Are the hard drives at WM and at Target the same item?

beccasbank

In reference to the Western Digital 1TB external hard drive at WM for $78 and the Western Digital 1TB desktop hard drive for $59.98 at Target? If these are the same thing, just a different description, can't I prime match at WM if I have the Target ad with me? TIA Edited by Marcster
Edited thread title for clarity.

Generally an EXTERNAL hard drive is one that connects to a computer via an outside source (USB/Firewire) and a DESKTOP hard drive would be one that is physically inside the machine. That's what I am thinking is the case here, there is a difference in the actual size of a hard drive for a laptop and one for a desktop which would be why they call it a "desktop" hard drive. Appears to be two different ones based on the wording alone but try and get the model numbers to be certain

My personal opinion, I'm not so sure they are the same exact item, so you might not be able to price match. However, I do think they DO the same thing, seems they have the same capacity too.

When searching for the 'Desktop' one I got this on the mfg's site: HERE

http://www.wdc.com/global/images/products/img2/300/wdfElements_BAAU.jpg

I *believe* this is the one that is going to be on Sale at Walmart: HERE

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/71/80/37/75/0071803775825_215X215.jpg

I just look at the target ad and it says that it's a 1TB desktop hard drive or a 500 MB portable hard drive.

So I would think that the 1TB one is an internal and the 500 MB one is an external USB drive.

Thanks, I think that I will now consider the WM one instead of the Target one!:rolleyes:

I just look at the target ad and it says that it's a 1TB desktop hard drive or a 500 MB portable hard drive.

So I would think that the 1TB one is an internal and the 500 MB one is an external USB drive.

As was mentioned above, you are incorrect.

Skip back to "Page 3" and look in the upper right corner, you'll see the 1TB external hd pictured. The description is what you're reading on "Page 5" of the scanned ad....and that disconnect between the picture and the description is just a function of who scanned the ad.

Both are external drives.

I don't think I've ever seen an internal hard drive on the shelves at Target. True, a couple of internals are listed on Target's website, but neither are available in store.

As was mentioned above, you are incorrect.

Skip back to "Page 3" and look in the upper right corner, you'll see the 1TB external hd pictured. The description is what you're reading on "Page 5" of the scanned ad....and that disconnect between the picture and the description is just a function of who scanned the ad.

Both are external drives.

I don't think I've ever seen an internal hard drive on the shelves at Target. True, a couple of internals are listed on Target's website, but neither are available in store.

Oops I stand corrected.

Sorry about that.

So (forgive my ignorance) are they the same thing?

They are the same type of hard drive external that you would plug into the computer and to a wall socket for power.

The Portable hard drives just get plugged into the USB port and take the power from the port.

What I can tell fro the little research is the WM one is a Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential hard drive and the target is a Western Digital 1TB Elements Desktop.

Two different models of drives.

You can see them both here.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=8

How does this HD stack up{Meijers Tday} or should I go for the one at Target

Seagate 320GB Portable $59.99

I know NOTHING about this stuff but feel I need to back up my info and pics from my desktop.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks

Thanks so much for that link crazypurgatory. It helped me to see the difference. I think I'll go with the one at WM. I don't know what all the check marks mean, but the one at Target didn't have any checks, and the WM one did. Thanks again.

Well let me see if I can help you out on that.

The one at WM has WD Smart Ware I don't know what that is but it's probably lets you know if there is a problem with the hard drive.

Automatic Backup just what it says.

Password protection and hardware encryption just what it says you can probably turn this on and off.

Capacity gauge My guess is there is software preinstalled on the hard drive that will tell you how much space is left on the drive.

The target drive is just a portable drive no back up software on it.

The WM drive is more of a back up drive.

If you are going to use it juts for more space you can still do that but you might have to fight with the preinstalled software on the drive.

I'm sure it will tell you how to do that.

ty for all the info. I am confused about these as well...Which kind would I need if my purpose of purchasing one is to store photos and video on it without risk of them ever getting wiped out. I planned on putting the drive in our firesafe box when not adding to it. Will one of these serve that purpose?

