and get a note saying I was there. But since I'm a SAHM, I don't need to lie

My first job as a teen was TRU. My family always went out of town for Thanksgiving and being that I was 15, I didn't have a choice in going with my parents of not!! I told my boss about a week before the holiday (when our schedule came out) that I would be out of town. He promptly informed me that any employee who didn't show up for BF was fired - no exceptions. So, I worked untill the Tuesday before and didn't go back!

I worked for HomeGoods which part of the TJ Maxx INc. One BF I only worked a hour because we was so dead. The next year i did not worked BF at. I am planning on being off that again this year. Even if the sign in the break room say everyone has BF that does not include me.

I worked in the backroom as a processor and rarely gets out on the floor except do markdowns. The boss get tired of me for sending everyone to customer service get there questions asnwer.

I am in the back two busy putting things to together.

Me and one other guy both don't work on the floor or run cash register so we is useless on that day. He going to Chicago for Thanksgiving. I going to shopping in the city or in Altanta.

I currently work for a government agency I cannot name and my boss wants me to work on BF so that he can go deer hunting. I lied and told him that I do not have a baby sitter....... I will be working my way through the stores that day!!!! He thought he was being smart mouthed and said well you will have to work the following Monday then. I acted like oh man :) :2pimp:

This will be my first holiday season since 1999 that I wasn't working retail. The first 5 years were at Best Buy and last year was CompUSA. Although I technically didn't work the holidays last year. The way I got out of working BF at Comp last year was this... My shift started at 2 PM. I walked in at 1:45 and told the manager I quit. It was something I almost did Wednesday night before I left. I just didn't agree with the way they conducted business. I must admit, it felt really good to quit on BF!

My first job as a teen was TRU. My family always went out of town for Thanksgiving and being that I was 15, I didn't have a choice in going with my parents of not!! I told my boss about a week before the holiday (when our schedule came out) that I would be out of town. He promptly informed me that any employee who didn't show up for BF was fired - no exceptions. So, I worked untill the Tuesday before and didn't go back!

If you knew your family always went out of town for Thanksgiving why did you wait until one week before the holiday to tell your boss you would not be there? Seasonal hiring usually begins a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and employers need to know how many of their regular employees will be there in order to determine how many temps to hire. If their policy was to require everyone to work on BF you should have told your boss as soon as the job offer was made and then left it up to him/her to decide if they still wanted to employ you.