Official Black Friday NETBOOK & TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

Is the netbook on Woot.com worth it? I was hoping to get one under $250, but I am torn and obviously need to do more research. 5 hours doesn't seem like a very long time - and the processor may give fits when online gaming??? It is for my 7 y/o to do online gaming - would this work?

Note these are SOLD OUT as of 1:20 PM Eastern time. :(

I'm hoping to see good deals on tablets. While I don't expect any deals on and Ipad, I would love to see a good android based tablet go on sale at a decent price in time for the holidays. I know of at least a couple good ones coming down the road, but I don't think they'll be in time for the holidays..heh.

• 2 weeks later...

Office Max had a ONLINE Only deal for a 150$ HP Mini Netbook. And I missed it! Damn. It even had the new Atom Processor. :eyepoppin If that is a look of things to come, im DAMN exicted.

http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/netbook-computers/product-prod3030568

This makes me excited too because they had a deal on a netbook last BF for $150. If they are doing this now then they should be cheaper BF. Hopefully it won't be in store only like last year because I don't have any near me. Crossin' my fingers though! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I think this will be the "hot" tech tool. http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=us&lang=enCan do all the things netbooks can, except faster and with a better battery life. Kicks ipad as its half the price, has webcam ( ipad doesn't) has usb port, has micro sd slot and can do flash (ipad can't) has wireless and you can tether it to your cell phone. :yup:

• 2 weeks later...
So my 7 and 8 year old have both asked for laptops and of course my first thought was no way but now that I see TRU has netbooks for $80 im thinking maybe going that route. I of course know NOTHING about netbooks sooo is this ok for a 7 and 8 year old?? Can they play games on it? They use my computer all the time to play on disney.com and other sites like that.

Sylvania Tablet Specs:

* Android 2.1

* 7-inch 800 x 480 screen

* Six hours of battery life

* 1GHz ARM 11 Processor

* 512 MB RAM OR 256MB RAM

* 2GB Flash memory OR 18GB hard drive

* Front facing camera

* MicroSD card slot

* 802.11b/g

* WiFi

* Two Mini-USB Sockets

* HDMI-output

Sylvania Tablet Specs:

* Android 2.1

* 7-inch 800 x 480 screen

* Six hours of battery life

* 1GHz ARM 11 Processor

* 512 MB RAM OR 256MB RAM

* 2GB Flash memory OR 18GB hard drive

* Front facing camera

* MicroSD card slot

* 802.11b/g

* WiFi

* Two Mini-USB Sockets

* HDMI-output

Is this a good one???

Ok I am going to sound dumb here. What exactly can be done with Android and what exactly is it? I know there are android phones tablets etc. Can you go on the internet and browse? Do you need wi fi also with an android (phone/tablet) or is it built in to get on the internet. How does it work?? Can they be used as an ereader?

Thanks for any help here. Tablets are new to me, I have not really looked into them and I know nothing about Androids.

Android is an operating system designed by Google. Kinda like how your computer runs Windows. Many phones run Android. It makes your phone act more like a mobile computer than a traditional cell phone. Built in email, web browsing, music playing, movie watching, youtube...etc. While it is very advanced, it STILL is not in the same class as a desktop computer or laptop. There will be limits as to what it can do... like websites that have Flash or Shockwave will work on a very limited basis or not at all. Now many companies are jumping onto the tablet bandwagon and putting Android on tablets. Tablets have bigger screens than cell phones, but they will be missing the cell phone features such as calling or text messaging.

Don't think of a tablet as a computer replacement but more so as a compliment to your computer for your internet connectivity.

If you are sitting on the couch watching TV and you get a Facebook notification... no need to run to your computer.... just pick up your tablet sitting on your coffee table to check it.

Example of an Android tablet:

[video=youtube;bOpegRabe5I]

Android is an operating system designed by Google. Kinda like how your computer runs Windows. Many phones run Android. It makes your phone act more like a mobile computer than a traditional cell phone. Built in email, web browsing, music playing, movie watching, youtube...etc. While it is very advanced, it STILL is not in the same class as a desktop computer or laptop. There will be limits as to what it can do... like websites that have Flash or Shockwave will work on a very limited basis or not at all. Now many companies are jumping onto the tablet bandwagon and putting Android on tablets. Tablets have bigger screens than cell phones, but they will be missing the cell phone features such as calling or text messaging.

Don't think of a tablet as a computer replacement but more so as a compliment to your computer for your internet connectivity.

If you are sitting on the couch watching TV and you get a Facebook notification... no need to run to your computer.... just pick up your tablet sitting on your coffee table to check it.

Ah thanks so its another gadget, When I am watching TV my laptop is next to me (lol) I was just wondering if I should get something like that to take with me when I go out to have access to the internet. Would that work? Say I am out shopping, or at a swim meet I dont want to miss whats going on here on GD, would the android tablet work so I could check in on GD while away from home. Can you tell I am addicted to GD. Do I have to have wi fi or does it have 3g so I can get on the internet.

Ok I am going to sound dumb here. What exactly can be done with Android and what exactly is it? I know there are android phones tablets etc. Can you go on the internet and browse? Do you need wi fi also with an android (phone/tablet) or is it built in to get on the internet. How does it work?? Can they be used as an ereader?

Thanks for any help here. Tablets are new to me, I have not really looked into them and I know nothing about Androids.

You aren't dumb!! I had the same questions:D

Ok, I am looking for something for my 10yo daughter. She wants a "laptop" but I was looking at the netbooks and then the Android. She just wants to get on the internet and play games and maybe look at YouTube videos.

I have been looking through different threads trying to find this same answer too LOL. Looks like we among a lot of others Are asking this same question, What's the cheapest laptop, or netbook, or Android for a kid to play games, youtube, and facebook. I beg some computer savy person to tell us what that is...