Gift ideas for a tween boy!

khuddle

My son is 12 and is so hard to buy for. I used to be able to get him legos and know he would be thrilled. He has recently given all his lego's to his younger brother.

I know I will be getting him some vidoe games, but am looking for some other ideas.

He has a phone, but does not use it much at all. He is not overly social and really likes to do things on his own rather than a group of friends. It is making it so hard to buy anything for him. He does want some cool decorations for his room.

any ideas?

Digital camera, ipod or mp3 player, cologne, favorite team hoodie, maybe something more complicated than legos..maybe those wooden airplane models (my FIL loves to them)If he is artistic or musical maybe something to encourage him in those things.

Thanks for the input.

He does have an ipod touch, but it is an older model. We might upgrade that. We are also thinking a new TV for both the boys (8 and 12) for their TV room. Trying to avoid TV in their room for a while longer since hey have the TV room that is pretty much all theirs.

I have a 12 year old who has the iPhone, and a couple different video game systems. Last year we got him a dirt bike...there is no way I can top that. Heck I'm not gonna try to. I'm thinking I'll get him a mid-priced $400???ish tops laptop as his main gift this year and let that be it. I have a tablet computer and he shows no interest in it..so I don't think that would be any good. I do know I'll throw a few iTunes cards in the stocking...but I have zero other ideas!

This may be a stupid question, but have you just outright asked him what he wants? Then you can add accessories to whatever it is and build upon that. Also since he mentioned room decor, maybe you can pull one of those quick room makeovers and surprise him with that. If all else fails, maybe a laptop would be a good idea.

Not a stupid question at all, but yes I did ask him.

He is one of these kids that just does not say a lot. He said.. you know I would be happy with anything.

Right now he is really into the xbox. He just saved up enough money to buy one over the summer. I know I am going to get some accessories for that.

I think I am going to focus on his room like he asked. A cool desk. Mabe a black light with some cool posters. He is into science and technology so maybe a laptop for sure. Most years I know exactly what to get. This year has been hard becasue not only do I not know, but everything I think of is expensive...

Sounds like you have a great kid. I think he'll really like the laptop. They have a lot of cool skins that you can put on it to make it more personalized. I have a daughter that's turning 13 next month and all she talks about is a laptop, mainly because she has to use the superslow family desktop.

Don't forget a wireless (wi-fi) printer to go with the laptop. Maybe some good stocking stuffers would be gift cards to his favorite stores (maybe Gamestop and Bestbuy for the xbox games and techno stuff).

Here's a link to all the xbox accessories http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Accessories?xr=shellnav

X box has the kinect system and something called xbox live that's worth looking into.

Yea.. he is pretty good. I think I will keep him. ;)

Grandparents are getting teh kinect.

DH and I think we will go for the laptop. Same issue here.. he has to use the slow family computer.

His xbox live membership ends in November, but I think he has saved enought money to buy the next 12 months. We really encourage him saving money for things like that so he knows it is not free. He had a roblox membership forever and I do not think he ever realized that we were paying $6.00 a month for that until here recently when we got rid of it.

We are telling family members Xbox live points and itunes gift cards.

• 2 weeks later...
I finally had to just outright ask my son. We have come to an agreement on some things. And at first he didnt want a laptop!!! Now he chose one, but what he doesn't know is have chosen a better one(, lol! He chose some little things like batting gloves, for baseball, and a few video games (those add up so he won't get but 2), and then he'll get whatever else I decide to throw in. I think he's going to be one happy kid.

I made him sit down and list 5 - 10 vidoe games he wanted. He just bought an xbox this summer so he does not have many games. He will not get 5-10, but I wanted options and for him not to know exactly what he was getting.

We also went shopping. He is just not starting to pick out his clothes that he likes and not depend so much on what I pick for him. I got a good idea of the style he likes.

Love the telescope idea. He has wanted one for a while and I had forgetten about that.

What about a gift certificate for someplace fun to go in the summer, or give him an overnight stay at an indoor water park over Christmas break? I'm all about experiences, lasting gifts (works of art), or as a last resort consumables. More than anything, I'm really digging the idea of giving something that will provide lasting memories. I should be selling vacations for a living.