Questions about WM pm'ing and layaway

hjjasnell

I have a few questions in regards to the policies and procedures for Walmart price matching and layaway. This is my first year to put something on layaway, first time ever pricematching, and first Black Friday sale that I have ever went to first thing in the morning. The past couple years I've ventured out later in the day because I didn'thave an interest in any of the hot ticket items that were on sale and bought earlier in the day. So I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to all this.

I've heard people mention about putting items (like the gameboy, computers, etc.) on layaway before BF and then price matching it on BF. How do you do this? Do you put the stuff on layaway now and then ask them to give you your items during the BF early bird sale, take it up to a register and get the good price for it? I don't quite understand it so if anyone could explain it to me that would be so extremely helpful and I would be forever grateful!! I understand the whole pricematching from other store ads. Like if I find a CD player (for example) on sale somewhere else but find the exact same model at Walmart and take that and the ad up to the register they will (or should) honor the sale ad from the other store, I guess I just dont' understand how it pertains to Walmart and their BF ad.

Plus if I don't put things on layaway in advance but do during BF, as long as I have the items, if I don't get up to the layaway counter before 11am will I still get the BF price? Or do I have to get there in time, what if there's too many people...do I start kicking and shoving to get through the line in time. ;) I'm just trying to understand it and get the best strategy. I'm sure in years to come I'll be more apt to get right inthere along with everyone else but it's all a little intimidating for your first time.

Up until this year we havent' had enough money to even think about Christmas much less BF and now we do and we have 2 sons (a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old) so we have some big plans to spoil them rotten this year (unlike the first 2 years of my first sons life and this is my second son's first Christmas!) and some of the things I'd like to get are on that WM list but I'mworried I won't be able to get them. Anyways, any advice and suggestions would be wonderful!! Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice that has been shared in other posts thus far. I've gained a wealth of knowledge just from reading your responses to other people (what an ingenious idea to gather your pricematching items while waiting for the pallets to be unveiled!! Definitely gonna do that one!!)

Heather :banana01:

First of all, let me tell you that I am a manager at a wal-mart in TX, so I am not just telling you what I think. I am telling you what I know.

As far as price matching, yes we will honor the ads from competitors, until the time of their ad expires. So it probably wouldn't be too smart to put something on layaway, and then try to get it out that day to pricematch. During the blitz times, you would be very lucky to get any store to get something out of layaway for you. They are set up to put stuff in only. But if the item you want from another stores ad is not on the Wal-Mart ad, odds are you will find the item in stock that morning. As far as putting something on layaway that morning, don't worry. The prices don't jump at 11:00. A couple of other hints are:

Get there early, the store I am at (a 24 hour supercenter) generally starts to have people show up at about 4:00. Also, if you are there that early, you can get in the front of the area of the item(s) that you really want, because a lot of times the items are spread over a large area. Don't panic. Most of the items have large enough quantities bought for each store to last till about 8-9a.m. So you should have time to get everything you need. That is about it. I wish you luck on getting everything you want. And as always "Thank you for shopping your neighborhood Wal-Mart". :) Sorry, had to do that.

Will

First of all, let me tell you that I am a manager at a wal-mart in TX, so I am not just telling you what I think. I am telling you what I know.

As far as price matching, yes we will honor the ads from competitors, until the time of their ad expires. So it probably wouldn't be too smart to put something on layaway, and then try to get it out that day to pricematch. During the blitz times, you would be very lucky to get any store to get something out of layaway for you. They are set up to put stuff in only. But if the item you want from another stores ad is not on the Wal-Mart ad, odds are you will find the item in stock that morning. As far as putting something on layaway that morning, don't worry. The prices don't jump at 11:00. A couple of other hints are:

Get there early, the store I am at (a 24 hour supercenter) generally starts to have people show up at about 4:00. Also, if you are there that early, you can get in the front of the area of the item(s) that you really want, because a lot of times the items are spread over a large area. Don't panic. Most of the items have large enough quantities bought for each store to last till about 8-9a.m. So you should have time to get everything you need. That is about it. I wish you luck on getting everything you want. And as always "Thank you for shopping your neighborhood Wal-Mart". :) Sorry, had to do that.

Will

Will, thank you so much for clearing that up for me, too. I am a regular, usually at least 4-5 times a week, at WalMart here in Paris, Tx. The question I have is, in year's past I have found that the more "in-demand" an item is, the fewer our store gets. Example: year before last, the GameCubes, our store only got 13 of those and about 10 of the digital cameras that year. I am hoping to get two digital cameras and a laptop and I just don't see it happening. Why do some WMs use tickets for those things and others don't? Thank you for all of your help.:g_clap:

Will,

can you please address this question for me? I am wondering if I can go put an item on layaway within the 30 day period prior to BF then price match it down to the sale price on BF. For instance, I go in and put in item x the week prior to BF. On BF, the ad states that item x is 100.00 cheaper during the "Blitz" hours. I go to layaway and ask for them to mark it down to sale price as I would with any other layaway item that went on sale during the 30 days proceeding me putting it into layaway.

