If you bought a ps3 is it backwards compatible?

My best friend is looking into buying a ps3 and my husband told me that she needs to check to see if it's backwards compatible. I just assumed they all were but boy was I surprised. Why in the world would Sony create a ps3 that won't play ps2 games?!

Are ANY of the new ones backwards compatible?

The new ones are not backwards compatible. The ones that are can cost upwards of $600+ for a brand new one and about $300-$400 used.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=ps3+backwards+compatible&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I think they are not backwards compatible because it would cost Sony too much to make them that way. I know when they first came out there were reports that they were actually losing money on them.

The one we have is an older version so it's backwards compatible and has 4 ports. Hard to believe that they were losing money on them when we spent $500 on it back then! Someone said the new ones only have 2 ports.......how do you play guitar hero etc if there are 4 of you and only 2 ports?

We bought the very first version of PS3 with a small hardrive and ITS backwards compatible..but only that version. We have a newer one too. Honestly PS2 games hardly EVER get played...DS6 discovered recently you can pick up Ps2 games for CHEAPER though and has been buying them LMAO he's the only frugal one in the entire family for generations! :P

I never understood why Sony didn't make them all BC....but then again I can not understand why our Wii don't play DVD or the Xbox360 don't play bluray (we bought a 2nd Ps3 because it plays bluray..!!) and I would have bought a 2nd wii if it played DVD! (just cause I want a red one :P)

We bought about 3 years ago now. My husband bought a 80 GB in late 2007. I did my research and promptly returned it for a 60 GB which was BC via HARDWARE, at the time the 80 GB was also suppose to be BC but via a software solution. Since we bought the thing to play Sly Fox Thievious Racoon Games (PS2 only) I thought hardware compatibiltiy was important. Didn't play it a for much else for a year or so (we also bought a Wii and my son was only 7 when we bought both systems.). Now we play it a lot more. Because the kids are older, the PS3 games are more affordable, and there are many more kid-friendly titles to chose from.

Side notes:

1) I love the PS3. I am an adult nongamer, but it plays DVD's so beautifully and there are more and more E and E10+ games coming out all the time (all the lego games are available pretty cheap for the PS3 as well as titles like madagascer, the new toy story and the Ratchet and Clank's (which is I'd say for 7+.) And It streams netflix so well! Only my Macs do it better but I prefer to view on the TV. I own an apple TV, a Wii, and 3 Home computers, as well as the PS3/

2) PS3 game disks are mostly indestructible. The are blue ray and so don't get trashed like the wii disks which cost the same or often more these days. If you've ever spent close to $50 on a Wii game and had to toss it after a couple days having done every thing you could to save it (including the disk buffing machines)'; it is painful.

2)We have since bought a GAme Cube (predecessor to the Wii) just so we could play game cube games. Even though the Wii is suppose to be BC. The minidiscs were getting stuck in the Wii drive and wouldn't eject and also just played better on the Gamecube. We picked it up for $20 at gamestop about 6 months ago and it included one controller.

3.) If I were in your situation I might fork over the bucks for a PS3, it is a quality machine and if ours died today, I'd buy a new one tomorrow. That said I would look for a 60GB PS3 first (at a good price like max $150 maybe $200.) They were the last ones to be TRULY backward compatible . Not finding one at a reasonable price, I would buy the new PS3 and then look for a used PS2 to play the old games on. Paying less than a hundred, maybe even $75. There are some amazing PS2 classics like SLY RACCON -----fantastic for young kids. Can't recommend it enough.

In conclusion, our 3 year old PS3 is still a powerful machine, even today. Sony builds things to last and our 60 GB seems no less (and perhaps even more) than the PS3's being sold today.

Last two notes.

1) CON:It sucks down the juice. Some times I think I could warm myself standing next to it.

2) What the heck are these massive hard drives for? You probably won"t use it anyway so who cares how big it is? We've never used it for anything more than saving game data.

May your holidays be merry!

Brainfreeze

My 80 GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundled PS3 is backwards compatible. As for the huge hard drives, I have 6 GB remaining. If you import and/or buy a lot of Guitar Hero and Rock Band songs then that space disappears quick. Ordered one of the Black Friday 1 TB external hard drives from OfficeMax to add to it.