Clearance items on Halloween @ walmart

smr071165

I was at my local Walmart and the Halloweed stuff was 75% off! while that may not seem unusual, the quantity of stuff left was. I was able to pick up several things that are going to be Christmas gifts for someone that will be getting their first place this next year. Edited by bigjimslade
made title more coherent

Yesterday morning, my walmart went to 90% off Halloween, with all Halloween candy being .10 (including bags of fun sized candy bars, etc.). I was too late for most of the candy (some people were just downright greedy... the woman checking out in front of me bought nothing but .10 bags of candy and spent $20!- then actually complained to the manager because she had called the day before and asked when the stuff would go to 90% off and they had told her they didn't know, so she had missed out on a bunch of the candy!), but I did get a bunch of costumes for my boys, who love to wear costumes around the house while they play.

I ended up with 16 costumes that my boys will LOVE (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Iron Man 2, Wolverine, Superman, Spiderman, Spongebob, Incredible Hulk, Darth Vader, Clone Trooper, Batman, Power Ranger, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and a couple more I can't remember) and 10 little packages of How to Train Your Dragon candies for $23!

I was really excited! I'm putting together a costume trunk for a Christmas present. My WM must not have sold much of their Halloween costumes this year, because there were hundreds of them at 90% off! Everyone went crazy for the candy and barely seemed to care about the costumes...

I know.. it was insane! At first I thought she must be donating it or buying it for some cause or another, but she was so snotty that I now have a mental picture of her sitting in her living room, covered in bags of candy saying, "Its mine... ALL MINE!" While laughing maniacally, of course.

And the poor little old lady cashier was so upset after she left because the woman was so rude to her. All the candy was ringing up full price and had to be price modified to the .10, so needless to say, it was taking awhile. The woman was really impatient and snapping at the cashier about everything. By the time she got to me she was so frazzled and upset... I felt so bad for her. I chatted with her and let her vent about how the woman had treated her and by the time I left she was smiling and telling me to "have a wonderful day, dear!," which made my day. :) In addition to the cheap costumes, of course! ;)

our Walmart and Target didn't have any candy today, I thought that was odd. There usually is some left, even if its body part gummy ones or something

I know. Two Targets I went to first thing Sunday morning had NO bagged candy and I have always got candy at 90% off before!

While WM had 90% off Halloween,candy was only 50% :rolleyes:

GRRR @ walmart..why do they have to be so difficult with holiday markdowns..Get there and me and 1 other lady are the only ones on the aisle. Signs every 3ft on both sides of the aisle state 90% off all halloween. There are BIG BAGS of CANDY..BIG BAGS the huge 180count dum-dums ect. So I look at a walmart lady that comes up and ask EVERYTHING? And she tells me yes. I start piling up candy, TONS of wilton supplies....then manager comes up in suit talking on cellphone..and I over hear him saying ......something something "get somebody over here to PULL it I wonder how much this is costing us" but he never makes a move to pull anything (figured it was the unmarked candy (nothing halloween..even those BIG HUGE pinata type bags had 90% posted over them....)

So I load up mostly I just got 5 bags of those dumdum suckers and figured I give a bag to each of the kids teachers to replenish their stash. I also got Dh some tootsie rolls and then the 2 bags of snack size M&Ms. MacNcheese and 2 boxes of those pretzels. The rest was costumes and Wilton sprinkles, chocolate disc and cupcake liners, candy making kits ect.

Well a few minutes after manager that was too special for manual labor I guess... 5 employees come over and start literally running to take down signs! Me and the older woman who had been chatting, helping each other of course ask why and they say most of this is not supposed to be on sale and 90% is JUST COSTUMES and COSTUME accessories. We had been on that aisle picking for about 45mins!!! So we gang up and head straight to checkout and tell them that when we were standing there the signs said 90%...took some convincing but finally the manager told her to override everything to 90% but acted like she was doing us a huge favor. If it wasn't 90% we didn't want it KWIM....she rang up the first ladies who had TONS having to override EVERYTHING even costumes were just scanning 50%. Then she rang up mine..got halfway through and manager told her she could not longer override ANYTHING that it was what it was scanning :mad: I argued for half a second saying it wasn't MY MISTAKE and it was signed 90% but quickly gave up because it wasn't worth the fight and I had already gotten some things.

