GIFTS FOR THE UNPLEASEABLE

SuperMommy

Ok, I know we all have that one person that is just impossible to buy for. Either you don't know what in the world they would like, or they seem to turn up their nose at every present they ever get. I thought this could be a great thread for everyone that is having a hard time trying to find a gift to get a particular someone.

So, here's my dilema. My stepmother is impossible to please. She always turns her nose up at every gift she ever receives. I've tryed Bath and Body Works, jewlrey, I even got her one of those velour outfits (that she picked out herself) last year and she's only wore it once. And I don't want to get her a gift card b/c she's one of those people that no matter how much you spend on her it's never enough. I could really use some ideas.

How about a certificate to a spa or hair salon. Get a small basket, fill it with items for her (bath beads, lotions, and other nice pampering items) and put the certificate in there. I would love a day to get pampered. That way she can get her hair done, massage, and nails.

lump of coal?? j/k

HEY!! I like that idea!!!:evil:

Thanks for the ideas so far. They sound really great and I might have a couple of other people I could do that for!! But, she's just not the type to get her nails done or anything like that. She always wants to act girly but when it comes to nails and hair and lotions she just doesn't get that into it. And they symphony, play idea is a great one to except she's not very cultured.

i myself would find a good sale with gold jewelry stores always have a 99 dollar item of the month or something.get her a pair of earrings or necklace.that way gold fits everybody and you're not spending a whole lot plus it did come from a jewelry store

Ok, I know we all have that one person that is just impossible to buy for. Either you don't know what in the world they would like, or they seem to turn up their nose at every present they ever get. I thought this could be a great thread for everyone that is having a hard time trying to find a gift to get a particular someone.

So, here's my dilema. My stepmother is impossible to please. She always turns her nose up at every gift she ever receives. I've tryed Bath and Body Works, jewlrey, I even got her one of those velour outfits (that she picked out herself) last year and she's only wore it once. And I don't want to get her a gift card b/c she's one of those people that no matter how much you spend on her it's never enough. I could really use some ideas.

You seem to care about her enough to want to find her something nice, even though she turns her nose up. I think that's very sweet of you. But if I were in your shoes, I'd get her a card and small gift card to a store you KNOW she frequents. Like the grocery store or Target (hey... everyone goes to Target... sometimes. :tongue1: ).

Don't stress yourself out trying to figure out anything for her. Let her turn up her nose at that grocery store gift certificate, as that's what she'll be getting for years to come. :giggle: I'm not even grumpy today. :trampolin

Try an an american express gift card she can use it whereever they accept amex or find out what type of toiletries she uses and get fancy things that she might actually use(lavender soap, shampoo etc etc)this way she would actually use them b.c you know she bathes.

Well, I know what you mean. My sister is hard to please. When asked what she wants, it's always something that we can't afford. Like a big screen tv, or a new computer. Those are the only things she wants and we have kids to buy for and the rest of the family. It kind of puts us in a bad situation.

Where does she go most often to shop? Does she belong to a club or have some hobbies? I'd say get something from a place she likes to shop. I know my in-laws..or should I say out-laws..had something smart every year of what I bought them for christmas. I was never accepted by my husbands family after 20 years, so I gave up. My last presents to them...was a Bible with their Name on it. Never heard another word.

The holidays can be very stressful as it is. I gave up on trying to find the perfect gift for everyone. I try my best but I've learned you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. I don't stress about it any more-the difficult people get gift cards and I don't feel one ounce of guilt about not finding them the perfect gift.:grandpa:

I would just right out ask her to give you a WISH LIST of things she would like to have for you to get for her. Then if she complains it's her own fault. That is what I do to my mother who is impossible to buy for. She does like the Olive Garden g/c I get her each year but I get that and another present also.

Guest all2tired

I like the spa idea, that was my first thought until I saw it posted by somebody else. So now I have to think of something else LOL

How about getting pictures of her and the family from as far into the past until present and have it made into a video or dvd with music (the kind she likes if you know it) I can pretty much garuantee that she'll get teary eyed maybe not in front of you but she will and she'll watch it all the time just remembering her past. just a thought

How about enrolling her in a Gift of the Month club? If you google that you will get plenty of options online. Anything from cookies to chocolate to magazines and so on.

Then she's getting something now and throughout the year - maybe that would finally impress her? :eyepoppin

Good luck!

You seem to care about her enough to want to find her something nice, even though she turns her nose up. I think that's very sweet of you. But if I were in your shoes, I'd get her a card and small gift card to a store you KNOW she frequents. Like the grocery store or Target (hey... everyone goes to Target... sometimes. :tongue1: ).

Don't stress yourself out trying to figure out anything for her. Let her turn up her nose at that grocery store gift certificate, as that's what she'll be getting for years to come. :giggle: I'm not even grumpy today. :trampolin

I have to agree. If she doesn't even like the stuff that she picks out, she isn't going to be pleased with anything. So, go with a gift card and don't stress. Holidays are too stressfull without it being made more so by someone who doesn't appreciate the thought and care that you put into picking out a special gift for them. Or make a donation to a worthy cause in their name. Atleast that way you will know that it is appreciated by someone. :D

Guest all2tired

The picture idea is great me and my mother did that for members of my family last year. We went to Things Remembered and got photo albums engraved and put old and new family photos. Everyone seemed to like it a lot.

I did the video for my father's birthday. My mother had just passed away and he was so lost. So i got pictures of both of them as children, going into their dating, wedding, etc. I left out all of us kids though. The songs were all songs that my mother loved and I had to have their song which was "Through the Years" in it. Then towards the end, I had In the arms of the angels or whatever it's called. And the very last picture was of my mother by herself with her birth and death dates. My father cried his heart out and I felt so bad, but he watched it over and over again until i though the tape would break. Then he was able to smile at teh memories he had with her. He later told me it was the best gift anybody ever gave him.

If you want to give a gift card, your best bet is the discover gift card as there is no fee. (Amex and mastercard charge hefty fees for their gift cards) They even ship the card free. Find out more here: www2.discovercard.com/shopcenter/giftcard.shtml (no link as the forum isn't letting me include one...)

Thanks for all the great ideas!! You all have given me alot to think about. Maybe one of them will work. And like some of you said if she still doesn't like it then she'll just have to get over it. After all, it's the thought that counts right? :gd_devild

I like teh picture Idea--but my mother in law feels that those aren't really presents and I should just be sending them anyway. She's something else :mad: (She still hasn't called DS for his birthday and it's been 2 weeks, but she called my husband today at work to give him hell for not calling her today because it's her birthday--I sent a card and and email!!) Anyway-- this year I saw moon property LOL I'm going to get her a moon acre. I think its cool, I don't care if she hates it--it will be cheap to mail to her.