Our December 1st tradition!

abentley

I thought I would share this idea of what has become our tradition on December 1st. My MIL started it with her 6 kids and grandkids, and now I am also carrying it on. She had a book compiled of 25 Christmas Stories. One to read each night of December and ending with The Nativity and Twas the Night Before Christmas. Every December 1st she would bring over a big can of hot cocoa, popcorn, candy, etc. for the kids to snack on during the month while reading her book she gave us. She also would bring an ornament or decoration for each child to unwrap and enjoy.

My book is now at the printers getting copied into 5 more books for my children to have for their kids, and now I will be adding to her tradition. I can't tell you how much fun my kids have had over the years with this book. Some stories are super short, some longer, but all classics. I think it helped embrace a few stories that they might not of read on their own!

We do something similar with our kids. I have a Christmas basket at the center of the table in the family room. It is filled with different Christmas story books. Each night before bed we all sit together in the family room and read a story. The kids get to take turns picking out a book. When we first started my husband or I would read the stories. Now we have the kids reading them on most nights. It is alot of fun and the kids look forward to it. I try to add 1-2 books each year so that we are not always reading the same books.

I don't have a collection, but we have started reading Christmas stories at bedtime. I found some good ones at Dollar Tree last year, and they have either added more titles this year or just have more that I didn't find last year. They rhyme, have a good rythm, keep my kids interest, and I enjoy reading them. We have The Little Fir Tree, Letter to Santa, The Nutcracker, and some more that I can't find right now.

My kids just got 2 more stories today as gifts. They also rhyme, which helps to keep DS3's attention. They are Mary's Christmas Story and Joseph's Christmas Story, part of the Arch Books Bible Story Series. Not my absolute favorites, but the kids liked them.