Want tips for how to make a tree look very FULL & decorated

allshoppedout

I am sure the answer is ALOT of ornaments/stuff but I wondered if any of you use a SITE to suggest the amount of lights/ornaments and SIZE of them...

I wanted to make my tree look like the ones I see in the background sets of QVC for example.

Well 2 years ago, I tried--bought a big multiple pack of balls in a medium size and another in a large size, but put them on tree and they just looked gawdy to me, maybe I was too close, and it'd look better from afar? But I packed them all up and sent them back...

I'd love to hear suggestions from any/all who have experimented with different themes/sizes.

Colors, types of garland, and details of where you bought them would be helpful to me, as well as maybe other gotta dealers.

Thanks

I don't have a site to recommend, and don't know what style you like. Anyway, my living room tree is decorated with golds, burgundy's and such. I bought burgundy poinsettia bunches and snipped off the limbs and inserted them in the tree. I also purchased some gold limbs that I place coming off the branches. It adds alot of color and volume to the tree. You could do this with almost anything that matches your decor. Go to joann fabrics, or michaels and look at the differnet things you can add.

The only tip I can think of at the moment is to vary how far into the tree you place your ornaments. Don't put them all at the very ends of the branches, but don't put them all way back into the tree either. After placing most of your ornaments, stand back several feet and look at it as if you're seeing it for the first time. If there are some areas that look cluttered but others that look bare, rearrange the limbs, garland, ornaments, etc. a little at a time, until it looks more even.

Hope that helps! :)

I don't have any ideas as such, more of a tip. Keep an eye out at Target either during the season or afterwards for a set like this.

We bought one at 75% off a few years ago for my moms bff and she loves it (but she does pay a friend to come decorate her tree). Her set came with the storage box as pictured with lots of ball ornaments as well as poinsettia looking flowers and bows that matched the color scheme. Every year she adds a few more ornaments to the mix and her tree looks lovely. If I find the pic we took for our Christmas photo cards last year I'll post it. I love the idea but I was born without a creative/artistic bone in my body and anything but ornaments is a bit of a mission for me:P

A trick that we have been using to fill out our tree is to get the matching ribbon and bows to place on the tree. Instead of garland we drape the long ribbon pieces from the top of the tree and let it flow to the bottom. Then we fill the empty spaces with bows along with the ornaments.

Thanks for posting, they are beautiful and I see the tree they have posted decorated (as an alternate picture on site) and it is lovely. I think I'd have to wait for the following year, wouldn't want to put the 100.oo now, although they surely look like they are "worth it" thank you for sharing.

I don't have any ideas as such, more of a tip. Keep an eye out at Target either during the season or afterwards for a set like this.

We bought one at 75% off a few years ago for my moms bff and she loves it (but she does pay a friend to come decorate her tree). Her set came with the storage box as pictured with lots of ball ornaments as well as poinsettia looking flowers and bows that matched the color scheme. Every year she adds a few more ornaments to the mix and her tree looks lovely. If I find the pic we took for our Christmas photo cards last year I'll post it. I love the idea but I was born without a creative/artistic bone in my body and anything but ornaments is a bit of a mission for me:P

A trick that we have been using to fill out our tree is to get the matching ribbon and bows to place on the tree. Instead of garland we drape the long ribbon pieces from the top of the tree and let it flow to the bottom. Then we fill the empty spaces with bows along with the ornaments.

I have seen this on tv, but no one I know has their tree this way, I have always been curious, how do you (anyone) SECURE the ribbons that flow downward? Do you pin them to the big bow--on the underside--that is at tree top?

Or do you hook them randomly down?

Sorry if my question sounds silly but we have a high traffic house and I wouldn't want my ribbons flying off weekly..LOL.. Thanks

I use ribbon also, and use wired ribbon. And put ornaments inside the tree. But then I have 3 large plastic containers full of ornaments. But the I believe you can never have too many ornaments.

Hey, the ribbon that trails down from the top, do you just let it hang?

Or secure it somehow?

I took wired ribbon, and cut five pieces the length of my tree. Then I stapled all of them together like a star shape. The opening part in the middle of the star I put over the tip of the top of the tree. This way the ribbon is starting from the tip and flowing down. The angel on top covers up the stapled star part. Then I can shape the ribbon wire to appear flowey or whatever I feel like!

Hope that helps!

IT DOES! Thank you, I might just try it this year.

I've used beaded garland, tinsel garland, little bows, angels, candy canes/ornaments...My tree has looked good with various themes, but I wanted to feel "wow" when I look at it..

I took wired ribbon, and cut five pieces the length of my tree. Then I stapled all of them together like a star shape. The opening part in the middle of the star I put over the tip of the top of the tree. This way the ribbon is starting from the tip and flowing down. The angel on top covers up the stapled star part. Then I can shape the ribbon wire to appear flowey or whatever I feel like!

Hope that helps!

I also use the ribbon on my tree. I use paper clips to secure the tops to the highest branches of my tree. Also, just a little tip for storing them when you're done....wrap the ribbon around empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls and secure it with the paper clips. It keeps the ribbon nice and neat and it keeps the paper clips you will need again next year!!

I use a product called "deco poly mesh" on my tree every year. I am a tree freak! I am lucky enough to have a 12' tree that has to look like it came out of a catalog or department store display! My DH tolerates my needs on this! Try searching for some pictures of trees decorated with the stuff. I love using it in all of my decorating at the holidays. It is cheap, and a lot of possibilities and color options.

Thanks for the tip...I am definitely doing that this year...I can't wait!

Hope that helps!