Christmas Eve Traditions

Tracy72

My family always meet christmas eve early for a nice dinner somewhere. Each year, everyone takes a turn to pick where they want to go, and then we meet at that persons house to exchange gifts. We all go dutch with our families, and its been a nice Christmas Eve for years. Whoever's turn it is to pick the place to eat, always tries to pick a place that has everyone's likes on the menu. Its worked out Great.

Christmas Eve is the day when we celebrate Christmas here, Dec 25th already has that after Christmas feeling... So, we have everything: Xmas supper, gift exchanges (usually at midnight), we try to visit relatives too. Only Santa gifts are open the following morning. (in some houses, Santa comes on Christmas Eve, while the children are doing something else, or visiting relatives and friends)

We celebrate at hubby's parents on Christmas Eve with dinner and presents. Then we come home and the girls open thier "christmas eve" gift, which is always jammies. We leave out milk and cookies for santa and a treat for Rudolph then off to bed the kids go. We do the "Santa" thing and head to bed ourselves!

Guest all2tired

We always went to my brother's house and passed out the gifts to neices and nephews. Santa always showed up to hand out candy canes and to remind all the kids he wouldn't come unless they were in bed fast asleep.

This year, i think we are staying home, so I'll send all the gifts over with my father

It wouldn't be Christmas Eve without my mother in law reminding us that this could very well be her last christmas. She has made this statement every Christmas eve for the last 18 years!

OMGosh this is too funny! DH has an Aunt that has had one foot in the Grave for about 15 yrs already. She keeps telling us how lucky we are that she made it another year but for sure won't be here next year. Each year it's the exact same speech! So now we just nod our heads in agreement and try not to smile!

We have a big open house on Christmas Eve, lots of family and neighbors come over and everyone brings their favorite dish and we have a big buffet style feast. We have games for the kids which they love, and a few for the adults... then the kids karaoke Christmas songs and we have a mass present opening for people you aren't going to see the next day (I buy a ton of small things and monitor the present opening to make sure everyone gets at least 2 things). Then the girls get to open one present (usually PJ's) and they put out milk and cookies and carrots for Santa and his reindeer. Then while we're waiting for them to fall asleep DH and I clean up the house and finally put out the presents... we're dead tired when they wake us up in the morning but its fun.

We don't have any traditions per say, we are military so we move around ALOT and we aren't living close to any family, so it is usually just us. I wish we could be closer to our families during Christmas so we could do the "family traditional things" astleast this year we are back in the States!! Feels better being in the States for Christmas.

My kids know that I do all the Christmas shopping, except for 1 gift. On Christmas Eve they get a gift from their dad. He goes shopping (which he hates) and even wraps it himself . The kids always look forward to that gift. Our oldest is 21 and asked me the other day if dad was still going to get him a Christmas Eve gift.

My kids know that I do all the Christmas shopping, except for 1 gift. On Christmas Eve they get a gift from their dad. He goes shopping (which he hates) and even wraps it himself . The kids always look forward to that gift. Our oldest is 21 and asked me the other day if dad was still going to get him a Christmas Eve gift.

that's great that they have that tradition and memories ;)

Our kids are grown now with kiddos of their own but thru the years we had lots of traditions. One important one to them..was I made a banner about 38" long by 28" wide of quilted Christmas fabric, sewed on a 20" felt tree with 3-4 branches & a base. Then below made 25 pockets big enough to hold a 1" ornament...an advent tree that every day they got to take out an ornament & we pinned it on the tree..I have now made them for my grandbabies..it increases their anticipation and glee.

We let them open 1 gift Christmas eve, left milk, cookies, carrots..my husband would soot up the fireplace in the shape of a boot. Then we woke up early so we could capture on film their faces as they raced to the Santa toys (unwrapped) plus all the other gifts. While our grandchildren are little..5 mos-4 1/2 we adults open our presents Christmas eve so the whole focus is on them Christmas morning. We are great friends with our kids inlaws so we all have Christmas together...not wanting the kids to be shuttled to & fro...lots of nog, munchies Christmas eve then the big traditional dinner Christmas...I love Christmas!! Bless you and yours.

We always go to Christmas Eve mass as a family ..and then when we get home my younger brother and I each get to open 1 present which is always our matching christmas pajamas. I'll be 25 this year and we still do it and I still look forward to it. My parents have even included my boyfriend in it and buy him christmas pajamas too. It wouldnt be christmas without the traditions.

This year will be different from before as we will be at my inlaws over Christmas but we usually play Christmas music and leave out food for Santa and his reindeer and they get to open two presents one is a toy and the other one is new pjs to wear that night. So they look good in nice new pjs for the morning pics.

We typically have a gift exchange with different branches of our family tree, every Saturday of Decemeber, and even a few Sundays. Then on Christmas Eve we go to my MIL's for christmas with her and my husband's family. Then on Christmas Day we will go to my parents in the morning, and then to my Aunt's house in the afternoon. I don't know how this will work when we have children. I guess we'll just have to figure that out when the time comes.

We spend Christmas Eve with my family and open gifts with them and eat pizza, then spend Christmas Day with hubby's family adn open gifts there with Turkey and trimmings. For our presents between all of us, we open on Christmas Eve for the kids that are home and our oldest daughter/grandkids, we do the weekend after new years because they never get home until then. Besides, I get to do a little extra shopping for the grandkids that way :-)