Need a gift idea for my grandmother!

Princess7915

Every year my grandmother (on my mom's side) is really hard to buy for. She truly has everything! She lives in the area (as does my mom and my aunt) so we all see other often. You can't ask her what she wants because she always gives you that junk about "don't buy me anything". Sometimes someone comes up with something good to give her. However most years it's the slippers, p.j.'s or a book routine. She's in her late 70's and I would just like to get her something nice. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

if i had one of my grandmothers with me i would get a cute little tea pot anda "special"mug juast fr her and a little basket full of different teas,hot chocolate and throw in some hard candies. maybe slippers with it as a keep warm gift i am always thinking of things like that to keep my feet warm as i am almost always cold

My grandma is the same way. "I don't want anything!" I don't need anything!" lol

Makes it so hard to get her anything.

I got her a "grandmother blanket" a few years ago that she loved and uses. It's real pretty. I found it in some catalog but don't remember what one. They're all over the internet, too though.

How about a gift basket full of things she likes? Candies, chocolates, gift card to her favorite stores, etc.

What kind of things does she like as far as tv shows, books, music, decor etc. More details can help think up ideas. :)

I agree with dealluvr. Nice treats are always a good thing. I am getting to the point I don't want more stuff in my house. Good tea/hot chocolate and treats to eat while I read or relax is a great idea.

Be careful with books. I am a librarian that buys a lot of books during the year. I always felt that I was a good judge of what my mom would like. That lasted until I was helping her clean out her home office and I found several books that I had gotten signed by the author for her. She had never opened them. Now I give her a trip to the local book store and flannel pjs. This year I may add special coffees for her.

Are you crafty? You could make her one of the fleece blankets that you tie...they have many patterns and they don't really take long to make. I watched on youtube how to make one and did baby ones last year for showers and made my kids them for college (MLB and NFL). I like to do the basket idea too...you do a movie basket with dvd, theater snacks, popcorn or whatever she likes to snack on.

maybe some of those mind games like the wood with holes and golf tees you try to jump over and in the end if you have only 1 left you win stuff like that help with memory too

i'm just sayin cause i have been out of school over 30 years and the very basic math i had to relearn like they say if you dont use it you lose it..

Edited by dealluvr
add

..this is where is gets a bit tricky.. and I suppose I should have included it! She's diabetic so the goodies are out. I can go do some of the local shops and get sugar-free candy or chocolate but she usually chucks it because she doesn't eat it. She sneaks the good stuff! On occasion I get her "real" stuff from a bakery but I feel bad about doing it. She loves books and movies and owns a library's worth of them! (ever seen the hoarders show? LOL) so it's kind of the default gift to buy her a book or new movie on dvd. When I say my grandmom has everything I am NOT kidding :) But she's not a fancy person - she really wants nothing special. Two years ago she had a radio that broke. DH and I got her a new portable radio with a cd player and tape deck that was like $30 and she was more than thrilled. Please keep the ideas coming though...the inspiration is good :)

Digital picture frame and then fill it with pictures of the past and present.

Blanket with a photo of her children or grandchildren or both.

Tickets to a play she may want to see and then you take her and spend the evening together.

My DH's Grandmother is the same way. These are some of the things we have gotten her and they were a big hit.

Picture blanket throw of our kids,

Breast Cancer scarf thru FordCares (she loved that one it just took a long time to get here)

Scentsy candles and holder with the Xmas scents. She no longer puts up a tree but loves the smell so now she has it whenever she wants.

Digital picture frame with memory card filled with pictures of her Great GrandChildren

This year we are planning on another memory card for the frame, more candles, and something so she can start listening to books on tape since her eyesight is not as good as it was.

she might really love this

get her a class ring. i know when i get older,as i have long since lost my class ring,i would be thrilled to get a fancy up to date class ring.back then there was just one style of class rings.get hers with her birthstone in it

Edited by dealluvr
add

..this is where is gets a bit tricky.. and I suppose I should have included it! She's diabetic so the goodies are out. I can go do some of the local shops and get sugar-free candy or chocolate but she usually chucks it because she doesn't eat it. She sneaks the good stuff! On occasion I get her "real" stuff from a bakery but I feel bad about doing it. She loves books and movies and owns a library's worth of them! (ever seen the hoarders show? LOL) so it's kind of the default gift to buy her a book or new movie on dvd. When I say my grandmom has everything I am NOT kidding :) But she's not a fancy person - she really wants nothing special. Two years ago she had a radio that broke. DH and I got her a new portable radio with a cd player and tape deck that was like $30 and she was more than thrilled. Please keep the ideas coming though...the inspiration is good :)

Diabetes is about controlling carbs and sugars, not total elimination. So if she's managing her diabetes, she can have some of the "good stuff" as long as she's watching her overall intake. If I could get my hubs to do that he wouldn't need to be on so much insulin.... And cinnamon is used to help control diabetes so if you do decide to get the good stuff get her things with cinnamon. Does she like flavored coffees? The new flavored via from Starbucks are good and instant for those days when you want a cup but don't want to make a pot. If she likes tea, the Tazo Vanilla Rooibos is good, it's herbal also so no caffeine if she wants something kind of decadent in the evening...I do that with a little splenda in it for a treat at night when I want something sweet. I like the basket idea, you could stick a giftcard in it if you wanted but maybe some coffees, small goodies in individual sizes. THe idea someone had of making things for her freezer is also nice, maybe some single serving sizes of a favorite meal that she loves but doesn't make much cuz it's too much trouble for one.