Thank you,

cami Reardon

I am not a Walmart employee but a seasoned laywayer got to save that buck person, I put everything I want on layaway, then I go and get my prices reduced week by week with all the sale ads. One year a 425.00 layaway cost me 125.00 to get out. I went to look for BF items in mine because they will honor the BF prices on things in layaway but the items I wanted were not in stock.

To the manager of a Walmart.....How do you think you guys will handle the jeep for kids that will be on sale for $79? Its a huge box and I know I won't be able to lift it on a cart and still shop! Im trying to figure out how to buy that by myself and still get other deals on BF!

I am wondering if I can go put an item on layaway within the 30 day period prior to BF then price match it down to the sale price on BF. For instance, I go in and put in item x the week prior to BF. On BF, the ad states that item x is 100.00 cheaper during the "Blitz" hours. I go to layaway and ask for them to mark it down to sale price as I would with any other layaway item that went on sale during the 30 days proceeding me putting it into layaway.

So if I put things on layaway say this weekend, including some of the things that will be on sale during the Black Friday blitz hours (if I can find the exact same item in stock right now), I can go back in during those hours and show them my layaway receipt and the ad and ask them to reduce the price of my items, and still keep them in layaway until I can pull them out (or the time is required that I pull them out, in like MidDecember I believe our store said). And if I get in line to have them pm yet I don't get up to the counter before 11 will they still pm for me or not? And for them to price match something you have on layaway it has to have been put on layaway within 30 days of the ad you're trying to pm, right? Does this sound like I'm getting it?

I appreciate everyone giving me some tips and hints on how to go about this. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

... And as always "Thank you for shopping your neighborhood Wal-Mart". :) Sorry, had to do that.

Will

:gd_detect

Wow...I think you'll be inundated with questions now...this site frenzies at times on Walmart.:cheesy: I love Walmart...I'm one of the early birds on line...usually one of the first 20 to rush through the doors on BF.:banana01: My question is, will I be limited to just one laptop on black friday? As a manager, I'm wondering if you have an inside track on how they'll be handling the distribution of the laptops on that day. My strategy is to have one person on the layaway line and two of us shop, but we need 4 laptops. Will they tell me I can only get one, even if I let them know I have people with me throughout the store shopping?

Even better question for the manager who probably regrets reveiling that he is a manager...

Let's say, instead of putting items on layaway you purchase them outright a couple of days before bf. Then you take your items and the receipt back in on bf. Can you return your items for a bf price match?

I'm not a walmart manager but lets just say I know the answers to your questions.

Why do some WMs use tickets for those things and others don't?

Management usually has final say and they setup what is best for their store.

I was told at our walmart that we where not able to layaway and bf products. Is this policy or are they just making this up?

On BF, sure you can but the prices will most likely go up, well a lot of the items do not change. If I was you, I would avoid layaway, that place will be a mess. Hide the gifts at a friends place instead.

I am wondering if I can go put an item on layaway within the 30 day period prior to BF then price match it down to the sale price on BF. For instance, I go in and put in item x the week prior to BF. On BF, the ad states that item x is 100.00 cheaper during the "Blitz" hours. I go to layaway and ask for them to mark it down to sale price as I would with any other layaway item that went on sale during the 30 days proceeding me putting it into layaway.

Sure you could but layaway on that day is setup for putting items on layaway. Most of the items on BF are one time buys with unique UPC's and not a normally stocked item even though it may appear to be currently on the shelves.

To the manager of a Walmart.....How do you think you guys will handle the jeep for kids that will be on sale for $79? Its a huge box and I know I won't be able to lift it on a cart and still shop! Im trying to figure out how to buy that by myself and still get other deals on BF!

They will probably be on pallets. Bring a friend and have them push a cart. They cannot hold an item for you while you shop. Its a free for all!

So if I put things on layaway say this weekend, including some of the things that will be on sale during the Black Friday blitz hours (if I can find the exact same item in stock right now), I can go back in during those hours and show them my layaway receipt and the ad and ask them to reduce the price of my items, and still keep them in layaway until I can pull them out (or the time is required that I pull them out, in like MidDecember I believe our store said). And if I get in line to have them pm yet I don't get up to the counter before 11 will they still pm for me or not? And for them to price match something you have on layaway it has to have been put on layaway within 30 days of the ad you're trying to pm, right? Does this sound like I'm getting it?

Read above a little. Layaway will be crazy and they won't want to be doing pricematches really. Each store may vary on this actually some. A manager might tell you that you would have to have them out of layaway by the time the ad expired at 11am or they might say to just go ahead and do it.

My question is, will I be limited to just one laptop on black friday? As a manager, I'm wondering if you have an inside track on how they'll be handling the distribution of the laptops on that day. My strategy is to have one person on the layaway line and two of us shop, but we need 4 laptops. Will they tell me I can only get one, even if I let them know I have people with me throughout the store shopping?

