Gift Ideas for 8 Mo. Old

misshayley

I am a new mom of a little boy who will be almost 8 months old for Christmas. I need ideas on what to tell people to get him for Christmas, people are asking and he's got everything he needs so I am at a loss, and if I tell them to donate to his college fund I get strange looks, lol. Anyone have any ideas?

Savings bonds, gift cards for future clothes, diapers, wipes. Mine were inundated with stuff from Grandmoms that had given up hope on grandchildren from dh and I. Wish they would have given us gift cards that we could use throughout the year as we outgrew stuff or needed something. Got way too many clothes, some were never worn when my younger son was born and then we got more...

Even though he's young, a membership to a local aquarium could be really fun. (kids that age usually love the bright colors the tropical tanks offer) Any "big ticket" items that people could all pitch in for, such as a play house, push car, wagon, or a swing set with a baby swing? Even if he's not very mobile now, in a few months he most likely will be, and it'll be nice to have toys on hand he can grow in to. I agree with the above posters about clothes in larger sizes; it's always great to have stuff on hand because it seems like kids grow overnight and suddenly nothing fits them! One of my favorite things for my kids to get is books. I don't think a child can ever have too many books, and I love having our own little library of reading material on hand at all times. Perhaps you could ask people to give him a copy of a favorite book from their childhood? You never know what wonderful classic you might end up with!

Our newest grandbaby will be 2 months old this Christmas. She is due Oct 18. I plan to get her toys to grow into. One 3 months, one 6 month, one 9 months. Nothing huge but toys she can grow into. DD will put themup and pull them out during the year. DD will let me know if she needs anything else, but she has a lot of clothes in various sizes already. I did notice DD looking at pink boots the other day so I may get those. Maybe you can look for toys that he can grow into as well. I would also suggest a wagon if he does not have one.

hmm...for my bff the Xmas after her 1st child was born I bought her bits and pieces off the registry that were still missing (and I knew she wanted). When my GS was born Dec1 (bff had everything form 1st) I got him My pal scout from leapfrog, there is a similar one from another company. It's a dog that they can cuddle with and the parent can program with their name, favorites, least favorites etc. For an 8 month old maybe a walker(they can grow into) or some sorting blocks? I also love the Summer Infant 3 in 1 Superseat as it helps them sit up but also gives them something to do. While it's bulky it was a life saver in hotel at disney and I'm sure could be used for visits to other ppl's home once he outgrows the bouncer.

On a different note, baby won't really appreciate stuff SO maybe gift cards are a good idea and/or babysitting/shopping services.

books are a good idea, as well as the Disney movies. But, what's going to make that baby happiest this Christmas? The boxes and wrapping paper! OMG, you are going to have SO much fun this year! My grandbaby is just 3 weeks old, so he will be 3.5 months old this Christmas. I was thinking about this just today. I think, this year, I will either just get him a little something and then open a savings account for him, or I will follow some of the advice here and give his mommy gift cards.

Do you have a ball popper toy yet? I never met a baby that didn't love it. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002B555QQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002B555RU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XXWTD5V23DZY05TEVG5

Membership to a zoo or children's museum

Diapers

Or just continume to tell them that while it isn't as much fun for the giver, baby really needs college fund contributions.

I would second the baby contribution but only for close friends/immediate family. We only refuse the same for my nephew because I know how his parents waste their money and if my parents already set up a college fund what other account do the kids need. Maybe you could setup a upromise account and ask people to link up? My bff's husband recently mentioned he has one set up for the kids but has yet to email me link to their acct so I can link my CC. It's free to whoever is contributing from what I understand and pays a small amount into account without charging them.