Christmas dinner

motoXmom

What does everyone have for dinner at Christmas? I just ordered our Ham from Marketday and not sure what else I want to make with it. Mashed taters? I would like to try something different but nothing waaay out there! Anyone have any ideas? What do you have?

standing rib roast

yorkshire pudding

broccoli/artichoke casserole

mashed potatoes with home made gravy from the beef drippings

green bean casserole

southern-style green beans (no squeekers here!)

tossed field greens salad and tomoatoes with sweet dressing (just simple syrup), craisins, glazed nuts, and mango slices

copy cat Red Lobster biscuits

We used to have ham when I was little. Then when I married my first husband his family never ate "Christmas Dinner". They just did munchie type food all day because they did Christmas dinner w/ his grandmother a few days before. This year we will be having tamales. Dunno if I can get used to that...but at least gonna go in w/a open view.

We usually do a roast and all the fixings, but this year I may be leaning towards the fixins route and just making a bunch of finger foods so we can just grouge ourselves all day long. Not sure yet, still in the deciding stage. I think I will do a big dinner Christmas Eve instead this time.

Christmas eve as a tradition for our family was homemade soup and cheesebread...Soups varied each year,ie cheesy potato, clam chowder, lobster bisque, taco soup, onion soup, white chilie, chicken, minestrone.. but the cheesebread is made with a good sourdough crusty loaf, sliced. Mix butter, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, dash of worchestoshire sauce and dollup of mayo..Spread on cut slices and broil until melted in the oven.

If you're doing ham go to the cheesy hashbrown potato recipe in a previous recipe thread...yummy with fresh asparagas, or fresh green beans with almonds & bacon, fruit salad, candied yams and rolls...Pies for dessert..yeah!