You know what I HATE about all of this?

EliteABombAZ

I hate that "Black Friday" has gone mainstream. I remember when ONLY the most hardcore Black Friday shoppers knew what "Black Friday" was. I hate the fact that now retailers actually use the words "Black Friday" in advertising to the public. I hate when you see retailers putting on "Better than Black Friday" or "Black Friday NOW" sales ads at random times of year. I hate the fact than instead of a few sites getting Black Friday ads early and posting them, there are now hundreds of Gottadeal clones out there racing to be first... thus making BF even more mainstream and transforming it from getting good deals the early morning after Thanksgiving... to eating your Thanksgiving dinner in line in front of Walmart or Best Buy to make sure you get your items.

I miss the old days.

R.I.P. Black Friday as we knew you. You will be missed.

I was just wondering today.....when did it go from the "After Thanksgiving Day Sales" to "Black Friday frenzy"? I remember going to town like around 6am to go shopping for deals back in the late 80's. It was fun, and never a stampede from what I recall. has my memory dimmed with age or has all this hype changed things over the past 20 or so years?:rolleyes:

I miss the old days when there were basically 2 BF sites instead of 2,000.

But sites like ours probably contributed to BF going mainstream. All those news stories we had back starting in 2005 caused people to become more aware of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the importance of BF goes away as stores focus on the whole 2 month period before Christmas. But luckily GD was around before the BF explosion and we will be around for whatever comes next.

I guess it's like everything else - it's just been so commercialized that it's unrecognizable anymore. We go from July 4 to Halloween To Christmas - what's that? The stores are so focused on pushing Christmas down your throat to boost sales we'll start seeing trees along with the back to school stuff pretty soon. And it's not because the are promoting the holiday cheer, they are trying to rip every last dollar from your wallet. It's really sad. I used to love being out in the decorated malls however now it's just dodging all the sales people it's just no fun.

I agree - Bring back real holiday shopping! We want our Black Friday back!!

I was recently thinking about all these "Pre Black Friday" sales. That really takes the fun out of the Black Friday shopping. Plus it confuses the buyers... For me it just brings on more frustration since I don't have time to shop before Black Friday! LOL Im too busy cooking, cleaning and prepping for Thanksgiving Day!

I agree... I can remember when I use to go shopping to K-mart on Thanksgiving in the morning, some thought that was terrible of me, after all, that was a holiday. Now they are busting down doors even on that "holiday"... I remember doing it for the toys they would have for my son & oldest daughter just after my youngest was born.. my youngest is now 18.

I remember being one of a handful of people at opening now its a little ridiculous plus the sales aren't as great as they were. I also remember the time my mom worried because some psycho was pissed we took "their" space now there's so much more to think about. (That pscho was 2 lanes away when we took the space.)

..... we'll start seeing trees along with the back to school stuff pretty soon. And it's not because the are promoting the holiday cheer, they are trying to rip every last dollar from your wallet. It's really sad.

This year Hobby Lobby had Christmas out the first week of June, right after school was out for the year.

There is NO Thanksgiving season. They race from Halloween (which used to be just for kids and has now become an adult thing) straight into Christmas. Forget being thankful, let's grab that almighty dollar.

I miss the special treatment we customers got on BF-like the stores were sooo happy to see ANYbody at their store before 6 a.m.!

I remember getting coffee,hot chocolate,donuts,muffins and special gift bags that had coupons and samples in them.

What I DON'T miss about the old BF is the standing outside for hours in the cold,dark,wind and it always rained or snowed that day.

Now,so many more stores are open 24 hrs. and that is so much more comfortable for shopping.

A lot of the "specialness" of Black Friday isn't there as much anymore,but I figure it just makes my "war stories of BF Past" that much more interesting :tongue1:

This year Hobby Lobby had Christmas out the first week of June, right after school was out for the year.

There is NO Thanksgiving season. They race from Halloween (which used to be just for kids and has now become an adult thing) straight into Christmas. Forget being thankful, let's grab that almighty dollar.

I think the craft stores put out Christmas things so early so that the crafters can get all their supplies and items made before the Holiday Bazaar season.

Around here,that starts in September!

i miss the deals. nowadays since its so mainstream, retailers just release mediocre deals since they have customers lining up ready to spend. they wont trick me this yr the deals are pathetic. the biggest thing to take a hit this yr has been tv's. nobody has a good deal. amazon, at least for videogames so far, is only willing to match certain deals , not release any deals themselves. all in all people have money but stores want more of it in their pockets. disappointing.

I remember one year as a child going shopping with my mom on black friday it was unreal how crowded the stores where, I mean pushing and shoving, and being a child butt to face closeness. I remember all my aunts looking thru the sales ads on thanksgiving day to see what they wanted and where to go. I am 40 years old now, black friday was always there, well atleast in my family.