It will probably be 1 laptop per person but it really depends on how many walmart gets at each store. This is the fairest way. Distribution will vary from store to store. Might be a ticket system or just a free for all.

Even better question for the manager who probably regrets reveiling that he is a manager...

Let's say, instead of putting items on layaway you purchase them outright a couple of days before bf. Then you take your items and the receipt back in on bf. Can you return your items for a bf price match?

Sure you can but most of the items will have unique upc's and are not available on store shelves.

I can only tell you what my local WalMart told me. My Mother in law has the Spongebob tv and dvd player on layaway, they told me as long as she picks the whole layaway up that day within the early bird hours, it will automatically come up as the sale price.

I can only tell you what my local WalMart told me. My Mother in law has the Spongebob tv and dvd player on layaway, they told me as long as she picks the whole layaway up that day within the early bird hours, it will automatically come up as the sale price.

She will probably have to remind them that it is cheaper. The transaction already happened at full price and layaway just has it for you to pay off that full price.

She will probably have to remind them that it is cheaper. The transaction already happened at full price and layaway just has it for you to pay off that full price.

This is not necessarily true. I have put items in layaway before and got them out at a later time. To my surprise the items went on clearance and I the prices were automatically reduced to the clearance price and I got an extra 20.00 off the original price.

I'm curious about the laptops as well. I've never dared go to WM on BF, my sister and I head out at 5:30 am each year but never brave WM. This year that laptop is enough to make me go.

Do they normally have that kind of stuff back in electronics or in the main isles somewhere toward the front of the store?

TIA!

To the one who asked about the jeep - both walmarts I have been to on Bf give you tickets. One of the stores, the superwalmart, had the tvs and stuff stacked (being guarded by store employees) by the front, so once you paid with your ticket, you went over there, and they helped you. The other Walmart, had the stuff in trailers around back, so you paid, then pulled around the side, where they looked at your ticket, guided you to the correct trailer, then loaded it for you.

Do they normally have that kind of stuff back in electronics or in the main isles somewhere toward the front of the store?

TIA!

The stuff is usually in the action alley's (main isle's) around the store. Just because it is an electronic item doesn't mean it will be anywhere close to electronics. Each store will be different.

Hi all, this is my first post here...and seeing how wldtx was inundated with questions about BF at Walmart, I will tell you that I am the department manager for the Walmart in my town!:insane:

I can't answer many questions about layaway but my store always uses a ticket system for the tv's and computers. We have a certain number of those items already in the layaway bins and have an associate handing out tickets for them. So the customer gets in the layaway line with just the ticket in hand and when the transaction is done the layaway label is put on the item.

As for the laptops...as of today (Thursday) I have not found out how many my store is getting but I am going to insist with my management that I have them in my department so we can have better control over them. It will be so crazy that morning that certainly someone will try to steal one.:curse:

Don't know how many other stores will feel that way, but if I was a customer that morning I would check the electronics department first for those.

The prices on the Blitz items usually stay the same even after 11:00. At least with electronics. Maybe a week or two later they might change, but even that is rare.

Just thought I'd add a little of what I knew. Be gentle with me! :D Kristie

Last year the Game boy advances and the Portable DVD players were in Sporting goods behind the counter, you had to wait in line and it was 2 to a customer, and you paid for it there. It was great that way, I stood in line and my partners in crime went and got everything else. I also helped people purchase more then they could as I didnt need any Game boy advances so I bought them for the lady behind me and my daughter bought one for any another person, I know what its like when they limited and I have four kids and they all want the same thing, I really hope they use that system again

I think usually they require 10% down. I put the Hummer 12v on layaway for my boys yesterday, and it was only 10% down. Layaway is the best hiding place for Santa gifts. But you have to have it out by Dec 16. But then I only have a few days to worry about them finding it. lol

I just thought of something...I was planning on trying to price match a couple of items at Walmart...but now I am wondering if that will be possible. I know the rule is usually that it has to be during the same time...and w/ them opening 1-2 hours before the others...is this going to be a problem?

I am wondering about price matching, I didn't figure walmart would price match the special sales. I have terrible time tying to get walmart to price match things, I figured that this was a "gimmick sale" which they won't match. So some of you have taken ads for other blitz sales and price matched them? Do you have good luck finding the same things that other stores have listed? I will defiently do that this year if it is so.

The walmart I go to has pallets of the items sitting all over the store, but its impossible to know what you are standing by they are covered in brown paper and plastic till the sale starts. So you can't even scan the store and stand by what you want the most.

They are pretty good about having enough stuff to go around ,but there isalways one item that they seem to have 5 of them, I bet the gameboy sp is one of those items this year.

I didn't even notice that the sale starts at 5:00 this year my goodness. our store is 30 min away that is going to be short night.