I make for my grandma the calendars on Shutterfly every year. The calendars have pictures of my kids and then usually my brother and sister so some of her grandkids as well as some of her great grandkids and she LOVES it! She has it hanging in her room and tells my kids all the time that they are the first thing she sees every morning. They are $20.00 and the last couple of years they have had a B1G1 sale and so I always get one for my other grandma and then my mom, dh mom, dh grandma and myself!

doublehsmom's post reminded me of the photo books that you can make on Shutterfly. They are so cool!

I am getting a necklace for my Mom from etsy that has our names on it. Super cute and inexpensive too!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48580956/sterling-silver-handstamped-personalized?ref=sr_list_14&ga_search_query=mom+sterling+silver&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58258860/trinketssterling-silver-hand-stamped

http://www.etsy.com/listing/59122235/more-mixed-upsterling-silver-hand

The calendar might be a good idea. I wish I had access to some more pictures of her and her dog! My aunt might be able to help me out with that. It's actually something she doesn't have! LOL. For any of you that have a Keurig - do you know if they have any good caffeine free teas? She uses her machine some but doesn't do caffeine and she likes tea, so maybe that's and idea with one of those carousels.

If she likes tea - let me recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-K2070-Automatic-Electric/dp/B00023XCWS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1288120091&sr=8-13

It boils water in less than 2 minutes - it is the most awesome thing I have ever bought for anyone! My Stepdad loves tea, and he uses his kettle every day! Make sure you get a brand that has an automatic shut off.

What's nice about it is that most folks put the water in a mug in the microwave - which makes the mug hot. And if you boil water on the stove, you wait for the element to get hot. No chance of getting burned - and like I said it boils water in less than 2 minutes.

How about a basket of goodies. You can put her favorite treats in there. Also, put in a small memories box. Ask family members to write down a favorite memory that they shared with your grandmother. Place them all in the box and add to the basket. I'm sure she will love the walk down memory lane. I know a lot of people go through bouts of depression as they age and this might be a small way to help her combat it. :rwb:

My grandparents are the same way- and they would rather you didn't get them anything, but many of my cousins don't listen, so I don't want to look like the bad guy.

A few years ago, I heard her talking about a greeting card organizer. It was a book that allowed her to track who she sent to, who she received from, etc. She loves her cards. This year, I found on that had pockets by months, and is filled with tons of greeting cards. I'm writing down the b-days and anniversaries for her so she always has her cards.

I always get my grandmas a book of stamps. One of them is in a nursing home and writes letters to family so I get her stationery, envelopes & stamps. Other than that for that grandma, she really doesn't have room for much since she shares her room with someone else. We get her snacks, a calendar and money for the snack machine they have there. My other grandma, besides the stamps, I buy gift cards for the grocery store or Wal-Mart since she's on a fixed income. I also buy and put together a box of taxable stuff (toilet paper, soap, laundry detergent/softener, dish soap, tissues) that everyone needs but doesn't particularly care to buy for themselves.

My grandma was the same way. She was so giving but NEVER wanted anyone to buy for her. She shared my passion for shopping, so I always took her to Pigeon Forge, TN for the outlet malls twice a year. That made it much easier for me, cause I just followed her around in the stores and watched what she liked and tried to sneak and buy it for her. Of course, she knew what I was up too but tried to let me think I was pulling one over on her. Lol. She loved Aigner so I usually bought her shoes or a purse/wallet in the Aigner outlet store. She also really enjoyed those older lady cardigan sweaters, and Estee Lauder body powders.

Diabetes does complicate things a bit when it comes to giving snacks. My mom was dianosed with diabetes last year. In controlling her diabetes we have learned that sugar free candy is not what it seems. You have to learn to control your carbs and sugar free candy often contains as many or more carbs than sugar candy. A diabetic can have candy if they can portion it correctly, and of course walk....walk....walk. My grandma always enjoyed getting fruit baskets, so maybe that would be an alternative to candy.

Edited by Kim3498

my grandma is hard to buy for as well. I always get her some of those really cumfy socks (with the grippers on the bottom) from bath and body works every year. I have seen them at target as well. she has them on every time I go to see her..... put those with a good book and a nice soft blanket mabeye a candle???.. liked the idea of the certificate to get her hair done in the above posts... How about making a photobook or scrapbook of all the family or grandchildren????

We've given a stationary gift basket (Cards for all occasions, stationary, pen, stamps, return address labels, calendar for tracking birthdays/anniversaries) that Grandma really liked. When we lived out of town we made a food basket with some local favorites - a good ham from a local meat market, cheeses and flavored popcorn and fudge from small local businesses. Since my grandma is on a fixed income gift cards are very appriciated, especially for grocery or drug stores.

Are you crafty? You could make her one of the fleece blankets that you tie...they have many patterns and they don't really take long to make. I watched on youtube how to make one and did baby ones last year for showers and made my kids them for college (MLB and NFL). I like to do the basket idea too...you do a movie basket with dvd, theater snacks, popcorn or whatever she likes to snack on.

I agree with the fleece blanket idea. Or some other homemade gift.