Anyone in retail try to get off on BF?

vertigo

I'm working at Staples this year and I'm gonna really try and get off for BF this year. I'd hate to miss all the hot deals. I don't know how hard it will be to get off though. So do any of you retail people try and get off on BF?

:goldfish:

Only once in all my years of retail was I off on Black Friday and that's the day DS was born! On his first birthday, I tried to get off (or at least work opening so I could spend some of the day with him) and I ended up working 11:00-9:00. Supposedly that was the best they could do! And that was Black Saturday. It was not a pretty day in the Small Appliance Department that day! :flame:

Thank heavens I am out of that line of work now. .... I could NEVER give up my BF fix!

I wish you luck :crossfing but I don't think you'll get very far. Maybe ask if you can close that day???

Any retail employees ever able to get any of the BF deals?

If you're referring to buying the items ahead of time, it probably depends on the store. I wouldn't think they'd allow the employees to get the really limited times as it wouldn't be good for the doors to open and for nothing to be left.

I used to work in retail management for two different companies and it was definitely required that everyone worked all weekend. You could request a day off but realizing that you may or may not get it. It was fun though too--one company I worked for bought food for everyone for the weekend because they knew we would be to busy to go out and try to battle for food. Kindof an employee appreciation thing I guess. I've been on both sides of the counter on black friday and I think it's fun either way.

Amy

when i worked at jc penny's no one could get off everyone worked,, but we had to get there at like 5-5.30 so we would get what we wanted and put it in the stockroom. and after we got off we could get a price over ride to the sale price.. so we would at least get what we wanted from that store..

I work in retail and always work black friday but I do the closing shift. My husband used to go hunting that morning so I would have to be home with the kids. The company would put all the experieced and good cashiers on in the morning and have the newer less experienced ones at night but needed a strong cashier to oversee them. I'm that strong cashier. My husband doesn't go hunting that morning anymore so I get to do my shopping with MIL and then head of to work. Makes for a long tiring day but I have fun doing it.