To me the only thing new is early sales stores are using black friday in advertising for those sales.

It has gotten more popular but there were lots of crowds and stampedes. Don't any of you remember the Cabbage Patch Doll fiasco? That's all I wanted for Christmas that year. I didn't get one. Grown women were beating the crap out of each other for those things. Then there was the whole Tickle Me Elmo trouble!

I used to work every black Friday in retail in the 90's and always said bf shoppers were loony... Lol now I am one.

It's the Internet age. It has allowed so many things to go mainstream because the information is accessible. It has changed how we elect presidents for goodness sake!

Think of BF before leaked ad scans on the Internet... Not as fun, imo!

It's the actual retailers who have ruined BF for me.

Having sales starting at 12.01 am on Friday finally did it for me. Seeing the stores move their opening times back and back to where the yare this year is a joke.

I remember saying to my wife a few years back that it would not be long before the sales started at 1am. I'm pretty sure that there will be plenty of stuff left for the shoppers who show up after 7am.

I just hate that the stores are opening up earlier and earlier. I think that is taking away from the family time, not only for the people who shop, but especially for those who have to work! I feel bad for them because how can you enjoy the time with the family when you know you have to be at work by 10:00 pm for the midnight sales.

The shoppers have some responsibility in that. THey are calling managers and trying to find out how many of some things will be in store and going nuts trying to save a few dollars . Leave those people alone until Friday , most of them don't know anymore than we do. My nearest walmart isn't allowing any employees anywhere near the black wrapped pallets . It gives the shoppers a bad name when they are calling the store and harrassing the managers and sales associates wanting info.

I so agree... it really is like what happened to thanksgiving... but as long as we all go and shop and midnight they will open at midnight.

YA, totally. It's the lines that wrap around the building twice at 4 a.m. that drive retailers to open earlier and earlier. Doesn't really bother me. If I do any shopping at all on Friday, it's around 7 or 8 a.m. after a refreshing nights sleep. If having people shopping at midnight helps alleviate the morning crowds, that's fine with me. (As long as the store is able to replenish some stock for us "sleeper-iners" LOL!!)

As far as cashiers, it is a bit sad. However, I would bet that there are many who would welcome the hours to earn some coin. Wouldn't you suppose that would be worthy of an overtime or "extra" bonus pay???

I hate that "Black Friday" has gone mainstream. I remember when ONLY the most hardcore Black Friday shoppers knew what "Black Friday" was. I hate the fact that now retailers actually use the words "Black Friday" in advertising to the public. I hate when you see retailers putting on "Better than Black Friday" or "Black Friday NOW" sales ads at random times of year. I hate the fact than instead of a few sites getting Black Friday ads early and posting them, there are now hundreds of Gottadeal clones out there racing to be first... thus making BF even more mainstream and transforming it from getting good deals the early morning after Thanksgiving... to eating your Thanksgiving dinner in line in front of Walmart or Best Buy to make sure you get your items.

I miss the old days.

R.I.P. Black Friday as we knew you. You will be missed.

I find it ironic that someone using the Apple app store icon as their avatar is complaining about ANYTHING going "mainstream". LOL

When exactly was that time when you remember that "only the most hardcore" knew Black Friday as Black Friday?

I find it ironic that someone using the Apple app store icon as their avatar is complaining about ANYTHING going "mainstream". LOL

When exactly was that time when you remember that "only the most hardcore" knew Black Friday as Black Friday?

Sears used to give out snow globes to the first 100 people in line...

Sears used to give out snow globes to the first 100 people in line...

Target Gives out resuable bags, Sports Authority gift cards ranging from $10 to $300 (my brother was next to the lady that got the $300 last year) to the first 100 or so, and JCPenny gives out snow globes more than 100 actually I think.

I would love some coffee and food though!

I have to agree. I started going out on Black Friday with my mom back in late 90s. I was still in elementary/middle school and we'd be one of the first people out there. No one ever camped out.

We'd go to JC Penney and get the snow globe (when they started their yearly tradition), Mervyn's for their figure and/or gift card, Sears for a gift card, and a few other stops. THEN we went back to JC Penney and did actual shopping and the other stores when we got all the freebies. So many stores had the "be in the first 100 and get this" and you could hit up every single one of them and be in that first group. You also made friends with the people in line because there were only about 10-15 of you at only one entrance :yup: None of the multiple lines, some doors open faster than others, trampling people to death sort of shenanigans.

Now, we have to strategically plan where/when we're going. Split up the stores, split up the products, go your separate ways and run to find everything you need. Someone gets in line before we actually "finish" shopping so we have to only wait for an hour to check out rather than two.

But I guess that's part of the experience. I miss Circuit City because it alleviated some crowding at Best Buy.