Christmas Morning and Church

momto2pdx

Since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, I'm interested in finding out how others with kids who still have Santa come are handling the presents this year? I don't really want to rush the kids off to church, but we are going.

For the past 5? years MIL & FIL have come over to our house in their PJ's :D and opened presents with us. We have coffee and donuts or coffee cake. Then they go home, we all get showered and dressed and go to their house for more presents and dinner. We LOVE this tradition, but we're trying to figure out how to incorporate church. We've thought about having Santa make an early stop on the 23rd (opening presents on the morning of the 24th), and explaining that he does that for folks who go to church on years Christmas falls on Sunday. By time Christmas falls on Sunday again, the kids will probably be done with Santa. (They're 4 and 6). But I'm not sure I like the idea of Santa coming that early.

I've thought of us going out to dinner on Christmas Eve and coming home to find Santa came early for the above reason, but MIL doesn't really want to be out and about on Christmas Eve night.

I'm thinking we're just going to have to forego the tradition for this year. And them coming over earlier to be able to do our routine and then go home and get ready for church doesn't work well either. Too early for all of us!

Any ideas?

Holly

We open our presents christmas eve and have santa that morning. That way we have enough time to do all the things that need to be done and the kids can play with the things they got before we go to church(this year),then moms and mom-in-laws for dinner. It works for us.

try to work around the mass times on christmas day if thats the only time MIL can get over there..you are the ones with the kids MIL might have to do the adjusting a bit..you can let them go to bed early christmas eve then wake them up at 10pm or so and let them open stuff say you woke up and santa had already come....then you will be free in the morning. or open really early before mass. I'm doing midnight mass this yr.

kathy

We always go Christmas Eve for candlelight service. Before DH and I got married, DS and I would go to Christmas Eve service and then get up Christmas Day, open his stocking and go to 9AM Christmas Service (very abbreviated Communion service, usually < 1 hour) then come home and open the gifts. My parents always came to share the day with us. After DH and I got married, we switched churches and the new one didn't offer a Christmas Day service, so DD never had this tradition. We are probably only going Christmas Eve this year.

Of course then there's the story of my sister.....

She was about 3 and my parents dressed her upstairs, put her coat on her and threw a blanket over her head and took her out the door to church. They just got to church and there were all these kids with their new toys, gifts, etc and my sister started wailing that Santa had forgotten her and she HAD been GOOD!!!! There was no way to console her so they actually had to LEAVE church and take her home to show her he hadn't forgotten! My parents still talk about that to this day.... and she's 49 now!!! :D

Of course then there's the story of my sister.....

She was about 3 and my parents dressed her upstairs, put her coat on her and threw a blanket over her head and took her out the door to church. They just got to church and there were all these kids with their new toys, gifts, etc and my sister started wailing that Santa had forgotten her and she HAD been GOOD!!!! There was no way to console her so they actually had to LEAVE church and take her home to show her he hadn't forgotten! My parents still talk about that to this day.... and she's 49 now!!! :D

Now that's too funny...sounds like something that would happen to us.