Is anyone else just not excited about Christmas this year?

ilikefree

In my opinion, the ads aren't that exciting. I figured that with the economy being what it is, there would be a lot more and better deals than what there actually are. That coupled with the fact that money is very tight this year is making me feel like a Scrooge this year. I normally love Christmas and buying gifts for everyone, but this year is just so different.

sign me up!!! that is why i got a secret santa person this year.not that i have money to keep buying but i love to give when i can and this way i will be surprised when i get a surprise package in the mail.i am always like this pretty much.this year me and the kids pooled money and bought a flat screen for the living room.that is our christmas but we will all get each other something.just not as big a deal like years in the past.

i also make myself get out on black friday i usually buy some of the $3 appliances anyway but i go out to people watch and then i go and treat myself to a nice coffee and donut.

i love to give more than receive but then obstanant sibling is always wanting more and more and whatever i give isnt good enough.i go out to be in the excitement go for a coffee pamper mysewlf that day cook something really good

Edited by dealluvr
add

I haven't fully analyzed the ads but there's definitely something missing for me this holiday season. It could be any number of things though.....I just hope I can get myself in gear this weekend or at the very latest next week. I was hoping to talk my mother into brunch at denny's after BF but who knows I'll probably be so tired that I won't be up for it.

I'm not much excited yet either. I guess for me the weather hasn't been really "winter-y". I live in Wisconsin and it's been cold, but not even winter jacket wearing cold. It doesn't even feel like it's almost Thanksgiving. I started working on some Christmas crafts last weekend, and it's hard to imagine the tree will be up next week!

What you need to remember is that Christmas isn't really about buying tons of gifts. Don't allow the media and retailers try to convince you it's about giving expensive gifts and spending money. Appreciate what you do have, and what you can afford. I have had lean Christmas's in the past, and it's easy to get hung up on those things. Just try to remember that's not what Christmas is about.:) Edited by Buckeye Shopper
spelling

I havent been excited about the holidays since my parents passed away in '94 and '97., and I don't have any other relatives that I know well near me. Dh doesnt have any near us either. So family things arent like the holiday commercials, its basically dh, me and our 2 sons. Sometimes we invite a person or two over for Thanksgiving, and last year we were caring for a homeless teen over the holidays.

Its just another day for us. We are church-going Cristians and I know its supposed to mean so much more, but the media makes you think happy-happy-joy-joy all the time and it just doesnt do it for me.

I know its not about the gifts, I used to enjoy the family time and giving the gifts and well since a certain person enetered the family it's not been even remotely the same. When ppl make it obvious that IT IS ABOUT THE GIFT and no matter what you get them its not enough it takes the fun out of it. When it's just an adult you can just forget them or get whatever but when you add children to the mix and it's just plain sad :(

I know its not about the gifts, I used to enjoy the family time and giving the gifts and well since a certain person enetered the family it's not been even remotely the same. When ppl make it obvious that IT IS ABOUT THE GIFT and no matter what you get them its not enough it takes the fun out of it. When it's just an adult you can just forget them or get whatever but when you add children to the mix and it's just plain sad :(

That is sad, and unfortunately we all have them in our family lol

When it got to this point in my family, we just started going somewhere else for Christmas. My mom talked about it years later, how sad it made her that we would choose to leave town rather than attend a family Christmas. Hmm, do something about the smoking, drinking, and cussing and maybe I would have wanted to hang around.

I have to disagree, This year I am more excited about Christmas than I have ever been. Financially, this has been a tough year. My dp was laid off and our income has dropped more than half. Saying that I have had to be careful with what I buy and when. It is easy to feel sorry for us when we see some families going abroad for the holidays, buying new cars every year, etc. But this economy has been good in making me realize that we are so lucky, we have an income, we haven't lost our home, we can afford to feed our kids nutricious food. In the past, It was more buying in quanity. This year I am putting alot more thought into the gifts I am giving. My teenagers know that money is tight, but I have managed to hit the sales, use coupons and free shipping codes. I bought my 12 year old a nook, my 15 year old a 4th generation touch. Neither have asked for anything because they know money is tight. I know they will be thrilled. I got a few other small gifts for them but it is much less than before. My dp is getting a kodak printer,scanner, fax copier. Luckily I have squirreled away money all year. I get so much more joy giving, I really hate getting. So yes, it isn't like Christmas past, but this year I will truly enjoy Christmas, because although the quanity is less, the love behind Christmas is more.

otonoh

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! We're Christians, yet haven't been to church in a while. The thing is, my kids don't really complain when there isn't much for Christmas (they feel bad, I know, but they don't say much), but when the extended family comes over, my 2 nephews will open gifts and ask if there's more. Their parents can afford to get them a lot, then when they come here I feel like a real heel not having much for them and don't know what to tell them. I'm so not looking forward to Christmas this year, even Black Friday, which is normally my favorite day of the year!

We're Christians, yet haven't been to church in a while. The thing is, my kids don't really complain when there isn't much for Christmas (they feel bad, I know, but they don't say much), but when the extended family comes over, my 2 nephews will open gifts and ask if there's more.

That's what I'm afraid of more than anything. My brother and I were close growing up and it really saddens me that my nephew will morph a greedy materialistic monster. Children can't help but learn from what their surround with :(

I'm not as into it as I usually am. I think mine is all kinds of family stress and the fact that we all have wants but I'm trying to meet our needs.... Not as much fun buying for the needs. I think we will do more family things if I can get my grumpy oldest child to participate. I think the lights and sounds of Christmas are what I love the most. BUt I miss the old traditions, growing up every church choir performed the Messiah and then there was the candlelighting and caroling.... Getting old I guess..

