How to make the dipped pretzels?

tokanm

I was thinking of making these this year for gifts. Has anyone here made them before

and how dificult/easy are they to make? I was thinking of doing white and milk chocolate

and then some with nuts, jimmies etc. Also where could I find those long skinny bags to

put them in?

thanks

If you're doing the pretzel rods, they're simple. We used a crock pot to keep the melted chocolate warm, dip the rods, and put them on wax paper to dry/harden. You can sprinkle whatever on them before they harden. I've seen long cellophane bags at your typical places, Target, W-M, holiday themed, in their holiday section.

They sell the bags at micheal's and joanns fabrics along with the molds. I am assuming you're talking about something similar to this ? http://www.joann.com/images/06/62/3/xprd66234_m.jpgThey're not difficult for patient people with OK coloring skills if you're going the coloured route otherwise they're super easy. If you want to make pretty (both outer pretzels) and have different colours you need to buy the coloured candy melts, melt then and then paint mold before finishing off with chocolate. We used a paintbrush one time and a q-tip another time. It's just basically melt chocolate/candy melts, put in/paint mold, put in fridge a few minutes or leave out to cool and repeat until the amount you need are done.

I just use the pretzel wreaths and we just melt the white bark in the microwave and then dip them with a fork and then let them sit on wax paper to dry, when they are went we put sprinkles on them! I love the idea of adding a bit of peppermint tho, and adding a crushed candy cane on them. I can't wait to start my baking!

Besides buying the Wilton chocolate/colored discs to melt, do any of you have suggestions for another brand, possibly less expensive, that will harden just as well and if so, where did you purchase?

I've been making these for about 15 years. I give them as teacher's gifts along with my caramel corn.

Allshoppedout-I just use the white coating or milk chocolate coating found at any grocery store. It's not real chocolate so it says something like Bark Coating. I think it was $2.48 at WM the other day. It makes a whole bag of pretzels (I do the mini-twists) plus a little more. I put red and green non-pareils on mine.

Easy,festive,inexpensive and delicious!

I've been making these for about 15 years. I give them as teacher's gifts along with my caramel corn.

Allshoppedout-I just use the white coating or milk chocolate coating found at any grocery store. It's not real chocolate so it says something like Bark Coating. I think it was $2.48 at WM the other day. It makes a whole bag of pretzels (I do the mini-twists) plus a little more. I put red and green non-pareils on mine.

Easy,festive,inexpensive and delicious!

:) Thanks for all the helpful information, I'm gonna make some to take over my sister's on Thanksgiving.

The cheap almond bark at Wal-Mart tastes just as good, I actually prefer it on some things.

Thank you, too!

Besides buying the Wilton chocolate/colored discs to melt, do any of you have suggestions for another brand, possibly less expensive, that will harden just as well and if so, where did you purchase?

The only way I would use the wilton is if I wanted colored because you CANNOT put food coloring in the almond bark or it will seize up. I use plain old almond bark.. My family likes the white, but sometimes I use the chocolate also. Be sure and tap the pretzel on the fork gently until all the excess runs off. If you only use the unbroken pretzels, you can get 2 bags out of one package of almond bark. It tastes better than wilton discs also. Be sure and stir every 30 seconds in the microwave as it only takes a few seconds over to burn.

If you do use the almond bark, make sure you have vegetable shortening on hand like Crisco. I usually melt white chocolate or chocolate that I get packaged in grocery stores this time of the year. I think it melts better. But a few weeks ago, I used white almond bark and it got odd quickly. I googled and found out I could have thinned it a bit with vegetable shortening. It would have made it smoother.

One other easy thing you can make with almond bark are cake balls. You make sheet cakes and then add a can of frosting. Mold into balls, refrigerate or freeze and then dip into melted chocolate. They take a bit of time because you have to make a cake and let it cool and then mix in the frosting and roll into bowls and then frig or freeze AND THEN dip but are really easy. And you can make any kind of cake with any kind of frosting.

If you do use the almond bark, make sure you have vegetable shortening on hand like Crisco. I usually melt white chocolate or chocolate that I get packaged in grocery stores this time of the year. I think it melts better. But a few weeks ago, I used white almond bark and it got odd quickly. I googled and found out I could have thinned it a bit with vegetable shortening. It would have made it smoother.

One other easy thing you can make with almond bark are cake balls. You make sheet cakes and then add a can of frosting. Mold into balls, refrigerate or freeze and then dip into melted chocolate. They take a bit of time because you have to make a cake and let it cool and then mix in the frosting and roll into bowls and then frig or freeze AND THEN dip but are really easy. And you can make any kind of cake with any kind of frosting.

OMG that sounds so good!

Fattening,but good lol!

