Looking To Shoot Some Hoops For Christmas

dwc designs

Ok so this year the search is on for a Portable Basketball System. DD9 has been playing basketball for about 3 years now and has fallen in love with the game. Everything is basketball inspired now, from her room to her locker at school. Over the summer she was selected as one of the top national players in AAU basketball in her age group. Half way through the second season as she was going for a layup she was pushed and ended up breaking her patella (knee cap) and requiring surgery. She missed out on the remainder of the summer and all of the fall season. The girl is a die hard and is ready to get back out there and the Dr. just gave me the green light to start working her back into our practices. She has told me her wish for Christmas is to play with the team again!

Sorry for the long back story, but I haven't really followed the basketball systems in the past and was wondering are there any real steals out there on BF? I'm looking for one of the adjustable 48" sets. Are there any out there you guys recommend? Any I should stay away from? Also if you have purchased one in the past, where the heck did you hide the thing?

Thanks in advance!

Keep an eye out on TRU. They usually have them starting in their Big Book, and don't wait if you see a good price. I used to work there and they always sold out pretty quickly. Sorry to hear about your daughter, but glad she is doing better now:gdclap:

I didnt hide a basketball set but I did hind a trampoline one year. I had one friends have at her house and she brought it over Christmas Eve. Do you have a shed or anything that can be locked? Hope your daughter has a good season. My daughter broke her arm right after first soccer practice last year and other arm right at start of softball this year. She started school with cast and ending school in a cast. She wasnt allowed to play at all. She really missed it, but things all good now, she is taking up riding horses. I hope there are no broken bones this year.

Wal-mart had a system before too. One year we did a basketball goal for my oldest DS that had to be cemented in the ground. We put the pole in the ground a week before Christmas and planned to put up the backboard and net on Christmas Eve when the kids were in bed. Of course the kids wanted to know what the pole was for. We simply told them it was a Christmas pole and we were going to decorate it for Christmas. They loved it!! On Christmas morning DS was going to the car, saw what it really was and began shouting "I need a ball" "I need a ball" Great memory for us!

Thanks all for the advice.

Rose- She is doing a lot better now. My original plan was to head to TRU and use there layaway plan. I have to see if they allow the Basketball systems.

Brad- I was already looking in our local Dick's and Sports Authority but wasn't really familiar with there BF sales. Do you think it's worth it to wait until then?

I didnt hide a basketball set but I did hind a trampoline one year. I had one friends have at her house and she brought it over Christmas Eve. Do you have a shed or anything that can be locked? Hope your daughter has a good season. My daughter broke her arm right after first soccer practice last year and other arm right at start of softball this year. She started school with cast and ending school in a cast. She wasnt allowed to play at all. She really missed it, but things all good now, she is taking up riding horses. I hope there are no broken bones this year.

WOW sorry to hear that. I thought that my DD had bad luck. I think the hardest part for my daughter was missing summer! I have a garage but we use it daily. Our basement is the theatre room, so they are constantly down there. :g_think:

Wal-mart had a system before too. One year we did a basketball goal for my oldest DS that had to be cemented in the ground. We put the pole in the ground a week before Christmas and planned to put up the backboard and net on Christmas Eve when the kids were in bed. Of course the kids wanted to know what the pole was for. We simply told them it was a Christmas pole and we were going to decorate it for Christmas. They loved it!! On Christmas morning DS was going to the car, saw what it really was and began shouting "I need a ball" "I need a ball" Great memory for us!

That's the effect I'm going for. I really want her to be surprised. I can't do the cement pole because it would end up blocking our driveway. I guess I could check to see how large the box the system comes in. That would help with the storing of it.

My uncle taught me this trick a few years ago when he was buying his kids an air hockey table.

When you're buying things for Christmas that are going to be hard to hide, use a storage facility. Many of them have deals like $1 for the first month with no contract. You just need to bring your own lock. And since Black Friday is on the 25th this year, you could do your shopping, stop there on the way home and get the storage space, and then empty it Christmas Eve all in one month's time (barely). There's a place around the corner from me that will charge $1 for the first month and $36 each month after for a 5ft x 5ft inside climate controlled storage space. If I bought something before BF, worst case is I'd be on the hook for $36 extra.

http://www.publicstorage.com/personal-storage.aspx

if it is from you, and not santa, check freecycle... seriously... the portable ones are put up all the time on ours... (we have 2 hoops along our driveway.... one is set to regulation for my 8th grader, the other is at its lowest point for our 4-yo-friend :)

Yep to what Conj said .. I gave mine away last summer. As the kids got older, they stopped playing with it.

But on that note - they are easy to hide BEFORE they are assembled. She'd never guess from the box what's inside. But once you put it together, it's really hard to get it apart! I know it can be done, but it's a pain! Epecially if they put sand in the base or worse - cement!

My uncle taught me this trick a few years ago when he was buying his kids an air hockey table.

When you're buying things for Christmas that are going to be hard to hide, use a storage facility. Many of them have deals like $1 for the first month with no contract. You just need to bring your own lock. And since Black Friday is on the 25th this year, you could do your shopping, stop there on the way home and get the storage space, and then empty it Christmas Eve all in one month's time (barely). There's a place around the corner from me that will charge $1 for the first month and $36 each month after for a 5ft x 5ft inside climate controlled storage space. If I bought something before BF, worst case is I'd be on the hook for $36 extra.

http://www.publicstorage.com/personal-storage.aspx

Awesome idea and one I'd never thought of before!