Can anyone advise me on carrying out a 32" tv on black friday?

tskitty

I want to get one of the $198 32" tvs that Walmart will have on Black Friday, but I am worried about how I will carry it to the register and my vehicle. It looks like these tvs weigh no more than 27 pounds, but I imagine they will be in a huge box. Should I bring some duct tape to attach to the box to make handles? I will be by myself, but I really want to get this (my current tv doesn't have a digital tuner and my converter box only works for 2 channels now).

They really aren't heavy and fit just fine in a basket.....Then in your back seat!

That is what I was thinking, they'll fit just fine in the shopping cart. Also, if you can grab a Walmart staff, they may be able to take it to checkout for you - but that's if they aren't busy, and somehow I'm sure they will be since it'll be Black Friday.

I'll add, I do not like the idea of duct tape to make handles for it - this might not work, you might drop the tv, and then your out your $198. Skip the tape. If you have to, pay a teen to come with you to carry it.

I got a 32" at Target last year. Should be no problem carying it. Note: This may be a little different at Walmart, since they will already be open, but consider: You may want to get a cart first, then the TV, then other items, but the cart may slow you down if that is an issue. Or get the TV first, then get a cart, then pick up easier items and put in the cart.

Do not leave the TV in the cart and walk away, even for a moment--someone may take it. If you will be making multiple stops on BF, and can't fit everything in a car trunk, consider taking and old blanket or dark sheet in your car to hide the TV and other valuables while in other stores. A car break-in would really ruin your day.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses -- everyone is so nice on these boards! I try and avoid carts if possible. I'm only going to get the tv this time (although I plan to go to Toys R Us the night before at 10 and get some Hexbugs!)

I'm glad to hear that people have been successful getting these out of the store -- I have a mini van and will take the middle seats out so the box should fit fine.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses -- everyone is so nice on these boards! I try and avoid carts if possible. I'm only going to get the tv this time (although I plan to go to Toys R Us the night before at 10 and get some Hexbugs!)

I'm glad to hear that people have been successful getting these out of the store -- I have a mini van and will take the middle seats out so the box should fit fine.

Thanks again!

Wait am I missing something? I don't remember seeing HexBugs on sale!

Oh wait do you mean the originals for $4.99. DS likes the Nanos.

My Walmart last year had all their TVs in the back stockroom. No TVs even made it to the sales floor. You got a voucher for the TV you wanted to purchase that had the barcode on it. You paid for the TV, and then took your receipt to the back of the store (with your car) where it was loaded into the vehicle for you.

Easy Peasy!

And my 32# TV fit into the back of my Mustang convertible with the top up!

-- I have a mini van and will take the middle seats out so the box should fit fine.

No need to take those seats out. 32" TV boxes just aren't that big.

If you have a chance, stop by Walmart before BF and pick up the box just to get an idea. While you are there, ask if they know where that item will be BF, though that shoulld not be a problem with them opening 5 hours before the Doorbusters.

With the 42" we recently bought, it was a pain, I admit. Just barely got it into our PT, and if my husband hadn't been around to help it would have been a nightmare for me to get inside. But a 32" would have probably been a lot easier (had he not been there, I probably would have gotten one instead!). My biggest worry was dropping it... on BF, I think an issue, with all the crowds, would be someone running a cart into in, hitting it, ect. Also a concern I think would be that, while lugging and trying to load a TV, you may be a target for those wishing to pickpocket, purse snatch, ect., so for someone shopping alone-- especially a woman-- may want to ask for security or help if available, even if it means a wait.

The year we bought a 32" at BB they loaded it straight into our trunk for us but some of the youtube video show people hauling them off single handedly in the mad dash. Theoretically they only weigh about 30-40 lbs so shouldn't be too hard to drag/push across store I'd be more worried about getting your hands on it if it's a free for all like some of the videos posted in another thread.

Wait am I missing something? I don't remember seeing HexBugs on sale!

Oh wait do you mean the originals for $4.99. DS likes the Nanos.

Yes, the little Hexbug are $4.99 and the rollup keyboards will be $12.49 at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving at Toys R Us.

If your walmart is handing out tickets, it may be one of the items that require a ticket. I know every store is different but our local walmart said they will hand out tickets for large tv's. you just bring the ticket to the automotive center pay for it and they will have someone to get the tv and load it for you.

I actually had the same worries. Then I saw the 32" tv on sale at wm this week with free shipping to home. Solved my problem very easily. I think it was $15 more than the one I had planned to get - but I don't have to mess with it and possibly not even get one and don't have to worry about it in my car while I shop.