starting to bake and make candy BUT is there anything that I should not freeze?

digman6

My daughter and her 2 sisters are going to bake with my friend and her 2 sons and daughter.I know some things you make you can freeze and defrost and it taste fine. However is there anything baking wise that if i freeze and defrost that the taste is not so great later??

so far it looks like your basic choc chip, PB etc candy wise turtles, pretzels with choc.

if anyone has any other recipes to make let me know also! We dont have many reciepes so looking for fun simple things.

thanks again !

I don't freeze any of it, I find it tastes freezer burnt the one time i tried to freeze buckeyes. We put them in tins and tupperware and they stay good til xmas. Also my mom told me if you freeze it, they get wet when thawed. I cover pretzels, make buckeyes, chocolate and peanut butter fudge, sometimes sponge candy, divinity, among others and last year I added homemade marshmallows. They were extremely fun and much better than storebought. You cut them and roll in colored sugar or coconut, etc . Got the recipe from taste of home. Kids loved them. I don't do cookies, I make trays and if you mix candy and cookies on the trays, the cookies get bad. My mom makes the cookies, spritz ones and she starts baking Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the ideas I am going to the taste of home site for recipes ! Thanks for the ideas they are being added to the list of things to make :). I plan to bake all season off and on but wanted to get a jump start on some of it now. I bought a bunch of those cookie dough tubs from my daughter so figured that would be the begining of the baking season lol.

me, my mom and my grams spend a whole day baking every year and we do everything from m&m cookies to 7 layer bars to peppermint bark and we freeze everything. I've never had a problem with it tasting freezer burnt. We layer ours in tins and tupperware with waxed paper between the layers and then i usually just get out what i need for cookies plates. If we didn't do this then I wouldn't have a place to store everything lol as I usually end up with about 20 tins/tupperware/baggies FULL of cookies. The only thing i think i wouldn't freeze are the pretzels.

me, my mom and my grams spend a whole day baking every year and we do everything from m&m cookies to 7 layer bars to peppermint bark and we freeze everything. I've never had a problem with it tasting freezer burnt. We layer ours in tins and tupperware with waxed paper between the layers and then i usually just get out what i need for cookies plates. If we didn't do this then I wouldn't have a place to store everything lol as I usually end up with about 20 tins/tupperware/baggies FULL of cookies. The only thing i think i wouldn't freeze are the pretzels.

I have baked in past and froze cookies and pulled them out a week later and they have been fine as well. I just wasnt sure if I had them in there from now until Christmas if it would change. I see you mention tins as well for your freezing. I had not thought of that, I was always used to using tupperware cause I have so much on hand lol. I will besure not to freeze pretzels but guessing most other candies are fair game to be frozen ??? thanks for tips.

It should be a lot of fun.....I hope anyhow :)

I have baked in past and froze cookies and pulled them out a week later and they have been fine as well. I just wasnt sure if I had them in there from now until Christmas if it would change. I see you mention tins as well for your freezing. I had not thought of that, I was always used to using tupperware cause I have so much on hand lol. I will besure not to freeze pretzels but guessing most other candies are fair game to be frozen ??? thanks for tips.

It should be a lot of fun.....I hope anyhow :)

I would think you would be fine... we usually make ours right after thanksgiving... and i take a plate into work usually the week before christmas... and then my family is still pulling cookies out of the freezer well into January lol

that is a excellent idea to vaccume seal what you make. I think the biggest challenge is organizing this so it is not crazy and unorganized lol..... i think to save time I will make a batch of sloppy joe so we can eat when we want without taking out more " stuff" . i am appreciating all these suggestions and ideas thanks so much keep them coming if anyone has any more.

that is a excellent idea to vaccume seal what you make. I think the biggest challenge is organizing this so it is not crazy and unorganized lol..... i think to save time I will make a batch of sloppy joe so we can eat when we want without taking out more " stuff" . i am appreciating all these suggestions and ideas thanks so much keep them coming if anyone has any more.

absolutely "premake" lunch or whatever... we usually do the baking at my house since I have double ovens so mom always brings something to warm on the stove for lunch... also... we always have our sugar cookies already cut out and placed on parchment sheets so that we can just place them on the baking sheets and in the oven they go... we do the same with the gingerbread men.... we also premake the peanut butter balls for the buckeyes (which we freeze first for easier dunking into the chocolate) and the peanut butter blossoms...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Buckeyes

Ingredients

5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

1-2/3 cups peanut butter

1 cup butter, melted

4 cups (24 ounces) HERSHEY’®S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1 teaspoon shortening

Directions

In a bowl, combine the sugar, peanut butter and butter; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls; set aside.

In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate; place on a wire rack over waxed paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.

I have been dipping pretzels for about 15 years and freeze them with no problems!

As a matter of fact,when I first started making them,I decided to put them in the freezer because they were so delicious I couldn't stay out of them (to avoid temptation).

Unfortunately,I found out I liked them even better when they were frozen!

:tongue1:

I make mine with the bark coating: I don't know how they would taste frozen with real chocolate.

I had to start freezing my baked goods because I was so busy shopping,wrapping,etc. right before Christmas that I found I didn't have time to do if I didn't start early and freeze items.

ok i did some baking and it all went well the premaking of lunch was a dream ! lol i also froze the pretzels and choc. however we should not of tried thtem that way....we ate a LOT of them hahaha . the plan is kick into gear and do some more baking. it really does take a long time to get things made. it was fun though for everyone