How do you decorate the outside of your house?

alimfp

Lights? Window clings in the front windows? Inflatables? Other yard decor? What??

In previous years we did lights and the snow stuff in the main window. Since the kids and the cats mess up the snow stuff, we'll nix that one this year. ;) So this year will be lights on the house as well as the front deck (will look so nice I think!) and I'm trying to think of some sort of simple yet nice yard decor (no inflatables)..

My yard is divided into themes, we have the santa's and the then the eleves and toy makers, then we have the snow me, then I have the Nativity set well two of them, My are inflatables, lighted and plastic and wood, I light my house and bushes, the projector, this year I added a arch way and a moving santa I may buy some reindeer but no one used to decorate in my area till I moved in and now it has gotten where almost every house does I am thinking of adding music

We have a snowman post we put out at the end of the driveway, cascading clear lights around the house and a "Happy Holidays" with Christmas winter scene by the door and a wreath on the door. Most of the decorating is inside with my Dickens Collection pieces displayed in the livingroom.

hubby,....otherwise known as "scrooge" throws a fit if I use more than 500 count lights outside...he thinks they run up the electric bill too much so I settle on outlining the porch with some icicle ones and wrapping some HUGE boxes in foil paper as if they were gifts...adding some ribbon and stacking them on the front porch bench......simple but it works for me and it looks good during the day too! :holiday09:holiday13

:holiday02

:holiday08

We string lights along the gutters then I have light up candy canes on either side of my walkway, 2 of those spiral light up xmas trees (one on either side of the yard) and then lights strung up in my enclosed porch that can be seen from the outside. Everything is muticolored because I like it to be colorful :)

Old-fashioned colored bulbs on the gutters, lighted decrations on the sides of the house, wreaths on every door, wreaths in each of the eight windows across the front of the house, electric candles in the windows, Christmas star on the arch of the porch, candy canes outlining the yard, candy cane walkways, inflatables, signs, and my son has rigged me some Christmas music to be heard from the street. I am looking for a santa and reindeer(the older ones) and the North Pole sign that WM had last year. They don't have it yet but I am hoping they get it. I should have gotten it last year.lol The kids put lights on the doghouse and you can see it from the driveway, it's cute and suprisingly the dog doesn't mess with them, I think he likes the lights.lol I am slowly adding more things, though. I want a nativity scene for the yard but I don't like the ones I've seen so far, so when I find it, I'll get one.

We have our shrubs alternating red/clear lights (think candy cane). The columns are wrapped in clear lights. We have clear icicles at the peak of the roof. Along the roofline are alternating red/clear lights. There is a lighted "joy" sign in the window (the word is in red with green holly sprig).

I would like to get an inflatable, but haven't yet.

... and wrapping some HUGE boxes in foil paper as if they were gifts...adding some ribbon and stacking them on the front porch bench......simple but it works for me and it looks good during the day too! :holiday09:holiday13

:holiday02

:holiday08

That's such a good idea!! I really needed something to spruce up the porch beside the door, and that would be really inexpensive. Thanks alot!

Well, I put white lights on the shrubs in the front of my house and I have the little candy canes (about 12" high) that I trim the walkway with. I am going to have a little fiberoptic tree in my living room that you will be about to see from the front of the house. I have some other stuff, but don't know if I will be using - new house, never had Christmas here before! Just have to go with the flow.

We just moved into a biger house so i will have to go get more lights,but here is my plan.

We have a big pond out back so my deers are going there,santa on roof my bushes out front are going to lite up with green lights,candy canes up walkway with lights on them,and c-3 lights all over the house,(we found c-3 lights in motion at lowes for 22.97 a pack of 100 thats 51 1/2 feet i want them but hubby said wait till after christmas) next year i plan to do more around the pond.

JanaBanana.... your home looks great.

We put up a white wire tree and white light green topiary deer, wreath on each of the front windows(6) and the front door, a projector that shines different images on the garage, small prelit trees that line the flower bed in front of the porch.

I outline my little yard with white lights and make a big square. It usually snows alot around Christmas time and the lights melt the snow and it looks really neat!! Then I put blue and white lights in my doorway. I also have large candy canes lining the walk way. I have a window light that I put up in dd's room that says "Santa stop here" and is in the shape of a stop sign. Front window and my bedroom window have blue and white lights in the window frame. I'm thinking that if I can find a blowup that I like alot at a good price, I may get one to stick in the center of my yard! LOL I do blue and white with some silver on my tree..the only color is the cutesy ornaments I have! :)

I got rid of my lighted reindeer last year as I was tired of looking at them. Everyone seemed to have the same thing, and I didnt want to look the same as everyone else in the neighborhood. I think this year since I am changing the theme of my interior decor, I am going to focus more on the inside decorating. Will probably just do lighted wreaths outside and I want to get one of those little 4ft lighted trees for next to the front door. Might do a few lighted things outside on a few bushes or something, but Im not climbing up our 30ft oak trees to string them with lights again this year LOL

Nothing but lights, and plenty of them. :holiday07

Icicles around the house, regular strands around trees and bushes. Then two lighted wreaths on the house. :holiday03

We used to set up several deer and a couple of spiral trees, but the front yard at this house is too small for all of that now.