Gifts for Co-Workers ideas & amount to spend

2chia

I have concern about giving gift to coworkers:.

1. Budget(someone had sort of answer this ): If the retail price was $30 and you bought it at sale/BF and it was at $10, would you still consider that gift at $30 ?

2. I have a direct supervisor and her supervisor sits right next to her in the other office ,who I also see daily and have some dealing with. What is the budget for each ?

3. How do you give to someone who is in your department and you don't know them that well ? How did that happen ? Well... Two of them just started with working at our company. Now, can I give food gift (which might look like a last minute thing and look not as a personal knowledge gift) ? I don't want to 2 of them left out since I might have more dealing with them. Or , is my system all wrong on this ?

Not sure if anyone has ever made this post. I am still new to the Gottadeal forum and not sure how to search the post to make sure this not posted before. Thanks

:shock:

Edited by Rockfordmom

the supervisors i would keep it at $20 each or whatever price, keep theirs the same.

the 2 that just started i would keep it as low as possible. maybe get them the big box of chocolate covered pretzels at bed bath beyond or a little coffee basket sort of thing if they drink coffee or tea whatever. being as tho they just started working there they know that nobody knows them well so a food gift is fine.i think they will be thrilled that someone thought of them enough to get them a present

We don't exchange gifts in the office. This is my thinking about giving my boss a gift .. she knows how much less I make than her. So why would I take my hard earned money and spend it on a gift for someone that can't even bother to say good morning to me when she goes by my cubicle? Yes, I am bitter - lol

Why don't you make some holiday bread, cookies, or candy to share amongst all of your coworkers?

Our office does not exchange gifts as well. We all put money to adopting a family. I get to do the shopping!! I am making those marble magnets for everyone at the office and my church ladies but dont worry that is only around 10 people total!!

In my office, we buy & wrap "Santa" gifts for kids from needy families that my church is giving food baskets to (then I take them to my church and help deliver them when we deliver the food baskets). Some coworkers still buy something for everyone in the office (one guy gives each person a couple cans of peanuts or cashews; I like to put candy and a small gift like gloves or an ice scraper inside a cheap coffee mug or tumbler; etc.)...

But what we DO still enjoy is our mini-stockings: we each have one of those little stockings like you can get 4/$1 with our name written on it with glitter paint. We lay them out on a table (nowhere good to hang them!), and whoever wants to can put candy, jewelry, pencils, or any little trinket thing in each stocking. The only rules are it must fit in the stockings, be in good taste, and each stocking must get the same or something equal to what the others get. It's always so much fun to go check our stockings each day, to see if anything new has appeared! :)

When we used to do a gifts for everyone, we drew names-- each person would write their name on a piece of paper, then things like favorite color, favorite sport/team, hobbies, etc. Then those were folded and put in a bowl to be drawn out. That way, any new coworkers (or even ones that keep to themselves a lot) didn't feel left out! And with this method, you can do "Secret Santa" where you bring in a small gift once a week thru December, or you can do just one small/medium gift (set a $ limit) to exchange at a Christmas potluck.

Oh, and personally, I've never given my bosses anything different than what I give everyone else, I guess because we considered ourselves part of a team. (Although my new boss that many of us are having problems with might get a bag of coal this year- LOL!) But if I had a boss who went above and beyond for his/her employees, I might consider a little something extra, or maybe ask coworkers to go in with me to buy a gift card to a nice restaurant...

• 2 weeks later...

We do not exchange at my office either. My boss gets all the employees of the organization a $10 gift card to someplace. Then for my direct employee's I have almost 20 of them, and honestly I am not rolling in cash and cannot afford to buy for all of them (my husband has medical issues that have kept him out of work w/ no pay). I wish I could buy for all of them, but it's just not in the cards.

Anyhow, as an individual department myself and my employees have gone ahead and planned a 'potluck" type of snack food day right before the holidays to celebrate w/ one another. This has worked out nicely and fits well into everyone's budget. It makes for a nice day at work as everyone socializes a little more.

Up until last year, the other manager and myself always did something nice for every staff member and each other. The other manager would get $20 gc each.. and I would spend 5-10 each and they would get something 20+ in value..... they seemed to enjoy it.. they would take up $10 each in donations and split this in g/c for both of us... We never felt they had to do this and told them it was appreciated but they shouldn't feel obligated.

Last year, the lady that was always put in charge of doing the g/c retired... and so another lady that never liked her basically came to us and said "ok.. so and so isn't here and we aren't doing things her way anymore so we all discussed it and please don't buy us anything so we don't feel obligated to donate money for the two of you".... we told them that we never felt they needed to do that and they were adamant they wanted NOTHING from us... so we did exactly that.. then several of them were upset... seems we can't win...

So this year... I am gonna make some homemade candies... and just put them in little tins I have leftover and drop one off at each person's cubicle with no name as to who they are from, etc... simply it will be small and not much, but maybe it will stop the ones that are upset from getting nothing, but respectful to those that didn't want us to spend $$ on them.

Also, in May I was given the opportunity to go to the other office on the West Coast... spending that time getting to know the folks out there makes me want to do something for them also so I think I am going to do a very large tin full of candy/cookies/etc and send it out to them to put in their break room at work... and send a smaller tin to each of the new owners' homes for them and their families to enjoy to let them know that we are thinking of them and appreciate the new opportunities they have given us over the past year....

That way.. it's just the "oh, she loves to cook" thing and no one feels obligated to return the effort of homemade goodies :) Or so I hope...

Up until last year, the other manager and myself always did something nice for every staff member and each other. The other manager would get $20 gc each.. and I would spend 5-10 each and they would get something 20+ in value..... they seemed to enjoy it.. they would take up $10 each in donations and split this in g/c for both of us... We never felt they had to do this and told them it was appreciated but they shouldn't feel obligated.

Last year, the lady that was always put in charge of doing the g/c retired... and so another lady that never liked her basically came to us and said "ok.. so and so isn't here and we aren't doing things her way anymore so we all discussed it and please don't buy us anything so we don't feel obligated to donate money for the two of you".... we told them that we never felt they needed to do that and they were adamant they wanted NOTHING from us... so we did exactly that.. then several of them were upset... seems we can't win...

So this year... I am gonna make some homemade candies... and just put them in little tins I have leftover and drop one off at each person's cubicle with no name as to who they are from, etc... simply it will be small and not much, but maybe it will stop the ones that are upset from getting nothing, but respectful to those that didn't want us to spend $$ on them.

Also, in May I was given the opportunity to go to the other office on the West Coast... spending that time getting to know the folks out there makes me want to do something for them also so I think I am going to do a very large tin full of candy/cookies/etc and send it out to them to put in their break room at work... and send a smaller tin to each of the new owners' homes for them and their families to enjoy to let them know that we are thinking of them and appreciate the new opportunities they have given us over the past year....

That way.. it's just the "oh, she loves to cook" thing and no one feels obligated to return the effort of homemade goodies :) Or so I hope...

The ladies did ask for NOTHING. Well. They ask and they get. Don't let them get to you. It is their own fault... they should be happy you didnt left them a lump of coal... Now, if it was me, I wouldn't do anything for them , not even home baked goods.... But, then I can get vidicted ( I think is the scorpio in me). And, I will go find other dept's coworkers who are in the spirit ... Geez.. Ungrateful lot.

I have 4 Japanese female co-workers and need gifts for 3 of them (already have an idea for 1 of them)

One is married and age 36. Hates frogs, kinda quiet,

The other is 24 and has a boyfriend, she cooks often and brings the same stuff for lunch the whole week. She also spends a lot of time on the train to and from work. She likes cute things too.

The last is 26 and has a boyfriend and complains a lot and kinda reminds me of squidward. She likes 7-up and Dr. Pepper. (maybe flavored candy is an option)

I need ideas!!! It can be USA stuff and I have great GDers in the exchange thread who can help me out as well. ;)

There are 7up and Dr. Pepper flavored lip glosses here :)

To get some good ideas your best bet is to go to one of the big department stores and up to the floor where the oseibo (year end) gift giving displays are set up. You'll be amazed at what kinds of things are offered and there should be catalogs you can take with you. If you want to keep it really simple, try to get the same thing for all 3 but in a different color/pattern, etc. Good luck with the gift hunting.

forthe 24 yr old if she likes to cook maybe a cute apron maybe you could tie dye it reusable lunch tote

print out a few recipes from rachael ray,paula deen,maybe guy fieri and wrote a little about each one and a pic and make a simple cookbook from the usa.

I have 4 Japanese female co-workers and need gifts for 3 of them (already have an idea for 1 of them)

One is married and age 36. Hates frogs, kinda quiet,

The other is 24 and has a boyfriend, she cooks often and brings the same stuff for lunch the whole week. She also spends a lot of time on the train to and from work. She likes cute things too.

The last is 26 and has a boyfriend and complains a lot and kinda reminds me of squidward. She likes 7-up and Dr. Pepper. (maybe flavored candy is an option)

I need ideas!!! It can be USA stuff and I have great GDers in the exchange thread who can help me out as well. ;)

How about:

a vintage style soda shirt for the soda lover.

A trendy travel bag or"stand out" headphones for the commuter

For the older married woman something she can share with hubby (music cd's, american cookbook- diner,roadhouse, southwestern, bbq and matching fun aprons)

7UP® Jelly Belly - 16 oz 7UP® Jelly Belly - 16 oz

Price: $8.99

Jelly Belly 7UP® jelly beans in a clear, re-sealable bulk tub with lid. Portable and convenient size for candy.

16 oz of 7UP® flavor Jelly Belly jelly beans in a clear, re-sealable bulk tub with lid. Approximately 400 beans per pound. Color as represented is as accurate as possible, depending on your video and/or monitor settings.All Jelly Belly jelly beans are certified OU Kosher by the Orthodox Union.

Read 54 Reviews for 7UP® Jelly Belly - 16 pic is a very light green colored jelly belly $8.99 16 oz

same for dr pepper color is dark brown

http://candy.jellybelly.com/search?w=dr+pepper&asug=&view=list&ctl00%24jBCCMainMasterContentPlaceHolder%24navGoButton=Search

7UP® A&ampW® Root Beer A&ampW® Cream Soda

7UP® A&ampW® Root Beer A&ampW® Cream Soda

Dr. Pepper Orange Crush Grape Crush

Dr. Pepper® Orange Crush® Grape Crush®