Share your Black Friday "good samaritan" stories

MarkRaby

Sure we all have a Black Friday horror story or two. But the world does have some good people in it. For every 10 line skippers and cart thieves, there must be at least 1 person who does something kind to their fellow Black Friday shoppers. Here's one of my good experiences:

2004:

I was in Best Buy's incredibly long line. I obviously had no cart (it's impossible to get one if you don't wait outside at 3 AM), and I had a 17" CRT monitor that I had to push around the floor as the line continued. After a little while, the guy in front of me (who actually had a cart) offered to let me put all of my items in his cart. He was a really nice guy, and I really appreciated not having to lug around all that stuff through a store-encompassing line.

-Mark-

I was in toys r us and there were no carts. I was 9 months pregnant and my sister and I had a bunch of stuff. The line was really long and this lady in front of me gave me her cart so i wouldnt have to hold everything and i could lean on the cart.

I have held the place in the law-a-way line for shoppers in front and behind me so they could finish their Walmart shopping. I also ALWAYS give my cart to someone with a lot of stuff before leaving a store and I let people trying to find a parking spot where I am parked so they can get my spot when I pull out.

The worst year I have ever went to BF was the one when I went w/ my cousin. It was also the year I met the nicest ladies. They were inline behind us and were in a big group. Half were going over to the mall to KB toys. They shared their ads and asked if we needed anything. Also shared their gloves.

One year at Wal-Mart I was in line waiting for a digital camera. I was talking to the lady behind me and mentioned that I could not find every thing I wanted to price match. After a few minutes she asked me if I would hold her place in line and watch her cart, she wanted to get something. When she came back she had one of the items I wanted and handed it to me. She told me she had seen it earlier but did not want to get my hopes up until she checked. She was definitely one of Santa's helpers

A lot of times, we aren't in our own area to shop on BF because we are visiting family for the holiday. One year, I went into a store that had an ad for the kids toy Barbie Computer for my daughter. It was a grocery type store, that I had never been in before, so I didn't know about their strange policy! I had it and waited in the line for almost an hour only to be told they wouldn't except debit cards that had to be ran as a credit card, credit cards or checks. They only accepted cash or debit cards with a pin number. I didn't have enough cash on me, and my debit card couldn't be used with a pin number unless it was an ATM. I explained this to them, but it didn't matter. I was upset about this and told them, I wouldn't be able to get it then. I was walking away, when a hand touched my arm and asked me to wait. It was the elderly lady behind me. She handed them the money for the computer and told me that I could either write her a check, or she would wait until I could get the cash from an ATM and come back. It was so sweet of her to do that! I was so thankful to her.

A lot of times, we aren't in our own area to shop on BF because we are visiting family for the holiday. One year, I went into a store that had an ad for the kids toy Barbie Computer for my daughter. It was a grocery type store, that I had never been in before, so I didn't know about their strange policy! I had it and waited in the line for almost an hour only to be told they wouldn't except debit cards that had to be ran as a credit card, credit cards or checks. They only accepted cash or debit cards with a pin number. I didn't have enough cash on me, and my debit card couldn't be used with a pin number unless it was an ATM. I explained this to them, but it didn't matter. I was upset about this and told them, I wouldn't be able to get it then. I was walking away, when a hand touched my arm and asked me to wait. It was the elderly lady behind me. She handed them the money for the computer and told me that I could either write her a check, or she would wait until I could get the cash from an ATM and come back. It was so sweet of her to do that! I was so thankful to her.

WOW! Not too many people would have done that. That gave me tears...pretty sappy of me huh?

Not sappy, I had tears that day. Still do sometimes when I think about it. Not that many people in the world anymore. I guess it is kind of hard to be too trusting. She was definately my angel that year! My husband was out in the van and I asked him to go over to the bank next door and get her the money while I stayed there and chatted with her. I figured she did such a sweet thing, that she should be given the cash to know she was getting her money. I shared some of my coupons with her too. It was the least I could do. :)

2 years ago we started at JC Penney at 6am but the other store in the mall I wanted to go to (Zales) but it wasn't open yet so we sat outside and when an older gentleman walked up to the store to start opening, I asked him when they planned to open.

Unfortunately it wasn't for another 45 minutes but he asked me what I had come for - happened to be a 1/2 ct 3 stone ring for $199!- and he asked me what cut (princess of course ;) ) & said he would hold it for me. I was shocked but sure enough, when we came back a couple hours later he had it on his finger so it would not get sold. That was so very nice of him to do that for me.

Last year at Walmart the Gameboy advances were in the same place as the Portable DVD players behind the counter in Sporting goods, I only wanted the DVD player and was about the 6th person in the line,well I was chatting with others when walmart announced that there would only be 2 to a customer and if you wanted more you would have to get in the end of the line, The line stretched all the way back to dairy which is the other end of the store. There where two people one in front of me and one behind me, One was buying for her four kids and the other had 5 grand kids, so I bought two, my daughter bought two and my other runner bought one, I also sent my daughter and her friend to run and get other things they wanted well after they collected everything I was there for.

two years ago I was waiting in front of walmart and I had brought a friend with me. It was freezing outside and we still had an hour to wait. I sent my friend to McDonald's to get me a cup of coffee and had him get a cup for the lady in front of me since she was by herself. She was so thankful she gave us one of her carts since we didn't have one. Good thing she did since I ended up getting a lot more then I really went for.

Last year, it got really cold BF morning (not normal for Texas -but Texas weather is not normal ). There were about 20 people standing with me at the front of the line- mos twere not dressed properly and most without gloves. I had to go to the bathroom and they all told me to go and they would save my spot. So on my way back, I grabbed a bag of gloves that I had gotten at Target at the dollar spot for 25 cents. I handed out 15 pair of gloves to all the nice people who held my spot. Some people tried to give them back and I just told them to donate them to a coat/glove drive if they didn't want them.