Does my sons xbox arcade need a special memory card to save?

mamanuevo

I brought my son 10 a Xbox 360 Arcade and a new game for christmas. I want to make sure I got everthing he needs for christmas morning. Do I need anything else like memory cards or extra wires? Thanks

As far as I know the Xbox Arcade has not memory or a very small hard drive, I dont think it takes memory cards. I know people who purchase the arcade also get a hard drive to go with it. I think some get it off ebay. My DS has a 20gb Xbox and that is how he saves games. I am sure someone more knowledable than I am will let you know if I am correct.

Without a hard drive you cant save games.

Not true. It comes with(according to Xbox.com) a 512mb memory card(previous models had 256mb, but this changed recently). You can save games on the card. But you may want to invest in a hard drive later. By the time, you buy another memory card (512mb about $50) you could buy a refurbished 20 GB hard drive (lots of room) or even a 60GB for not much more. Then you can download demos and movies.

I brought my son 10 a Xbox 360 Arcade and a new game for christmas. I want to make sure I got everthing he needs for christmas morning. Do I need anything else like memory cards or extra wires? Thanks

He will not have any issues playing and saving on Christmas with what you have. He can play and save right out of the box. Although you may want to add a hard drive later. Maybe he gets gift cards and can add that. In the arcade you can upgrade the wires but not necessary. I did that later too. As the pro in ds8 room had a better picture on the same kind of tv. You will need an xbox live card if he wants to go live.

Yea, it should have a memory card with it and that will be fine for now but if he is going to be playing a lot of different games then you might want to look into a hard drive.

Not true. It comes with(according to Xbox.com) a 512mb memory card(previous models had 256mb, but this changed recently). You can save games on the card. But you may want to invest in a hard drive later. By the time, you buy another memory card (512mb about $50) you could buy a refurbished 20 GB hard drive (lots of room) or even a 60GB for not much more. Then you can download demos and movies.

Do we need wireless internet to go on line. We still have a desk top.:grandpa: If the a hard drive does not get us online, I see that Amazon has a 512mb on sale for $24.xx should I buy this one?

Thanks

I don't know if you have to have a hard drive to play online. I do know the hard drive from a banned xbox will be fine it's the xbox that is banned not the hard drive or live acount. As for wireless internet that is not required you can plug a lan cable into the back of the xbox and then into your router. Now if you want to go wireless you'll have to buy a wireless adapter for your xbox (no you can't use a usb adapter I tried) and, it's about $77 at Wal mart, oh and a live account I think 12 months is $50 or so.

My sons old xbox had the ring of death on it so he bought the arcade version and took the hard drive from the old one and put it on the arcade one. Works great. If he has a friend with one that dont work, try to get the hard drive and put it on this one.

You'll need a wireless router to go online. We gave my son the XBox 360 for Christmas last year. He was able to play games right out of the box but we picked up a hard drive on ebay a month or two later. It was used and wasn't that big of an investment money-wise. I think it was $20 or $30. The router was more expensive. My husband got it at Radio Shack and if I'm not mistake it was about $80. You need that if you want XBox Live. You also have to pay for the XBox Live, which is $20 for 3 months, $50 for 12 months. You can pick up XBox Live cards at any game store, Walmart, Target, etc. BTW, we have a desktop computer and the router is hooked up to it. My son uses it to go online with his PSP too.

BTW, I know nothing about video game systems or games. I picked up this info as we went along. :smart:

The arcade needs a hard drive to play any Xbox games (old system Xbox, non-xbox 360). To make it backward compatible to play those you must download the patch and that has to go on the hard drive. The new systems are 512 MB, HOWEVER, if you've bought from any of the recent deals, they shipped out 256 MB instead which are the older models. He will be able to play and save right out of the box though as long as it is a 360 game.

You do not need wireless to play on line if you have a space to plug it into the router/modem. If you want wireless you need to buy a wireless adapter for the 360 separately. You do need XBox Live Gold to play online with friends which is a subscription. The system should come with at least a month free. After that they have a lower version that is free but you can't play with friends online or do some other things.

I've been watching for hard drives so here are your best shots. A 20 GB can be picked up on Amazon for around $35 to $40. A 60 GB starter kit is around $86 on Amazon. The kit comes with 3 months of Live Gold, the head set, a cable to hook up internet (not the wireless part, but hardwired) andthe 60GB drive. They make the same starter kit with a 20 GB but its harder to find and for the price difference, the 60 GB is better.

Also, your system probably only came with 1 controller, so if someone else is going to play with him right away, you'll need to get more.

Best place to get Xbox Live cards is somewhere like Costco where they are about $10 off ($40 a year I think it was).

You do not need wireless to play on line if you have a space to plug it into the router/modem. If you want wireless you need to buy a wireless adapter for the 360 separately. You do need XBox Live Gold to play online with friends which is a subscription. The system should come with at least a month free. After that they have a lower version that is free but you can't play with friends online or do some other things.

Just wanted to mention that if that's the route you go, you'll need to make sure that the router is in within the cord's distance of the xbox 360. For example if your router is in an office and the TV is in the living room, you'd either need wireless internet or a long enough ethernet cord to stretch from the office to the living room.

The arcade needs a hard drive to play any Xbox games (old system Xbox, non-xbox 360). To make it backward compatible to play those you must download the patch and that has to go on the hard drive. The new systems are 512 MB, HOWEVER, if you've bought from any of the recent deals, they shipped out 256 MB instead which are the older models. He will be able to play and save right out of the box though as long as it is a 360 game.

I've been watching for hard drives so here are your best shots. A 20 GB can be picked up on Amazon for around $35 to $40. A 60 GB starter kit is around $86 on Amazon. The kit comes with 3 months of Live Gold, the head set, a cable to hook up internet (not the wireless part, but hardwired) andthe 60GB drive. They make the same starter kit with a 20 GB but its harder to find and for the price difference, the 60 GB is better.

Also, your system probably only came with 1 controller, so if someone else is going to play with him right away, you'll need to get more.

Best place to get Xbox Live cards is somewhere like Costco where they are about $10 off ($40 a year I think it was).

Oh no! Do you mean he can not use the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lord game I got him on ebay.

:bigcry: