Small Business Saturday

Gator Pam

Yes, the Small Business Saturday concept is being hyped by American Express, but I think it is a lovely idea anyway. In between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, try to make the effort to support local businesses in your community today. And everyday.

I will be frequenting Ward's Supermarket for the best locally produced food products today, and will hit the farmer's market as well. What local businesses will you be supporting today?

We went to a locally owned butcher shop and purchased a TON of meat and then we went to a local party store (not a chain one like Party City). We also bought something at the Christian bookstore. I did go to a few big stores, too, but we made sure to shop at least some local stores. I like this idea!

We went to several stores today and spent over the $25 dollars that American express will be rebating us. Actually had a difficult time finding very many non-chain stores to shop in. But it was a great adventure driving around and looking for places to shop.

How do you know which stores are participating in the $25 program?

We had registered, but we nearly forgot to go out and do the shopping! It was hard to find an open non-chain store at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday night, but we finally found a little toy and hobby store, and let the kids shop for Christmas gifts for their cousins.

It's probably good I didn't forget entirely; my brother is the American Express rep responsible for making this happen in Salt Lake, so if nothing else, I wanted to go out and do it to support him!

Ooo, and this just posted on the Small Business Saturday Facebook page...

This just in! To support small business this holiday season, American Express is extending the offer to give $25 back to Cardmembers who register & use their card at a small business ANY day through 12/31. Register now! All small businesses that accept Amex are automatically enrolled. For everyone else, whatever the form of payment, shop small!

So if you are an AMEX member, they are extending the offer through the end of the year.

I haven't read the details since I am not a member, so I don't know if it is a one time refund of $25 or what. But still, what a terrific way to stimulate local economic spending.