But seriously what is the dang deal? They have to eventually go 90% right....I think that all the customers that had stuff BEFORE they took down the signs shoulda gotten it for 90% :mad:

I did walk up to the service desk after checking out and they were all huddled talking about it and I politely made sure that our checkout lady was not going to be in any trouble for manually overriding things..because if she was they could return it all. They assured me that it was fine that it was a mixup that someone missread the email from cooperate this morning .....although I think it was more than that...I think some of the candy and things were not supposed to be there AT ALL but when the sign says 90% they should haveta honor it!

Edited by mom2monkiesx3

Yesterday my walmart only had a couple of gummy body parts but no other candy at all. Same for Target. and I was so looking forward to getting all the candy everyone else was talking about for Christmas stockings. :(

BTW Mine was pulling EVERYTHING that was not "halloween specific" icky body parts, chocolate pumpkins and candy corn they were leaving. They even pulled all the "dragons" stuff other people have been getting for 90%. They pulled the wilton sprinkles and black/orange melting chocolate and the macncheese for some reason too???? They left the Wilton candy necklace making kits and the candy suckers kits...

My guess is those things they pulled won't make the floor again...which is probally what happened at your store.

Moral of the long story is candy is 50% and only heavily marked halloween stuff, costumes are 90% Decorations, food, ect are what they scan. Which seemed to be 50% and 75% except for papergoods that WERE ringing up 90%. And a halloween shirt that I was going to buy DS12 scanned FULLPRICE as did the Wilton "Zombie mix sprinkles" (which luckily I got BEFORE they stopped manually overridding things!.) So watch EVERYTHING at the register regardless of what signage says.

but when the sign says 90% they should haveta honor it!

ITA! In situations like this, I think that they need to honor the price for the customers who put the items in their carts after seeing the 90% off tags.

Last Sunday at Kmart I saw this Wii game bundle that had a gun and 3 low-budget shooting games in a box with a sticker saying "$14.95." I thought that seemed low, but there were about 8 of them grouped together, all with $14.95 stickers on them. I figured that they were trying to get rid of them (I have bought many things at this KM for rediculously cheap- Mickey Mouse Clubhouses, the year that they were hot toys, for $1.50 each, a $40 toy gift set for $2 a couple of months ago).

Well, I take it up to the register and it rings up $49.99! The cashier calls the front manager over to override it.... she tells her to call someone in electronics. The cashier says, "We have to sell it to her for $14.95 since that's what its marked." Manager says to call electronics anyway. Electronics lady comes over and basically says "too bad." That if the difference were less, she would honor it, but not $35. Didn't offer to meet me in the middle or anything. Then acted suprised when I said I no longer wanted it.

After she leaves, the cashier apologized and I told her that it wasn't her fault, but that I thought it was illegal to not sell 1 of the item to the customer at the marked price. She said, "Don't say I told you this, but you need to go to customer service and ask to speak to the store manager."

I did. The people at customer service called the store manager and explained, saying that the customer is not satisfied with the situation. He told them to sell it to me for the $14.95 but make sure they get the other units off the floor until they have been re-tagged. It was irritating (mainly the response from the electronics lady), but I was happy with the end result.

Our Wal-Mart has 0 candy left, but all the other Halloween stuff is 75% off! There is still 1 full side of an isle left, and it's pretty packed!!! It's mostly costumes and accessories. I've been going every morning to check it and it doesn't look like they've sold a single thing. They're putting up Christmas stuff all around it, so it HAS to go lower soon or they'll salvage it.

Way to hold your ground...Went to walmart today...candy 50% costumes/decor 75% LMAO

Lol,that's rich but I can go you one better: went to Menard's tonight (NOT for Halloween stuff)

and their Halloween candy wasn't discounted at all-it was still full price! :shock:

When our WMs went to 90% off Halloween items but only 50% off candy last Sunday,I never went back to check when it went any lower.

Good thing I got what candy I needed at Target.