Please tell me when....

carone0318

I am not sure if this has been asked yet, so I can use some help. Please tell me when the kids start to ask "the Santa question." My dd is 9 and is in 4th grade. I am expecting to be asked "the question" real soon, but maybe I am wrong and I still have another year. How do you handle it? I don't want to lie, but I still think that I might want to :( !

Please share your experiences with this unwelcomed situation....

I have never had to address that question. My kids are 17, 13, 12, 9, and 7. As the older ones figured it out, they just didn't say anything. I guess they knew that I wouldn't want to address that issue.lol But, they do tease me about it from time to time in front of the younger ones to keep me on my toes. I have been listening to them lately and I think that I am the only one in the house who feels it necessary to do the "Santa thing" this year. Even the youngest one asked the 17 yr. old, "Is momma gonna do Santa again this year?" I was afraid that Christmas wouldn't be the same to them once they found out. But, I guess not.lol I have always wanted them to believe in Santa for as long as possible because I never did. Even when I was three years old, my mom tells the story every year, she wrote a letter from Santa to me and mailed it to our house from the post office. She showed it to me and read it to me and I told her, "Thanks for the letter but I know it's from you." Glad mine weren't so impossible.lol

My older son found out when he was 8 years old. He came right to me and asked for the truth because he had heard things. He also had started really thinking about it and he said "There is no way one man can fly around the whole world in one night with all that stuff." So I told him the truth. I thought it would be pointless to expect him to believe in the magic at 8 years old... he was thinking too much, LOL. He was a little upset but I explained to him that believing in Santa when you are little is all part of the holiday magic. He admitted he didn't think it would have been half as fun if he didn't believe.

My son, now 11, never really believed in Santa....even when he was little, we got maybe 3 christmas' with him thinking there could be a Santa. My son is highly analytical....he has always had problem believing that one could do what Santa does. My daughter, who's 3, lives and breathes by Santa.....

I think it depends on the environment the child is in. Like what type of school he(she) goes to, what type of kids they hang out w/...and if they have older siblings. I have known kids that at 12 still believe...and some kids my daughters age...she will be 5 in December that don't. We have never made Santa a big deal here...so I don't think it will be a big problem for us.

I think it all depends on the kids and whom they are around. I got questions from my oldest DD 12 when she was 9. I told her that "Santa" is a christmas tradition, someone that was around years ago, but his spirt lives on through mommy's and daddy's all over the world. MY DS 10, found out when he was 9 also. I think around the 3rd or 4th grade.... but I've also told them the day tell me you dont believe anymore..he will stop coming.. so belive in the "spirt of Santa" and not in the man in the red suit

Guest all2tired
My son starting asking last Thanksgiving, he was 8 at the time. As much as I told him there was a Santa, he kept trying to get me to fess up. Then it came time to see Santa and he was acting up so DH told him he couldn't go. My son flipped out, crying all over the place, he HAD to see Santa. This year he's still asking and I'm still telling him there is a Santa. I want to try and get to at least age 10 with him believing but I think this is the last year. Oh well, I'll still have my daughter. Sje hasn't asked yet and she's 7

I have a 10 year old and she will soon be 11 and she still believes I think that she know but she doesn't want to give up the dream of santa. Now, her brother (twin) he know and I told him that santa is a spirt in ones self of giving, sharing and love and if he didn't believe than he didn't get something from santa. Trust me it works!!

My mom never pushed Santa on me so I never really had the real or not real issue. My son on the other hand I have used the whole Santa deal with him. He is 8 now and is tettering between believeing and not believeing. I think he will just come to the conclustion himself that there is no Santa. But if he came out and really debated the issue with me I would have to give in and own up to the myth.

What No Santa here i am 45 and I believe, it's in in the having to grow up and leave child hood behind, I have 4 kids and when the oldest came to me and said mom is there or isnt there I always ask what do you believe. When they asked why Santa wrapped in my paper, I told them that santa sent the elves to get the empty boxes I wrapped so he could fill them and bring them back because he was just to busy to wrap, That worked for a couple of years. Now the two younger ones it is hard to the baby who is 6 he believes and I feel he would deck any child who told him otherwise. The 8 year old I think this may be her last year. Last year I bought a pink game boy advance from Hong Kong because I knew you couldnt buy one here just to keep her guessing. Now the tooth fairy and Easterbunny they are on their own, But santa I still believe

My son, who just turned 11 in September, asked me outright about 2 or 3 years ago. I told him the truth, but not to tell his sister (who is now 6.) He just looked at me with his mouth hanging wide open like I was lying that there was NO SANTA! After that conversation he just walked away and ever since then it is like we never even talked about it! It's like he is in denial! LOL! He even talks about Santa all the time. Example - He asked to write out a list for Santa last week and then a few days later there was something he saw he wanted, but he caught himself and remembered that he'd already made out his List and wasn't sure if Santa would accept add-ons. He was DEAD SERIOUS. He is in such denial and it's both hilarious and so sweet at the same time.

~H~