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! We're Christians, yet haven't been to church in a while. The thing is, my kids don't really complain when there isn't much for Christmas (they feel bad, I know, but they don't say much), but when the extended family comes over, my 2 nephews will open gifts and ask if there's more. Their parents can afford to get them a lot, then when they come here I feel like a real heel not having much for them and don't know what to tell them. I'm so not looking forward to Christmas this year, even Black Friday, which is normally my favorite day of the year!

that is why i go out black friday even if i dont feel like it when else can you go shopping plus get free entertainment from people in lines?i go out just to be part of it. i love the cold weather and being realy cold and when my friend saves my place in line so i can go get a hot coffee. i love the hustle and bustle and this year if i find someone in line that needs an extra set of hands i will be glad to help. i usually get home about 9 i dont stay out long but just to be a part of the whole stinkin mess makes me feel more in the spirit at least for the moment

not goin to be that big gift year here either but...i have only one child an adult daughter who lives away from me and christmas is the one time of year i always know she'll be home and we keep alot of the same traditions as when she was little..its her time to be childlike again,its my time to remember christmases past and think about future ones that will include hopefully grandchildren...perhaps its something simple you need...bake favorite treats from your childhood,get a real tree and enjoy the smells, play those silly childrens christmas songs and sing along...its time for us to take our holidays back and make them personal again..its really not about things it is after all a day to celebrate the most perfect love..i wish you all a happy holiday

So sorry to hear this. My kids are spoiled but don't know it. My 13 yr old asked for an IPod touch but also said he understands if he doesn't get it since they are expensive. My 9 year old didn't add things to his list because of the price. They haven't realized yet that my husband and I have worked and worked to get rid of charges and loans. Really the last 7-8 years. We are fortunate especially since they are 13 and 9 years old. We always stress the family and get- togethers. We always are the ones to have the dinners and parties. This is the part they look forward to. Yeah, we have THOSE relatives but years ago we removed ourselves from that situation! Now, we just sit in our jammies and everyone comes to us!

Presents are the bonus.

I was just thinking today that I'm having a tough time getting into the "shopping" mood. Thankfully dh has a job, but we've been just bombarded with various medical bills, house repairs, suv repairs etc, and I just can't give myself permission to spend money when I don't know when the next money sucking incident will hit. I'm usually nearly done by now, but this year I've barely started and can't even decide on a budget for my kids or narrow down the list to what I want to buy.

well not excited this year.... not even for turkey day... I lost my mom this year.... going to a sad one.

I understand, my husbands step father passed away on 12-21-2001. It was hard but it does get easier. I hate even typing these words, but my mom has cancer, this could be her last Christmas. I'm trying not to focus on that, but hoping to make this Christmas even more special. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I understand, my husbands step father passed away on 12-21-2001. It was hard but it does get easier. I hate even typing these words, but my mom has cancer, this could be her last Christmas. I'm trying not to focus on that, but hoping to make this Christmas even more special. I'm very sorry for your loss.

That's where I was for the last 2 years. Unfortunatly I lost my Mom last Feb. I thought that would make the holidays hard, but it hasn't really yet. There have been so many changes for us this year that everything would have been different even if she was still here. I did see an photo ornament that says "Always in our hearts" with room for her pic. I really want to get something like that.

I am still really looking forward to the holidays this year. Money is tight, but that is OK. I had some things stashed for my kids and they have lots already. I am excited for my kids to be home from school and I am really looking forward to visiting my family a day's drive away.

well not excited this year.... not even for turkey day... I lost my mom this year.... going to a sad one.

same here though I am going with it for the boys.

My 16 year old started crying today saying it won't be the same without gramma.

My youngest who is nine wants me to take him to grampas on saturday so he can ask him in person to come to our house christmas morning

Not really excited as Japan does not celebrate. Very few lights and decorations with the exception of the malls that have a BIG tree (mostly pink or blue though ha ha). Also happy to do the SS thing on here cause people really don't give gifts here for X-mas. Also happy I have a Santa hat to wear all of December :D (I fully expect weird looks from the people here). I think I am working on X-mas as well.

I am more bummed over the overpriced plane tickets. I think I might just go the train station and say I want to spend 20,000 yen whats the farthest I can go round trip and just go! Unless one of my gf's here invite me home during New Years break. Highly unlikely...

I am in the same boat. I made less this year than I have in previous years. Plus, my husband hasn't worked in almost 4 years. (And hasn't really tried to get a job during that time.) We lost our house 2 years ago, and have been living with hubby's parents since then. They aren't big on the holiday season like I am, so it's hard to get into the spirit here. They don't decorate that much, and it just doesn't feel like "home" to me. On top of that, I just don't have the money to spend on my kids like I have in the past. I think I have $100 (maybe) to split between the 2 of them this year. I have a few small presents tucked away that I bought earlier in the year, but nothing much. Thankfully, they are only 3 and 6, so they aren't asking for the really big ticket stuff, but they still want more than I can afford, lol. (I haven't even thought too much about the other 30+ people we normally buy for. Some of them expect to get something for everyone else, but have NEVER bought anything for anyone. Ugh.) I am sure everything will be fine, but I just can't get into the Christmas mood this year.