Before you mention flash drives, I have a crapload and am trying to get organized. The cost is adding up too. We already have over 2000 pics of my 9 month old and I am not getting less obnoxious with the camera but more...lol

ty for all the info. I am confused about these as well...Which kind would I need if my purpose of purchasing one is to store photos and video on it without risk of them ever getting wiped out. I planned on putting the drive in our firesafe box when not adding to it. Will one of these serve that purpose?

Before you mention flash drives, I have a crapload and am trying to get organized. The cost is adding up too. We already have over 2000 pics of my 9 month old and I am not getting less obnoxious with the camera but more...lol

The one at Target is the one you would want it would show up as just another drive on you computer and you can drag and drop things to it.

Where the one at walmart can do the same thing but it has software on it so when you plug it in it will automatically back up your hard drive.

Like I said before I'm sure you could disable this feature it just might take some work.

Both drives are good but I am a "Seagate" man. LOL

I just got burned on a western digital drive before it lasted a month and I lost all my music.

I guess the bottom line is these Co.'s make so many hard drives that there is sure to be a couple junk ones made.

I guess I have had good luck with my Seagate drives.

I have one that's at least 20 years old and it's almost as big as a shoe box and it will still turn on but I don't have an old computer to use it on. lol

Both drives are good but I am a "Seagate" man. LOL

So should I go with the Seagate one from Meijer(see post #16) or the one from Target?

I don't have a ton of data but pics and financial info

Thanks

Edited by 3 boys
number post

So should I go with the Seagate one from Meijer(see post #16) or the one from Target?

I don't have a ton of data but pics and financial info

Thanks

Well I would say it's a toss up.

I have not had any problems with any of the new or used Seagate I have but a close friend of mine loves western digital hard drives and has never had a problem with them.

Your best deal on the Seagate drive is at Staples 1TB hard drive same type as the one at meijer as far as I can tell.

As for the western digital drive you have Target and walmart.

If you went with the western digital I would recommend the one at target.

The one at walmart has an automatic back up so if you got that one you would have to disable that.

Hey all....

to clear up the Wal-Mart / Target / Office Depot question I have the following:

Walmart has the My Book Essentials 1TB HD $78; specs (16 mb buffer time, 7200 rpm,usb 2.0)

Target has the Elements 1 TB HD $59.98; specs (16mb buffer time, 5400rpm, usb 2.0)

Office Depot has Seagate HD 1.5TB $119.99; specs (32mb buffer time, 7200 rpm, usb 2.0 device)

If you don't know much about the specs...the buffer time is better the higher the mb, the rpm is better the higher the number, and all the devices I've seen on sale run on usb 2.0 instead of fire wire.

So, I would say either office depot or Walmart would be your best bet. I just came home from Wal Mart with one. You can buy them before 5 a.m. if your Walmart is open.

My Book Essentials 1TB

Walmart offerred me a 1 year warranty for $5.98. When I registered the product online, it was already out of warranty on the 18th of this month. The NC start with WCAV. All Western Digital products start with WD. ?? The packaging states "1 Year limited warranty". I copied all of the included software to a local folder, then formated to NTFS with Windows 7.

Hey all....

to clear up the Wal-Mart / Target / Office Depot question I have the following:

Walmart has the My Book Essentials 1TB HD $78; specs (16 mb buffer time, 7200 rpm,usb 2.0)

Target has the Elements 1 TB HD $59.98; specs (16mb buffer time, 5400rpm, usb 2.0)

Office Depot has Seagate HD 1.5TB $119.99; specs (32mb buffer time, 7200 rpm, usb 2.0 device)

If you don't know much about the specs...the buffer time is better the higher the mb, the rpm is better the higher the number, and all the devices I've seen on sale run on usb 2.0 instead of fire wire.

So, I would say either office depot or Walmart would be your best bet. I just came home from Wal Mart with one. You can buy them before 5 a.m. if your Walmart is open.

I Priced matched the target one at Walmart this morning