Turbotax Deluxe with State

I need the Deluxe with State because I dont file the EZ form. I went there and its $49.99 plus they have a $10 Coupon that starts 1/7/09 for $10 off. So they are the cheapest around.

but no state efile with this, $19.95, yikes.....I know some states have free efile, how can you send an efile from Turbo to your state if its free without using Turbo services

I need the Deluxe with State because I dont file the EZ form. I went there and its $49.99 plus they have a $10 Coupon that starts 1/7/09 for $10 off. So they are the cheapest around.

Do you know if that includes a free federal efile? Thanks!

Do you know if that includes a free federal efile? Thanks!

The one at Costco TurboTax Deluxe for $49.99 ($10 coupon starting today) did include 5 free federal efiles, you could download state, state efile was $19.95. I was reading the label, I miss when you could get the efiles for free (all)

federal efiles are free, regardless of the software.

I'm a CPA, and I only recommend www.taxact.com to someone who wants to do their own (and no, it's not just for EZ). It's free (minus your state) and updated in realtime so you won't have the issues that are possible with boxed software. Boxed software is produced in the masses, so if there is a glitch (and there normally is) it is in every piece of software, which they will not fix.

I'm a CPA, and I only recommend www.taxact.com to someone who wants to do their own (and no, it's not just for EZ). It's free (minus your state) and updated in realtime so you won't have the issues that are possible with boxed software. Boxed software is produced in the masses, so if there is a glitch (and there normally is) it is in every piece of software, which they will not fix.

Are there any free ones regardless of income levels? online of course.

www.taxact.com is fully free- regardless of income. If your state charges, you do have to pay their fees. Missouri is less than $15- or was last year. I'm not sure what it is this year.

Thanks. I usually use taxslayer and they have all my depreciations on "file" so it's easy to just continue. I'll give taxact a try.

• 2 weeks later...
Per the taxact website: "TaxACT Online can import tax data from PDF files prepared by the following software solutions: TurboTax®, TaxCut®, TaxSlayer, CompleteTax®, ezTaxReturn.com, FreeTaxUSA™, eSmart® Tax, On-Line Taxes, TaxBrain.com®, ATX™, Lacerte®, ProSeries®, and NTS TaxVision."

So, Bing is offering 15% cash back at Walmart.com again, so if you choose ship to store, you can now get it for $41.75...best I'm finding so far, but I'm still waiting for it to get down under $40.

Someone at work told me today that she always buys the TT Federal each year and then goes to Dollar Tree and gets the State version for $1. I haven't looked at our Dollar Tree yet, but I'd be jumping up & down if that's true! :cheesy:

lol hpowers, me either. I'm really not sure why someone would pay (not much less than a qualified tax preparer) for a software that actually has LESS benefits and a higher risk for error than the free software.

To each his own, I guess- just gotta hope they don't get caught up in one of the huge TT glitches!

lol hpowers, me either. I'm really not sure why someone would pay (not much less than a qualified tax preparer) for a software that actually has LESS benefits and a higher risk for error than the free software.

To each his own, I guess- just gotta hope they don't get caught up in one of the huge TT glitches!

I was wondering what you would say to this. I thought maybe I was missing something. Yes, to each his own.

amyers, what am I doing wrong? I used taxact for friend who only made $4600. When I try to efile it wants to charge $14.95. Is there a charge for efiling?

I figured it out. It's for the state return. I'll fill it in by hand before paying the $15.

Edited by hpowers

I prefer to have the software installed on my computer to use without loading all of my info onto a website. I also use it to prepare returns for other people/family members.

lol hpowers, me either. I'm really not sure why someone would pay (not much less than a qualified tax preparer)

I have yet to find a tax preparer that will do my taxes for less than $100...much less for what I normally pay for TT.

for a software that actually has LESS benefits and a higher risk for error than the free software.

How does TT have less benefits and higher risk for error than the free stuff?

TT is the only software that's had glitches? Highly unlikely.

Crue (sorry- can't get multiple quotes to work)

You don't have to fill out the information on the web. Most of the free software sites offer a download option- some will even send a CD (for a small fee).

Have you looked into private preparers or even CPAs? I don't refer to franchised operations as tax preparers. If it's a basic return, most licensed and certified preparers around here charge less than $75.

The higher risk for error comes with having actual software that was manufactured to be put on shelves before the first filing date. It has to be made early, but congress is actually allowed to change the laws, deductions, exemptions, etc until the first filing day of the year- January 15th this year. This year is a perfect example of that, as they are now allowing donations to Haiti to be tax deductible, which happened after the date. Most of this can be solved by running updates, but a lot of the people who buy the software to avoid downloads do not install updates before using it.

I never said that TT was the only software for glitches- all are subject, and this thread is about TT. It's a LOT easier to fix them with an online service than to pull the software off of the shelves and re-manufacture it.

That's not true!!!! TT checks for updates everytime you start it.

That's not true!!!! TT checks for updates everytime you start it.

Re-read my post. You only update if you choose to, and many are too scared to use it online, hence buying the disk. If you buy the disk to avoid web services, chances are you don't use it while you're connected to the internet.

I plainly said you can update it- but many don't.