This all sounds great, But I will stick to wilton, I did the almond bark once never again, I have done almost everything there is to do with chocolate, If you watch micheals or Hobby lobby these go on sale during the holiday's, although hobby lobby bags are bigger. Once you dip if you put them in the freezer they harden better and quicker

OMG that sounds so good!

Fattening,but good lol!

They are good. I've made them and Bakerella is the queen of cake balls.

I did it with candy melts, and it was NOT easy. But so delicious.

http://x7c.xanga.com/846e012a13d37269957958/b215330068.jpg

Towards the end (I shouldn't have used white candy coating with red velvet cake, ugh) it was getting a bit messy:

http://x98.xanga.com/f64f962b77532269957960/b215330070.jpg

They tasted fine, so I didn't care. :tongue1:

I often just use the pretzel twists, dip them in white almond bark mixed with a little bit of peppermint extract, then sprinkle crushed candy cane on top of them. My husband is already eagerly anticipating my first batch this year.

I'm going to have to try this. I use the white and chocolate almond bark to dip mine in.. but this sounds good

if you dont want the mess but still love the taste try the square waffle look pretzels and a hershey kiss ,i like the hugs so i get both flavors of chocolate..easily done on a sheet in the oven....

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/holiday-pretzel-treats-685006

I also do these but with a Rolo candy instead of a kiss and then I place a pecan on them and they are like turtles...they are a big hit and so simple to make. The hardest thing is unwrapping the rolos one by one, lol

I buy Ghirardelli chocolate chip or even Whole Foods 365 organic chocolate chips. I melt them in an enameled cast iron saucepan on medium low heat. They are yummy! My DH loves them dipped in dark chocolate. Yum!

Dark chocolate is good for you, pretzels are good for you... This said, these covered pretzels become a health food in my book.

Anyone know why I can't seem to lose the last ten pounds.

I use nestle chocolate chips and some shortening and melt in the micro. Then I dip pretzels in, shake off the excess and then freeze to harden faster. I also dip ridged potato chips in the chocolate, do it and you will never go back to pretzels again , they are great!.

Also about the cake balls, which are delicious. I made them last year with the red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting with white chocolate covering, they did get messy (the red caked started mixing into the white choc). This year, thanks to bakarella, I made them again, but put them on those lollipop sticks, I also mocked up a double boiler - melt choc in micro then keep in glass bowl over a pot of simmering water). I dipped them in orange wilton discs (with a little shortening) and then decorated them as pumpkins. This holiday I will do the same with white chocolate and make snowmen. They are the best things ever! I also added a little peppermint to the chocolate and made choc cake with choc frosting and it tasted like mint girl scout cookies (keep them away from all others, othewise everything will taste pepperminty). A little labor intensive, but so well worth it, I promise. The combinations are endless, nuts, carrot cake, almond extract, coffee...

Oh and to make it decorative you can put in a mini cupcake paper and serve them on a tray with your pretzels & potato chips!

I've been making candy for over 25 years. I give large plates to the neighbors and relatives. I fill about 15 trays total. I tried chips and crisco and they take too long to harden and are too messy. I don't care for Wilton either. I LOVE almond bark. I melt it in the microwave and hve a slow cooker I put on low and it keeps it thin enough to dip. THey harden in less than 5 minutes. I also use it to dip my buckeyes, but I refrigerate them first so they don't fall off the stick, that would work for the cakeballs also. I make sponge candy and dip them too. Last year, I bougtht a load of bark for 1.00 a package after xmas and will use it this year, It's sealed and keeps well.

It is very easy to make candy, really nothing to it, I am also a long time candy maker and the chocolate you use ads up to the taste you want it to have. Every one can tell you what to use and what not to use, it all boils down to what you want your candy to taste like, look like and how creative you want to get. Wilton is the closes to melted chocolate that tastes like candy is suppose to. Again a matter of taste. Almond bark comes in one flavour and two colours, When I make candy for gift giving it is very time consuming as they are decorated with colours. I have been doing candy and cookie trays for ever when I mean forever longer then I want to admit. When you do candy you who is making it need to experiment with everything and decide your self the method that works best for you.

It is very easy to make candy, really nothing to it, I am also a long time candy maker and the chocolate you use ads up to the taste you want it to have. Every one can tell you what to use and what not to use, it all boils down to what you want your candy to taste like, look like and how creative you want to get. Wilton is the closes to melted chocolate that tastes like candy is suppose to. Again a matter of taste. Almond bark comes in one flavour and two colours, When I make candy for gift giving it is very time consuming as they are decorated with colours. I have been doing candy and cookie trays for ever when I mean forever longer then I want to admit. When you do candy you who is making it need to experiment with everything and decide your self the method that works best for you.

I agree, but almond bark is not just one flavor, it is vanilla or chocolate. I have used wilton for colored candy molds before. It's all a matter of preference.